Ability over practise

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @douglashdg you have every reason to be proud mate and I wish you and darren all the best for the future
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10696
    mike_l said:
    viz said:
    Not me I'm afraid - I've practised many many many more hours than my ability would suggest!

Having heard you play I'm sure you practice at least 25 hrs a day

Very kind, and if we could award a "cheers mate I owe you one", you'd have one. A lol will have to do. But it's true, I've been playing and "practising" for many many hours and years but not properly, like octa says, so I'm fundamentally limited in what I'll ever be able to do. I'm reasonably effective when I have something I've got to learn, like for a gig or whatever, but the vast majority of my playing is just picking the guitar up and doodling becuase I like the sound. That's ok but doesn't move me forwards. Like's been said, I "learned" from 18 to 26; since then I've stuck. But I also think music is an art not a craft, so being able to play is important, but only as important as having something to say! Trying to play music instead of widdles is where it's at.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    viz said:
    Trying to play music instead of widdles is where it's at.
    Can we not have both?
  • vizviz Frets: 10696
    I can't, you can, I've heard u. Me it's either widdle. Or music. Not both.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @Viz, you're way too humble. I was almost embarrassed to share a stage with you the other week.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)