Fender pickups on offer at Thomann

What's Hot
CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
edited July 2017 in Guitar
I was just browsing Thomann's website and noticed that they had several of the Fender solderless pickups sets on offer. If you can put up with plastic hook-up wires and are prepared to snip off the little connectors these look like a good buy. The sets on offer were:

Fender American Select Solderless set ~£70
Fender Texas Special Solderless set ~£90
Fender CS Fat 50's Solderless set ~£90

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    CS Fat 50's for £90 is a great deal!

Thanks for that.

HERE is the relevant page set prices Low-High with all 31 of the Fender Pickup products on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    The Selects are really underrated too because the whole line was a bit of a bust - but they were excellent pickups that you couldn't get anywhere else at the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a mij Hank Marvin stray that I love but the pickups are the weak point. I'm very hesitant to change anything on it because it's absolutely mint but I also love a bargain. Im conflicted. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    I wouldn't use Texas Specials if you paid me, but I am tempted by the fat 50s.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    crunchman said:
    I wouldn't use Texas Specials if you paid me, but I am tempted by the fat 50s.
    Amen.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    The Fat 50's would certainly be my choice if I had the cash. Nevermind, hopefully someone else can benefit!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703
    Whitecat said:
    The Selects are really underrated too because the whole line was a bit of a bust - but they were excellent pickups that you couldn't get anywhere else at the time.

What do you know about the pickups.  They look a bit hotter, a bit more modern from the specs.
    Whitecat said:

What do you know about the pickups.  They look a bit hotter, a bit more modern from the specs.
    They are a little. The neck pickup has more definition/detail to me than the usual vintage suspects. The bridge pickup is a little fatter-sounding too. 
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:

They are a little. The neck pickup has more definition/detail to me than the usual vintage suspects. The bridge pickup is a little fatter-sounding too. 

Thanks, ordered a set.
    Good call!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    I've got Fat 50s in my AVRI - fantastic pickups
    Red ones are better. 
  • @CasperCaster. Thanks for the heads-up... was able to let a mate know - as he was planning on getting some Fat 50s at some point in the near future. Now ordered. CHeers.

Does anybody know if the connectors are available for these, from Maplin for example?

I'm thinking best to try them before cutting the wires.  If the selects don't hit the spot I may wish to send them back and exchange for the fat 50's.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    I can't buy them from Fender at those prices - great deal - I've just purchased a few sets as I dare say I can find a use for them one day on a decent USA non Custom Shop Strat - thanks  Jason
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Does anybody know if the connectors are available for these, from Maplin for example?

I'm thinking best to try them before cutting the wires.  If the selects don't hit the spot I may wish to send them back and exchange for the fat 50's.

Post a photo of the connectors?
    I was just in maplins about 20 minutes ago.
    I'm sure you can get them somewhere if not there then online somewhere. 

Good idea !
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    @menamestom I've had a good look at the pictures on Thomann's web site but they just aren't clear enough - as @Alnico said please post a picture when you can and also measure the pitch (centre to centre between pins). 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3216
    Love those fat 50s, if i was a strat player I'd be snapping them up...now on a Nashville tele...hmmm. :)