Planking

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
If I do planking and really put my mind to it I can get a very unpleasant 3 minutes for my trouble on a good day. My abs generally seem to take it fine, but after about a minute it is killing my arms, and specifically it seems to make my bones ache horribly. Anyone else get this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3661
    Is planking a sex move thing?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited July 2017
    When I go to the gym I always give it a go - blimey it is a lot tougher than I first expected. For me its the other way around, my core kills (but then I'm a bit on the chubby side!)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    What's planking?
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    proggy said:
    What's planking?

• Yes - its common to experience arm ache or pain in the bones when doing this exercise. Its easily resolvable. I find if you get up and walk away, then don't ever repeat the position the pain dissipates and doesn't return. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13976
    proggy said:
    What's planking?
    posh wanking

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • World record is 5hrs or something. I can do 4mins on a good day.

I hate it, but it's good for me. Just like broccoli. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:
    What's planking?
    posh wanking
    I did wonder.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    I love Broccoli. But I'm fat and unfit so 3x 1 min planking is what I'm doing currently.

Currently doing them arms outstretched like the top position of a push-up, should mix it up with elbows too but only recently added these.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17718
    tFB Trader
    I do it.

Apparently much better for your core than situps.

I can do 2 minutes of low plank, but it hurts like hell.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3661
    I don't see how lying on the floor is in any way good for you, and to say it hurts? pussys. Cock push ups, now thers a thing.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:
    I don't see how lying on the floor is in any way good for you, and to say it hurts? pussys. Cock push ups, now thers a thing.
    When you can plank for 5 minutes you get to have an opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6914
    terada said:
    proggy said:
    What's planking?

If this is the right technique pictured - I just tried it and after a minute it was very uncomfortable so I stopped (more like collapsed!).

I'm in my work clothes still though so not really prepared. 

My elbow smarted a bit afterwards...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    I do it.
    I'm increasingly dubious about this "core" business.
    And I bought into the idea big time a couple of decades ago based on some interesting and promising studies.
    But clinically I found, and colleagues found it didn't seem to work quite like it was supposed to so doubts started.
    Got to follow the evidence though and it's looking more like the core is a theoretical construct -- a bit like the aether -- rather than an anatomical and functional thing. 
    So... I watch this space.
    Plank if you want to plank.
    But I'm not sure it has much benefit (well, not in the area of low back pain at any rate.  Maybe it helps you look good).
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    I imagine if i tried doing this, my stomach would probably still be on the ground.

Is that an advantage?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    robgilmo said:
    One is all you need!
    tFB Trader
    Grunfeld said:
    I do it.
    I'm increasingly dubious about this "core" business.
    And I bought into the idea big time a couple of decades ago based on some interesting and promising studies.
    But clinically I found, and colleagues found it didn't seem to work quite like it was supposed to so doubts started.
    Got to follow the evidence though and it's looking more like the core is a theoretical construct -- a bit like the aether -- rather than an anatomical and functional thing. 
    So... I watch this space.
    Plank if you want to plank.
    But I'm not sure it has much benefit (well, not in the area of low back pain at any rate.  Maybe it helps you look good).

Core is just all the muscles that aren't your arms, legs and head. 

It's really important for just about every sporting activity. I don't get back pain so I don't really care about it for that though improving my core strength has massively improved my posture.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23326
    Is it OK to do planks in a pressup position, arms extended, rather than propped up on your elbows?  I find the "proper" position very uncomfortable on my elbows and shoulders, it feels like it's doing more harm than good. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    edited July 2017

It's really important for just about every sporting activity. I don't get back pain so I don't really care about it for that though improving my core strength has massively improved my posture.
    Core may have broadened it's meaning.  It's an idea which is sort of "out there" now, it's in the water as a Good Thing.
    The original studies, (done on professional Aussie cricketers iirc), and the ones which followed them, looked at the role of specific muscles around the spine with the notion that they were "stabilisers" of the spine.  Muscles like multifidus and transverse abdominis which don't appear to "do" anything -- unlike, say, your rectus abdominis which you use in e.g a sit up.  But, if the idea is now "all the muscles that aren't your arms and legs" then the notion of core has broadened considerably.
    tFB Trader
    Grunfeld said:

Core may have broadened it's meaning.  It's an idea which is sort of "out there" now, it's in the water as a Good Thing.
    The original studies, (done on professional Aussie cricketers iirc), and the ones which followed them, looked at the role of specific muscles around the spine with the notion that they were "stabilisers" of the spine.  Muscles like multifidus and transverse abdominis which don't appear to "do" anything -- unlike, say, your rectus abdominis which you use in e.g a sit up.  But, if the idea is now "all the muscles that aren't your arms and legs" then the notion of core has broadened considerably.

It's what Wikipedia says so it must be right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_(anatomy)

Core strength is just torso strength as I understand it.