MIDI Y Split vs Thru Box

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
Any clues? Got an ES-5, Line 6 M5 and a TC Nova Drive. M5 does not have MIDI thru.

A box seems like the solution but i've seen MIDI splitters at a fraction of the price; plus I don't think the ES-5 does MIDI power so that limits my thru-box options a bit.

Help?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7198
    Kenton midi thru is where I ended up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    +1 on the Kenton midi through. That's what I got to solve my midi issues.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    This thread is relevant to my interests.

What's MIDI power? 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

What's MIDI power? 
    Powered via the midi cable from the parent device. Trouble is its often not implemented so you need to check.

What's MIDI power? 
    Powered via the midi cable from the parent device. Trouble is its often not implemented so you need to check.

What's MIDI power? 
    So like phantom power for MIDI?

I'm guessing it uses the pins on the DIN plug that the MIDI signals don't, so you'd also need to make sure your MIDI cables actually had those wired.

I did a bit of reading on this recently (two M5s on my new board, so having the same MIDI thru issue) and it looks like using a Y-cable runs the risk of damaging the pedal sending the signal. Didn't fully understand why.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I've recently connected some MIDI kit and I've got a simple little battery powered 1-3 MIDI thru box for the moment.

I didn't quite "get" splitters, as I'm not sure whether there could be signal issues. If boxes have a Thru port, then it's better to use that (though I did find one of mine added to the signal on channel 0, rather than just passing it through).

Along the way to getting to this point, I've not had a lot of help from shops; I've had someone in one in London be supercilious and unhelpful to the point I've complained to the manager, I've been in several shops where the staff only knew how to do Ableton over USB, I've had several who didn't know what a MIDI Thru box is (the quizzical "A MIDI through box, sir?!?" routine), and so-on. I've gone into shops ready to spend money and come out with nothing.

I also had one Thru box which malfunctioned (it would occasionally lose the the key lift, so the note would just play on forever) and it took a bit of effort ensuring that I could definitively pinpoint the issue, so that I could get a refund.

I've also found that I have a laptop which doesn't like connecting USB-MIDI and causes some kind of earth loop or something, so that's another pitfall encountered along the way.

At the moment I have PK-5A bass pedals, a minitaur, Peavey Spectrum and a Roland SH-32 connected up. I've also got a Roland JV-880 which I need to learn to use.

I'd really like to connect multiple controllers (keyboards and a Sonuus guitar-MIDI converter), so may look for something better.

@prowla what did you buy? All I need is something to pass MIDI clock and PC messages to two M5s so the simplest, cheapest solution is all good. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    @prowla what did you buy? All I need is something to pass MIDI clock and PC messages to two M5s so the simplest, cheapest solution is all good. 

I've got a Philip Rees V3 MIDI Thru - a tiny little unit with 4 DIN (1 in, 3 out) sockets.

Have you got a USB-MIDI interface for the PC? If not, you'll be needing either a USB dongle or a MIDISport.

More modern MIDI kit is USB enabled, but that brings its own issues with connectivity (how many MIDI ports has your PC got, USB 1.1/2/3, etc.).

The whole shebang is a bit disjointed, IMHO.

Thanks. I don't need to hook up a computer, just for use on my pedalboard between the M5s and a DD-500.