Hi, my name is Jack, and I have a problem...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4930
    Well, I like to pick up scruffy/broken guitars and get them back shipshape; once they're done, I generally offer them on.

I'm currently working on a partscaster and I think it's going to be a keeper - the first time I played a chord it was one of those "Crikey!" moments.

I've also got a Warwick bass which I won't be upset if it doesn't sell and a Martin Sigma acoustic which is very nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Alnico said:
    I know what you mean and I do sometimes too but this year I made a solid promise to only buy guitars that I know I'll keep and so far I'm 4 electrics in and I love them all, each for what they are and won't sell them. I own 6 electrics but two of them were gifts which make them even more special. I'm really quite proud of myself this year, I mean I genuinely love each guitar on its own merits and I haven't made any mistakes with any one of them so far. On that basis, they were all new but I do hang out for end of line deals and 3 of the 4 I've bought were discontinued, end of line stock clearance deals which really blasted the new prices.

LTD - EC-401 Satin Grey Metallic - Down from £775 to £550
    Ibanez RGIR20E - Down from £699 to £449
    Ibanez RGIR27E - Down from £749 to 499

The Gretsch Streamliner G2420 was £380 which is an absolute bargain anyway for such a well made hollow body/semi.

There's something really satisfying about getting those deals and getting a guitar which has gone out of production, in my mind it makes it a bit more unique to me.
    At that rate you'll be knee deep in guitars you'll never sell in about 4 or 5 years time.
     :) 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Sassafras said:
    At that rate you'll be knee deep in guitars you'll never sell in about 4 or 5 years time.

You say that like it's a bad thing ...... ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Jalapeno said:
    Sassafras said:

I agree.
    That's kind of half the plan really.

We live in a bedsit and don't own a car so why the hell not?
    I'm in a band (I formed it) so there's an opportunity to use them at some point.
    Although there are pictures on the wall (Soon when I actually get around to hanging them), I love seeing a wall full of guitars because now I don't get involved with cars and motorbikes, guitars are the only thing I'm into.
    I get a real kick out of restringing and cleaning them up every now and then when they need it.
    I love New Guitar Day.

What's not to like?

I had DECADES of not being able to do this and always having one POS guitar so now I can do this, I love doing it.
    It's that simple really.

None of what I buy comes close to your average high-end guitar owner who has let's say a CS Strat, an R9, A lazy J, maybe an original Fender Twin, a Gibson 345 .....etc and I know a fair few of them!

I go for what they would consider bargain basement stuff but to me, they're really nice, well specced guitars that all have a purpose and all get played, displayed (Until I run out of wall space) and most importantly loved.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Alnico said:
    God, Ibanez really do knock it out of the park for value for money.

Just look at THIS and then look at the price.
    For what it is it's a stunning amount of guitar for the money!
    they're great. I got one of the Jake Bowen signature models for just over 700; even thought that's a bit more expensive the quality is amazing for the money.

Really regretting not snapping up a Universe on eBay for £790 a few days ago - the black one with white binding and that eye hologram thing below the trem. Mint condition too :(
    er............all is not lost !

Click THIS..........
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Alnico said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Sassafras said:

I agree.

I'm in a band (I formed it) so there's an opportunity to use them at some point.
    Although there are pictures on the wall (Soon when I actually get around to hanging them), I love seeing a wall full of guitars because now I don't get involved with cars and motorbikes, guitars are the only thing I'm into.
    I get a real kick out of restringing and cleaning them up every now and then when they need it.
    I love New Guitar Day.

What's not to like?

I had DECADES of not being able to do this and always having one POS guitar so now I can do this, I love doing it.
    It's that simple really.

None of what I buy comes close to your average high-end guitar owner who has let's say a CS Strat, an R9, A lazy J, maybe an original Fender Twin, a Gibson 345 .....etc and I know a fair few of them!

I go for what they would consider bargain basement stuff but to me, they're really nice, well specced guitars that all have a purpose and all get played, displayed (Until I run out of wall space) and most importantly loved.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it either, I'm just worried that you might have trouble negotiating your way to the front door in a hurry.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    £400-500 is about the perfect price range where imo spending more wont really get you much more other than fancier finishes and shit that doesn't really matter. I love a proper cheapie as well, still want an affinity tele or Vintage V100.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Alnico said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Sassafras said:

I agree.

I love New Guitar Day.

What's not to like?

It's that simple really.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it either, I'm just worried that you might have trouble negotiating your way to the front door in a hurry.
    LOL,

That's what I call a not-bad day.

Some days I can't even find the door.
    ;)
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Alnico said:
    You're not the only one man.

For me, it's the £400-600 bracket, especially Ibanez, LTD and similar.

I've just put a deposit on a 7 string which is the Gemini twin to my 6 string Iron Label and I get that on August 9th.
    I've already seen the Ibanez I'm buying AFTER that............that's like over 4 weeks away and I've already mentally spent the money.
    I've got 5 electrics, 6 if you include the new 7 string and I'm still looking at more 'RG's' even though I'll own two soon and despite my Strat being an American Pro, I still want another Strat just to fit the EMG Gilmour loaded scratchplate into!

It never ends.

I've just given up fighting it now and admitted that I'm addicted to having lots of guitars.
    I seriously need to pop by and play your guitars. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Alnico said:
    You're not the only one man.

For me, it's the £400-600 bracket, especially Ibanez, LTD and similar.

I've just put a deposit on a 7 string which is the Gemini twin to my 6 string Iron Label and I get that on August 9th.
    I've already seen the Ibanez I'm buying AFTER that............that's like over 4 weeks away and I've already mentally spent the money.
    I've got 5 electrics, 6 if you include the new 7 string and I'm still looking at more 'RG's' even though I'll own two soon and despite my Strat being an American Pro, I still want another Strat just to fit the EMG Gilmour loaded scratchplate into!

It never ends.

I've just given up fighting it now and admitted that I'm addicted to having lots of guitars.
    I seriously need to pop by and play your guitars. 
    The 7 string arrives on August 9th so leave it until after that to see that one but yeah, pop by whenever you want man.
    Any day except Thursday. 
    I never could get the hang of Thursdays.