Cheap Tremolo

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I'd go for the Trelicopter, purely on the basis of the Joey Landreth having one and the sounds he gets at about 51 minutes in. Can't be held responsible if you sound nothing like this, I didn't FFS!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 202
    edited July 2017
    I wonder if the Donner is not the same as other Trelicopter variants, or if I've got a duff one?  Checking it out again, I think I will return it, as in addition to the noise there's a noticeable volume boost which I think I'd find annoying.  I think I'll either look out for a Boss or build something (though I was going to avoid starting another project). 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    You will have the same noise issues with a trelicopter
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 147
    The Mooer Trelicopter is based on the Demeter trem circuit, one of the best boutique trems ever made. Personally I'd go with that or the Boss unless you're really after less conventional trem sounds (harmonic trem or choppy Square wave etc).

More expensive trems usually have a pre-amp too to give optional volume boost/cut, which is either a plus or a negative (as can colour your tone in a way you either like or dislike).
    edited July 2017
    I'm attempting to return the Donner, and this is one demanding seller.  It took a couple of messages to get a response at all, and now they seem to expect me to take a video of the issue, upload it to YouTube and email them a link!  It's nice to feel trusted...
    I've only got a cheap phone to video it with and there keeps being background noise in the flat that makes it nigh-on impossible to capture with a phone mic.  I have never used YouTube to upload before and I don't see why I should start now.  I think they're hoping to make the process hassly enough that I give up on returning it.  I guess I'll have to wait until we reach an impasse and it gets to the time threshold for eBay to step in...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Let me guess Guitar Guitar?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    My Trelicopter makes a noise if it hasn't got a buffer in front of it.

So I stick a buffer in front of it.

My fave trem ever.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited July 2017
    I'm afraid I've caved in and had a "sod it, it'll do" moment with the Donner.  As pointed out, the noise disappears when using a buffered pedal in front of it, but even more curiously, it also disappears when running a buffered pedal after the Donner.  In fact, the noise only occurs when the Donner is the only thing in between my guitar and a valve amp - it doesn't do it with a solid-state amp either.  I have no idea why, perhaps something to do with SS devices having blocking caps on the input while valve amps usually don't.   In my setup it'll be after my true-bypass dirt pedals and wah and before my buffered delay, where it works OK. 
    The volume jump that's noticeable at home just isn't an issue in a band setting either.  So it seems like I can make it do what I need. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    The Joyo got favourable reviews in Guitarist (I think) a while back...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the tiny hotone trem and it's pretty great for such a small pedal
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Boss TR-2 or Danelectro Cool Cat Trem - I've had both and they're both very good for little money.
  • I have both of these atm. If anyone wants to bung me a few quid I'd be happy to pop them in the post. They both sound nice to me but I'm not much of a tremolo user :)