Have I fallen foul of being a tight arse?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Am I right in thinking the Satriani JVM has some 800 DNA? Because I know he runs his BMT below half.

No more than any other modern Marshall does really.

Some people seem to like running the tone stack low, to me that makes the sound too middy and a bit congested - like Sassafras I prefer to start with it high and work back from there, it sounds more open and dynamic. The bass stays full up.

Notice he has his gains all full up, or very nearly! - including OD2. So much for 'more gain than anyone could ever need' :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    ICBM said:
    Notice he has his gains all full up, or very nearly! - including OD2. So much for 'more gain than anyone could ever need' :).

OD2 on the JS model is voiced the same as OD1 and has a lot less gain that the standard JVM. Interesting the crunch channel has more gain than the standard JVM and the clean channel green mode is based on a 30th Anniversary 6100. They really are very different beasts.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Presence = high treble, so you really want to set your treble knob first then adjust the presence knob to get a bit of sparkle  into he tone, too much and it get really nasty fast. so turn the treble presence to zero first, adjust the treble then adjust the presence (they work together, if you adjust the one it affects the other.

The bass could be full up on those amps, but if you had a bass control that actually worked properly then I would say to turn it down fully, then slowly turn it up until your sound is full enough for the room without being boomy, it will almost certainly need to be adjusted to suit the room at the practice studio.

Midrange is key on these amps, the midrange cuts the mix, if you keep it turned down you will need to turn up the master volume to hear yourself, so in practice rather than touching the master volume try increase the mids to see if that helps.

if you are going for a cleaner sound use the low input, it will let you turn up the master and it will probably sound better
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Thanks all - much appreciated. The EQ on this amp seems very powerful compared to say a JCM2000 but I will definitely try with bass on 11 and cutting the presence and boosting mids and treble accordingly.

When I start fussing about pedal and amp settings it takes away from the inspiration but i'm looking forward to trying your recommendations out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I'd tend to have the amp running hotter with more MV, Bass about 6, Mid Treble and Presence between 6-8 and the guitar volume down a bit to tame it. That has the effect of changing the brightness a little and so will the guitars tone knob. I would expect the gain has a sweet spot in relation to the guitar somewhere between 5-9.

Twiddle and experiment, find what you like and go with it.