Favourite vocal performance

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
The voice can be bloody amazing when someone can actually sing. This cover of 'I Know You Wont' by Kelly Clarkson blows me away every time. When she opens up her tone is amazing! 

Post ONE of your favourite vocal performances here.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26631
    Sorry, I'm going to cheat right off the bat and put two. After being called sexist recently, I want to make it clear that I'm all about equal-opportunities ;)

So, my top two vocal performances of all time...

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think Puddles Pity Party has one of the best voices ever:

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bernhoft.

Bern. Fucking. Hoft.

This guy is really amazing. One of the best voices I've ever heard.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Someone posted this a few years back. It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and gets me close to tears.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    to many to mention and to many great singers but I'm going to throw a name in to the hat that is often forgotten

Otis Redding - again various tracks to pick from but I'm going with Try a little tenderness - starts tender and then he rips it towards the end

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Guys, some really awesome stuff here, stuff I've never even heard of so thanks for the posts.

@Bucket - honestly, if I could sing like him, I'd probably never talk again. That is, I'd sing everything I had to say. What a seriously smooth performance. Great song, too. I'll be checking more of his stuff.

@scrumhalf - Not something I'd normally listen to but that was beautiful. It gave me the shivers too! 

@guitars4you - my favourite Otis Redding track. Legend.

@digitalscream - ffs man. Sexist? An ignorant and lawbreaking sexist more like  ;) But I'll let you off as they were really good tracks. Especially 'The Sound of Silence' by Disturbed.

Keep 'em coming  :)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I've always loved the richness of Eddie Vedder's voice, particularly live. I've seen Pearl Jam a fair few times and I was at this gig in 2014. I've got the bootleg audio but this is the best I can do using YT. 

Hope you enjoy this haunting performance as much as I did.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Aretha Franklin knocking 'em dead

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Where Did You Sleep Last Night from Nirvana unplugged. Possibly my favourite vocal performance of all time. Just raw and awesome. 
  • This is perfect - not just the melody, the tone and phrasing, but also the performance - he seems totally lost in it, seems like he could be speaking straight to you - 

Al Green - Tired of Being Alone - YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    beed84 said:
    @Bucket - honestly, if I could sing like him, I'd probably never talk again. That is, I'd sing everything I had to say. What a seriously smooth performance. Great song, too. I'll be checking more of his stuff.
    The studio version sounds quite different - he's more or less a soul/R&B artist, the track has a different groove and is more electronically based. Still really cool though. My favourite stuff of his is probably from his EP "Stop/Shut Up/Shout It Out". The whole thing is great and worth checking out, but this is one of the standout tracks:

The track has definite shades of Justin Timberlake et al, but his voice just lifts it for me. Nice guitar part too - he's a great player.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm also really into Mary Spender's voice at the moment. It's really interesting. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    edited July 2017

Joe Cocker

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Stevie Wonder

• Seeing as Eddie, Kurt and Chris have been mentioned I'll throw in Layne Stanley- to my mind the most underrated of that quartet. Jerry Cantrell on backing vocals is brilliant in his own right and the harmonies are beautiful. My favourite of the Unplugged series:

Another more recent one is this: Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes Beautiful Death.
    I've always liked Franks voice, but the way he goes from 1-100 in the space of a breath (at the 44second mark on this track) is phenomenal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wis for Layne Staley. One of my favourite singers ever.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    I was going to put Layne as he's my favourite vocalist of all time, but I was gonna include the vocal performances from the MTV Singles live shows. Astonishing show.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    Love or hate Muse, his range on this is superb 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Bucket said:
    Bernhoft.

Bern. Fucking. Hoft.

This guy is really amazing. One of the best voices I've ever heard.
    Yep. The one album SPAN released is the absolute fucking tits.