Is there anyone who knows video production here??

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Hey - are there any people here who know video production here? IE: How to take an idea and process it so you know exactly what to do in order to film it? I've got a few ideas, but I'm kinda stuck with the execution. Is there a good web portal for learning this stuff? Particularly interested in making short snippets to trigger during live shows. Just need a bit of a point in the right direction!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I know about production but not really in the area that you're talking about. But if you have access to any student filmmakers or student animators then they potentially have access to the equipment, materials and, most importantly, the time to collaborate on interesting ideas, as long as they can use that work as part of their portfolio. That mighgt not be a bad place to start looking for collaborators, maybe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6114
    Shooting People is the most complete portal for film and video making in UK. I've been out of the loop for a few years but I've made shorts, corporates, multimedia and broadcast in the past. You're welcome to pm me if you need some pointers etc.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    We've got equipment coming out the wazoo. But I'm a daydreaming amateur and our bassist is a cameraman. So we're lacking a little on the creative execution side. Like for example I've got this music video idea centred around a drowning. Fuck knows how you approach something like that though! 
    Yes, Shooting People is good. It was really popular for a while but I haven't used it for ages (a few years). Like Jez says, if there's anything you want to ask, just drop me a PM. Production is my day job but it's mainly animation but I've been doing it for about 20 years.
    Cool, I might pop you guys a message at some point.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader

The best thing to do is do test runs.... 

When I shoot film I think about how im going to edit it and what I need on camera to fulfil that vision....  If you are talking about special effects.. Don't know so much about that.

But as I say.. Do some test runs first.... Then get some footage, try and edit it together and then if you are missing stuff, you will know what you need for next time..  And if you have the time, do it as many times as necessary... I think its one of those things you really need practical experience with.. Its about the logistics of where and when you will film, what equipment you will need etc etc

Ah. That's complicated. You basically need a producer or aspiring producer on board. But doing anything around water gets complicated and also expensive. Everyone wants to check your insurance and public liability paperwork if you go in that direction. On the otherhand, with digital technology, you can just try stuff and if it's shit just delete it and try something else. You can do so much processing with the images you can cover up all kinds of crap footage and make it look interesting. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    We've got equipment coming out the wazoo. But I'm a daydreaming amateur and our bassist is a cameraman. So we're lacking a little on the creative execution side. Like for example I've got this music video idea centred around a drowning. Fuck knows how you approach something like that though! 

Well for instance.. If you wanted to do that you would probably need a waterproof camera (or it would certainly help)...  Then you could get permission to film in a pool or something or if on the cheap buy a blow up swimming pool :)
    The key thing is to be brutally honest with the results. We've all seen bands sticking up some shocking crap for music promos or digital back drops that just makes them look stupid but they've never stepped back to look at it and say - does this REALLY look any good? I think, just like being in a band, work out the sort of thing you really like and fits your genre and then be a lot like it but just a little different (it's hard to be completely original and maybe not that desireable). If you end up with something that just looks shit in comparision to the stuff you like, it's probably better trying again. It will quickly suck you down a creative rabbit hole just as much as making music - but great if you manage to make something you really are proud of.
    camf said:
    The key thing is to be brutally honest with the results. We've all seen bands sticking up some shocking crap for music promos or digital back drops that just makes them look stupid but they've never stepped back to look at it and say - does this REALLY look any good? I think, just like being in a band, work out the sort of thing you really like and fits your genre and then be a lot like it but just a little different (it's hard to be completely original and maybe not that desireable). If you end up with something that just looks shit in comparision to the stuff you like, it's probably better trying again. It will quickly suck you down a creative rabbit hole just as much as making music - but great if you manage to make something you really are proud of.
    I'm pretty decent with rejecting total crap, so not too worried about that! Just think it's time we did something visual; next level and all that.
    Do it! You'll know if it's good. It's just like recording. Things happen and surprise you - sometimes in a bad way and sometimes in a good way. It's just about keeping the spider senses twitching to spot the things that work and also be strict enough to reject the crap, no matter how well intentioned or how much effort's gone in. Plenty times I wish I'd done that more effectively myself. :)