Planking

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited July 2017
    monquixote said:
    It's what Wikipedia says so it must be right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_(anatomy)
    Core strength is just torso strength as I understand it.
    Yep, I think we're talking about different things.  I'm not thinking of just torso strength.
    This paper is behind a pay wall but the Abstract gives the essence of the controversy surrounding the idea of core stability and the idea of dynamic stabilisation of the lumbar spine.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003999307016504

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    I got into doing the plank a few years back, every morning. Was doing about 2-3mins a time by the end, from what I recall. Seemed to strengthen stomach muscles a bit after a while.. Keep thinking I should start again but only manage to do it once or twice, then forget for a few days, or more.. 

When i was doing them, my first daughter (who hadn't been speaking that long) got into doing it with me.. She must have been about 2.. One morning, I remember her jumping about excitedly,  when she realised I was about to do the plank, and shouting, "Me help Daddy wank, me help Daddy wank.."  :o and I just thought, "I REALLY hope the child minder  doesn't ask her what she did this morning!!" 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    Had another go. Elbow planked for two minutes - full planked for 1 minute.

Is it usual to shake like a shitting dog when you perform this exercise?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Had another go. Elbow planked for two minutes - full planked for 1 minute.

Is it usual to shake like a shitting dog when you perform this exercise?
    Yes.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Make sure any planking done now is Fire-safe!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Planking is good. Working your core is good, though if you want a trim wais, it won't do much good. The misonception is that working your abs will give you a six pack: it won't. To get the flat stomach, or even anything resembling it, you need to burn off fat. And that comes from graft and diet.

Situps are by and large a waste of time, and most people do them wrong, and bugger their back up. One of the most effective situps is simply to lie flat, with your arms crossed on your chest, legs flat out, and slowly sit up, as if someone is pulling a rope attached to your gut, keepin your legs flat and stretched out. HArder than it sounds, nice and slow.

Another v good one - get a barbell, put any weight on each side and lie it on the ground in front of you, like an axle with a wheel either side.Get on your knees in front of it, hold with each arm, shoulder width apart, and roll forward, so you are stretched out, rocked forward on your knees, arms straight out hodling the bar., belly clsoe to the ground. Then pull the bar back to your knees, using your abs. Horrible at first, but soon gets better. Works tons of your core muscles, all over, good fat burning.

Side planks are good too, work the side of your abs nicely.

Crunches, situps though, waste of effort. Unless you get the fat off, you wont notice any difference in appearance really.