GAS Help, Marshall Code 25

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11787
    Alnico said:
    ^ Yeah I agree !

There's a few cheaper ones around but the Huddle was a known good one. These are maybe cheap for a reason on eBay.
    We'll see I suppose.

I *might* get one secondhand for this,  since it's *just* for using with the amp.
    I just checked and sadly the Marshall Gateway app isn't in Amazon's app store, which rules out their (excellent) cheap tablets.
    Takes five minutes (and nothing technical) to install the Google Play store on Amazon tablets. I bought a Fire HD 8 tablet on Prime Day for £50. Took me a few minutes to get the regular Google Play Store on there and install Google's own launcher so I don't have to see any of Amazon's front end.
    With the APK file?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:
    ^ Yeah I agree !

There's a few cheaper ones around but the Huddle was a known good one. These are maybe cheap for a reason on eBay.
    We'll see I suppose.

I *might* get one secondhand for this,  since it's *just* for using with the amp.
    I just checked and sadly the Marshall Gateway app isn't in Amazon's app store, which rules out their (excellent) cheap tablets.
    Takes five minutes (and nothing technical) to install the Google Play store on Amazon tablets. I bought a Fire HD 8 tablet on Prime Day for £50. Took me a few minutes to get the regular Google Play Store on there and install Google's own launcher so I don't have to see any of Amazon's front end.
    Wow, REALLY?
    (Yes, obviously I know you're not lying I'm just kind of excited at reading that !)

That's fantastic, I REALLY wanted a kindle.
    In fact I'm sure Natasha has one I can hijack for now.

Thanks man, that's very cool.
    :)
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Here you go, here's the instructions I followed to install the Play store on mine.  http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-2017-fire-tablets-in-5-minutes/

The only tricky thing is Amazon don't let you set other launchers as default. But I found an app called Launcher Hijack that let me use the Google launcher. On my regular Android stuff I use Nova Launcher, but couldn't get widgets to work on the Fire with that, but widgets DO work with the Google launcher.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    BTW Marshall Gateway installs and runs fine on the Fire HD 8. Just tried it. However as I don't own a CODE amp I can't tell you if it connects okay with the hardware.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I gave you a wow and a wisdom.
    Thank you man, I'll be getting one in the new few weeks and I'll let you know how I get on.

That's just Whizzo that is.

Nice one.
    :)
    Crikey, so I can install the app on my current Amazon tablet, thought Amazon had taken measures on sideloading the play store, glad they haven't!

So a couple of questions I've come up with....

1. How does the code compare to the new Fender GT amps?  These seem to have been slated in some quarters.
    2.  Would the Code 50 be giggable like the Katana 50, or is it  not quite that loud?
    3. Does the bigger panel and screen on the Code 50 make it easier to program from the amp panel, or are they both pretty easy (app notwithstanding, I just put it on my phone to check it and it seems pretty solid).
    edited July 2017
    Crikey, so I can install the app on my current Amazon tablet, thought Amazon had taken measures on sideloading the play store, glad they haven't!

So a couple of questions I've come up with....

1. How does the code compare to the new Fender GT amps?  These seem to have been slated in some quarters.
    2.  Would the Code 50 be giggable like the Katana 50, or is it  not quite that loud?
    3. Does the bigger panel and screen on the Code 50 make it easier to program from the amp panel, or are they both pretty easy (app notwithstanding, I just put it on my phone to check it and it seems pretty solid).
    1 - No Idea

2 - Yes, I reckon the 25 in Stereo would do an ok job but these things are loud so Yes, I'd say the 50 is giggable and @FarleyUK has already said as much.

3 - I've just sold my Katana 50 to buy the CODE 25.
    Yes, the panel does feel easier to me and the screen is an advantage but the Katana IS more basic so it's just what appeals to me and that's the Marshall.
    It's a taste thing I think. The Katana is plug n play and VERY easy to program so it doesn't need a screen but the amount that's in the Marshall I think it does and I like it, plus I LOVE the styling.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I'll guarantee that the CODE 50 is way louder than the Katana 50. It's a genuine 50 watts RMS. Its maximum power draw from the mains is 75 watts which is just about identical to the Katana 100 and it's easily giggable. I'd say the CODE 25 is more equivalent to the Katana 50. The slight downside of the CODE 50 is that the speaker really needs to be pushed a bit before it sounds it's best and at that point it may be a bit loud for home use. The larger screen does make it easier to set up presets though. I only use Gateway to sync my presets to my My Marshall account as a backup.

Comparing CODE with Mustang is a bit of an apples and oranges exercise really. CODE has the best and most extensive Marshall models whilst Mustang has the best and most extensive Fender models. What I will say is that, with CODE, every single thing that can be altered can be done on the amp itself. You don't need a computer and some special piece of software to access or change certain features like you do with some modellers.

Hope this helps.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    edited July 2017
    I reckon the 50 would be giggable it's bloody loud, even the 25 is! The bigger screen does make it a bit easier to program but not much in it, they're both pretty simple tbh. The bigger screen does show all the controls for effects etc as dials which helps visualise things a bit. Using the app is the best way to edit your presets though, very intuitive and if you want/need more precision you can press and hold a setting to bring up a keypad to get it just right. 

I realise I'm biased but I've spent a lot of time with the Code now and I've gone from meh to really impressed. I wish the factory presets were a bit more stripped back with less gain and fx.
    @TTBZ when I first got my CODE I tested it against my 2x12 100 watt Valvestate set at the volume I'd last used it gigging with a full band. Admittedly the Valvestate only had to be on 3 for that (they're really loud amps) but I only had to set the CODE to about 4 to get a similar volume. It's just loud, it's Marshall loud :3
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Plectrum said:
    @TTBZ when I first got my CODE I tested it against my 2x12 100 watt Valvestate set at the volume I'd last used it gigging with a full band. Admittedly the Valvestate only had to be on 3 for that (they're really loud amps) but I only had to set the CODE to about 4 to get a similar volume. It's just loud, it's Marshall loud :3
    That the 25 or the 50?
    Plectrum said:
    That the 25 or the 50?

It's the 50.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited July 2017
    Now £145 on Amazon, the Marshall Code 25.

Just looked on Amazon - can't see it at £145.  It's showing at £167 or £149 if you have Amazon Prime - am I looking in the right place?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-CODE-Bluetooth-Guitar-Combo/dp/B01AZ8VCOY

But if you want the Marshall Code floor controller, DV247 are doing it for only £29 instead of £49 (plus £4.99 delivery - but free delivery if you also buy the Code 25 at £167 - and DV247 give a free 3-year warranty.):

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/marshall-code-footswitch-pedl1009--229713
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    @voxman quite correct it has gone back up to £149 and I do have prime, as such it didn't indicate a prime exclusive offer.

It was from a seller called Rich Tone Music I got my Katana 50 from them.