Living in Guildford. What's it like?

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
I've been there many times over the years, and not just to Andertons, and I like the place. It seems self-contained, has good shops, nice eateries, people seem nice and there's enough music and interesting stuff going on plus you've the Surrey Hills and countryside on your doorstep and the south coast and Hampshire aren't far away.

Friend's and family would still be 40 mins drive away.

There's a university or the ACM, which my be handy for my son in a couple of years time and the train journey to London, Waterloo takes about the same amount of time as it does for me now, but will obviously cost more, but I'm only in the office one day a week.

So...I believe there are a few people here who live in Guildford or very close, what more can you tell me about the place? Is it a decent, safe, interesting place to live and does anyone commute to London? What's the journey like?

Farnham's nice, too, but just a little too far out and more pricey.

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    It's fine, but if you own an ES330 that Weller fella won't stop pestering you.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Like Henley without the lovely river but with more crystal meth.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Gassage said:
    I thought he was up the road in Woking? Close enough, I suppose :)
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I haven't lived there but I went to ACM for 4 years so it became a big part of my life. 2 old bands I used to be in were based there so I regularly visited there a few times a week even when I stopped studying. The Boileroom is a great venue and I've played some great shows there. You've also got The Star and that G-live place though I never played there as it only opened recently.

Its a nice change from London as the people are a bit nicer, and its a student-y place, loads of young people. You've also got Andertons which I've bought 3 guitars from.

I still go back every now and again and I recognise people out and about in town, either through ACM or local venues. Its pretty cool people still remember me. 

I couldn't live there though as its way too expensive, like £450 a month or whatever, touching on £500 though London's no better off!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    I believe it also has @Sporky - whether or not you see that as a good thing., only you can say...

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    At least there is a good guitar shop there.  All my local ones have closed down.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Kebabkid said:
    Gassage said:
    I thought he was up the road in Woking? Close enough, I suppose :)
    Last time I was in Guildford I saw Eric Clapton.  @Sporky is your man for advice on the place. 
    Thanks guys.

@Sporky - What's it like Andi

@Octatonic - does it have a drug problem?

@Lestratcaster - I was in The Star last night as part of the Guildford Fringe Festival. Good venue.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28350
    Lady BMcH and I have been living in Guildford for about twelve years now. I usually describe it as a lovely place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit, but that's a bit harsh.

The town centre has basically everything you're likely to need (apart from a John Lewis, which is a genuine sore point for some). Crime is below average, there's plenty of woods and countryside nearby, and you can get to the M25 in fifteen minutes on a good day. There are good routes to the M3 and M4 too, and we're about halfway between Heathrow and Gatwick.

Train is about thirty five minutes to London, but if you're going to commute every day then Woking (where I grew up) is only twenty five and has twice as frequent trains. Guildford is a nicer town but most of Woking is fine.

It's chuffing expensive though. Next door (three bed link detached, decent sized but not huge garden, need a bit of work) sold late last year for just over four hundred grand, and we're in the second cheapest bit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

@Lestratcaster - I was in The Star last night as part of the Guildford Fringe Festival. Good venue.
    Nah, no more than anywhere else.
    I was actually out in Abingdon today after just being in Henley and that is what I thought about Abingdon- I was just looking for an opportunity to make a joke.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Kebabkid said:
    I've been there many times over the years, and not just to Andertons,

and I like the place. It seems self-contained, has good shops, nice eateries, people seem nice and there's enough music and interesting stuff going on plus you've the Surrey Hills and countryside on your doorstep and the south coast and Hampshire aren't far away.

There's a university or the ACM, which my be handy for my son in a couple of years time and the train journey to London, Waterloo takes about the same amount of time as it does for me now, but will obviously cost more, but I'm only in the office one day a week.

So...I believe there are a few people here who live in Guildford or very close, what more can you tell me about the place? Is it a decent, safe, interesting place to live and does anyone commute to London? What's the journey like?

Many thanks
    Kebabkid said:

You mean you work there Lee
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Been to Guildford a fair few times doing work with students.

Modern town a few chavs, must types and some yummy mummy's crack on! 

Bit far far out good road links trains poor. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

Its better than it was like 9 or so years ago, they had an upgrade on the sound system and actually started mic'ing up stuff. Before it'd only be vocals and a couple of drum parts through the PA!
    Kebabkid said:

and I like the place. It seems self-contained, has good shops, nice eateries, people seem nice and there's enough music and interesting stuff going on plus you've the Surrey Hills and countryside on your doorstep and the south coast and Hampshire aren't far away.

Many thanks
    Kebabkid said:

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetings and rumbled! :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:

Many thanks
    Kebabkid said:

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetings and rumbled! :)
    If you're Lee Anderton that was a very good disguise when we had that meet up.
    edited July 2017
    Thanks @Sporky.

£400K for a detached 3 bedroom sounds decent by today's prices. Where I am in Surrey, the average 3 bedroom place is close to £500K and you look at them and think really? If you could see my mate's place up in Derbyshire, 4 bedroom, beautifully done out with proper brick outhouses (always looking for the opportunity of a music room/sound proofed studio), good size rooms with good links and that was up for £320K!

Are there any no-go areas or dodgy districts?

I did see a lovely road up near the old quarry area/South Hill near The March Hare pub/White Brasserie and the houses were beautiful. We're talking millions.

In all the years I've visited Guildford, it's always had a good feel and there's quite a few people at my work who were ex-ACM and so I'll ask them the next time I'm in.

Is The Silent Pool open again up near Shere? I visited that place, Shere, Cranleigh and Guildford as 7 yr old child on a school trip. When taken to Guildford Cathedral and asked by a teacher why they the lecterns were in the form of an eagle, I answered "Because they're birds of pre(a)y.

Bury St Edmunds is also on my list and sadly, I can't afford Cambridge.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28350
    Kebabkid said: 

Are there any no-go areas or dodgy districts?
    Not really. £400k means Park Barn or Bellfields. I live in the latter. It's nicer overall than Park Barn, but there are better roads and worse roads. All 50s ex-council. Decent sized rooms and well built.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Crackheads and spice smokers are everywhere 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    At least there is a good guitar shop there.  All my local ones have closed down.
    probably partly due tot he guitar shop that is there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's all Chappers fault 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom