Fender Jaguar MIJ Value?

What's Hot
ash96ash96 Frets: 61
Looking to sell this to make way for new acquisitions, before I get put a classifieds listing up, I thought I'd gauge rough price as ebay completed listings only really show 'new' ones.

This has upgraded pickups (Seymour Duncan JB jr and Cool rails I believe), the bridge is a mustang bridge I believe, and the tremelo is set down so its more stable/solid tuning wise.

This is what the Fender Dating Website says about it from the Serial number - 
Your guitar was made at the 
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in 1996 - 1997
Production Number: 30579

Here's a bunch of pictures of it too.

IMG_6681 IMG_6680 IMG_6679 IMG_6678 IMG_6677 IMG_6676 IMG_6674 IMG_6673 IMG_6672 IMG_6671
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14617
    Those are, indeed, Mustang type bridge saddles. (A common modification.)

I am intrigued by your vibrato tailpiece stabilising method. It must leave the arm protruding at an awkward angle. 

HarrySeven is probably the best person to speak to. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Japanese Fender? About 2 grand if you go by eBay prices.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61

I am intrigued by your vibrato tailpiece stabilising method. It must leave the arm protruding at an awkward angle. 
    Wasn't actually my doing, was like it when I got it in a trade from someone so can't actually elaborate more than that really. I can take a few more pictures if that helps. 

I never had the trem arm with it so never noticed anything weird about it.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Jack_ said:
    Japanese Fender? About 2 grand if you go by eBay prices.

Indeed. Ridiculous overpricing. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3357
    With a case, £450-500? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 661
    With a case, £450-500? 
    I'd agree with that. I've had several MIJ/CIJ Fenders over the years including a Jaguar, decent guitars but wouldn't pay more than £450- 500 tops for one. Once scored a Jazzmaster for £145 :)
    I'd take the pickups out, sell them separately, and put some more traditional/factory correct pickups in, I think it'll help the sale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    edited July 2017
    Jack_ said:
    I'd take the pickups out, sell them separately, and put some more traditional/factory correct pickups in, I think it'll help the sale.
    I'd agree there. They don't enhance the value.

I think £400-500 is about right but there are a lot around, and without being nasty... its a common colour combo. The 'custom colour' stuff (Ocean Turquoise, Sea Foam, Shoreline Gold) etc tends to be easier to sell for top dollar, so don't be surprised if someone low balls you.

The MIJ market is a bit of a mess right now - the Mexican guitars (the newer models) are knocking it out of the park right now and are taking over the market from the Japanese Fenders. As a result MIJ demand has stalled a little and whilst some are still trying to get the stratospheric prices of a few years ago, few are getting it. Even JVs don't seem to be hitting quite such high sums as they did - but to be honest, some of those prices were utterly ridiculous.

Good luck.

EDIT: I've just seen the state of the paint on the Jag... I'll revise that down a tad. Whilst its getting on a bit, there are similar guitars in better nick so I think £400 may be a little optimistic...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited July 2017
    Jack_ said:
    put some more traditional/factory correct pickups in, I think it'll help the sale.
    The Fender (Japan) single coil Jaguar pickups are notoriously weedy. Fender American Vintage Re-Issue pickups are a bit better. Duncan are better again. Duncan Antiquities are probably too pricey to justify on a MIJ/CIJ.
    Jack_ said:
    put some more traditional/factory correct pickups in, I think it'll help the sale.
    The Fender (Japan) single coil Jaguar pickups are notoriously weedy. Fender American Vintage Re-Issue pickups are a bit better. Duncan are better again. Duncan Antiquities are probably too pricey to justify on a MIJ/CIJ.
    It doesn't matter too much how good they are, as long as they take it back to a more traditional look. That's if he wants to maximise his returns. I'd be on eBay looking for something used and budget, like IronGear or Tonerider or Fender Mexican or something.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3845
    Agree with whoever said try to return to stock. I tried to sell something with non original pickups and all I got were enquiries if I still had the original pickups. 
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    If you're willing to wait you could get between £500 and £600 but you'd need to change the pups to something more traditionally Fender Jaguar.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    edited July 2017
    While we are on the subject of electronic originality, is all of the control circuitry original?

It is not that originality enhances monetary value. More that it makes schematic wiring diagrams easier for the purchaser to follow when upgrading to American pickups.
    impmann said:

I think £400-500 is about right but there are a lot around, and without being nasty... its a common colour combo. The 'custom colour' stuff (Ocean Turquoise, Sea Foam, Shoreline Gold) etc tends to be easier to sell for top dollar...

EDIT: I've just seen the state of the paint on the Jag... I'll revise that down a tad. Whilst its getting on a bit, there are similar guitars in better nick so I think £400 may be a little optimistic...

@impmann - fully take this on board, but personally, I'm quite fond of this colour and I've got a few Jags with SD Hot/Cool Rails and JB's in.

Shit...I'm talking myself into buying it. :D

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

ash96 said:
    vibrato tailpiece stabilising method
    Wasn't my doing ... was like it when I got it in a trade from someone ... I never had the trem arm with it so never noticed anything weird about it.
    Reading between the lines, this tells me that:
    1) you do not have the original pickups, bridge saddles and vibrato arm
    2) you are not a guitar modifying fiend
    3) you could not restore this particular guitar to stock even if you wanted to
    4) this guitar must be sold "as is".

@impmann is correct to state that off-white with torty pickguard is run of the mill. It would need the gold hardware of the mid-Nineties re-issue production run to attract more money.

To be honest, when I first saw the OP guitar photographs, I assumed that it was an escapee from the @HarrySeven collection.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    To be honest, when I first saw the OP guitar photographs, I assumed that it was an escapee from the @HarrySeven collection.
    Very few Jags and Jazzmasters are! :)

Would that be the fabled Offset Event Horizon? A gravitational attraction field from which no Fender guitar "with synchronised floating tremolo" ever reappears. 
    Would that be the fabled Offset Event Horizon? A gravitational attraction field from which no Fender guitar "with synchronised floating tremolo" ever reappears. 

Indeed. Once a Fender Offset* falls within its gravitational pull, it cannot escape.

*Jagstangs excluded on aesthetic grounds.

IMHO, the secret with Jag-Stangs is
    1) get Courtney Love to give you one
    2) to wear it upside down. 

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3058
    @ash96 I'm vaguely in the market for a White Jag, at the right price. I'd be looking to put more original pickups in and sort out the trem. PM me if you like?