Delay for Country/Americana ?

What's Hot
AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
Looking for a new delay for my new pedal board build.

Massive ambient sounds or U2 layering isn't really my bag so after something for country twang, slap back, pedal steel sounds (without a pedal steel etc).

Any suggestions? I've yet to try Strymon but from the videos I've been watching I'm guessing they are all over the top for my needs.

Cheers

Al
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I'm using a boss dm2w and getting foid results. Mostly slap back and short delay.

For the pedal steel sound I go reverb over delay. Strymon flint is a good shout as you can also do the country tremolo thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I'm using a boss dm2w and getting foid results. Mostly slap back and short delay.

For the pedal steel sound I go reverb over delay. Strymon flint is a good shout as you can also do the country tremolo thing.

I thought about adding a Flint but was worried the sounds might be to similar to what I get from my amp 65 Princeton.

Will check that Boss out, never even considered that a option.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hardwire-Delay-Looper-Pedal-DL-8/222579439775?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My delay use is very basic and this pedal is all I've ever needed. It's got a few modes such as slapback, lo-fi, analogue etc...
  • 200 ms of an analogue delay. Will get you there. Carbon copy ?

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Meant to say.  On last post. That in a guitarist magazine Brad Paisley uses a DD3 and it was mentioned as the secret weapon 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Carbon Copy if you want a darker delay, does the slap thing well. I've got a DD3 which being digital is brighter than the CC but does a great slap. I run it into a slightly dirty sound to make the dekay a bit dirtier
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    AlexO said:
    Will check that Boss out, never even considered that a option.
    A Boss DD-7 covers all conventional (as opposed to weird) delay sounds.  It gives you super clean digitals, the analogue sounding option, and a couple of others too.  Plus it's tap tempo -- although you need Boss FS-5U (or any cheaper equivalent) to make tap tempo gigable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited July 2017
    Having spent a few years frankly failing to be a decent steel player, one thing I took away is the general-purpose modern day pedal steel delay setting espoused by many - basically one repeat at about half volume at around 330ms. I use that for faux-steel with a vol pedal and also for basic lead fattening. So if you go bucket brigade delay, it would be nice to ensure it goes that long. 

I use a Montavillian for country/Americana and it does a good job for basically swapping between 330ms and a kinda Scotty-alike slapback. The tone knob is a nice feature. 
  • BTW which artists ? I love the early Wilco and whiskeytown stuff

• I use a mad professor deep blue delay for short slap, country rockabilly etc,
    its very musical and never gets in the way of your playing, it beat an El capistan
    for simplicity and ease of use.

• If you're not set on genuine all-analogue, the TC Flashback does great sounds - as dark and swirly as you like (or not), especially if you use the toneprint and/or editing function. I spent a bit of time copying the sounds off the big-box deluxe memory man I've got knocking about and you can get pretty close.

The Alter Ego version is the same but with more in the way of analogue/tape style presets. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The Milkman is meant to be pretty good at this!

Haha FFS, Just sold a carbon copy the other week. Couldn't get along with it though, think its the snob in me wanting something more boutiquey well more I think it's a bloody ugly pedal!

Artist wise, everything from Scotty Moore, Richard Hawley, WhiskeyTown, Wilco, Joey Landreth a never ending list really.
    rico said:
    The Milkman is meant to be pretty good at this!

That's been the one I keep looking at, had it in my basket a few times.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Depends a bit what you mean by 'country' but for that fast, chicken picken type stuff players seem to prefer something digital. Like Paisley and his DD3 that @Cookiemonster mentioned and Albert Lee has tended to use digital delays, he uses his own TonePrint on the tc Flashback now I believe. He used a rack mount digital delay of some sort when I saw him back during the Crimean war.  tc Flashback mini would be the cheapest, easiest way to access his TonePrint.
    The darker, analogue types maybe if you are heading for a  more rockabilly/ Americana roots type approach I would have thought. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 884
    edited July 2017
    @AlexO well JHS have the Ryan Adams pedal as well but seems more 80s. Still it seems to be close to the self titled album sound. Is that still Americana ? 

• Belcat analog delay. Not in the boutique department, £25. Had mine for about 8 years and still going strong. Does chicken pickin and slap back perfectly! P.s. Apparently not truly analog but what do you expect for 25 quid.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    I am a country fan/player 
    the Strymon Deco does great slapback in tape echo sun City style 
    some will swear by Way Huge Aquapus which is great
    BUT you will have a very hard job beating the Belcat Analogue Delay  DLY 503 for 2 reasons ;
    1)it sound fantastic 
    2) It costs £18 quid new from Gear 4 Music
    I can assure you it is outstanding - don't let price fool you .............at that price it's a no-brainer but look at the reviews !
  • I play a lot of rockabilly - Way Huge Aquapuss is great 
  • Aqua Puss is unbeatable for slapback IMHO