Your favourite painting?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    ESBlonde said:
    The Forth Bridge. It's a job for life.

Except it isn't. They finished in 2011 & it isn't due to be repainted till 2031. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-16137688/never-ending-forth-bridge-painting-finishes
    Anybody got that number for those folk that re-float funnyships?
    ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062

Went to see Pollock at the Royal Academy last year. Never been a great admirer of his work but seeing them in the flesh they are surprisingly beautiful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Bearing Up - Dale Bowen

first weekend i ever had away with my other half was in the Lake District and this was in the window on an art shop , and everytime we walked past we had to stop and she loved it, so i bought her it secretly and gave her it for Christmas that year. Its more what the painting means to me than the actual painting itself, although i do like it, its bright and colourful and fun. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Polish chap called Bedzinski (sp) - some of his stuff is out of this world.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I went with my wife to the National Portrait Gallery about 10years ago and they had 'Le Chapeau de Paille' by Rubens on the wall. As my wife stood next to it I noticed that it has an uncanny likeness to her! (although my wife's nose is much nicer).
    Even weirder was opposite this painting "of my wife" was one that looked uncannily like her dad!

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    On the subject of art, Tracey Emin's 'Unmade Bed' is coming to the local Turner Gallery. Mrs C is threatening to tidy it up and change the sheets.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    The Pre Raphaelites are my favourite.

The beautiful brushwork and dreamy ethereal subjects get me every time.

A snip of Ophelia by Millais..
    Image result for ophelia painting

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited July 2017
    it has to be this evocative illustration due to the incredible feeling of security and comfort it afforded when I was first exposed to the wonders of TLTWAT Wardrobe as youngster in the 60s.

The amazing thing is that when I renovated my existing cottage in 2000/2001 I sublimely have seemed to incorporated about 90% of the features in this illustration one way or another!  - AND  - whats more, I find out latterly that the woman who drew all the Narnia tales illustrations - Pauline Baines - lived all her life (until recent death) just a few yds away in same village. 

I do not have any Beavers but I have a family of Badgers visit me each night at the back door - usually same time as we eat our dinner! So, turns out - I LIVE IN NARNIA!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7e/c3/ca/7ec3ca03e90f1a7031292f42f7496b58.jpg

Handmade Arched door - tick
    Restored Georgian Bar cottage windows - tick
    Black Range Cooker - tick
    Round dining table  same proportions - tick
    3 legged stools in kitchen - tick
    Shelf over Cooker - tick
    Shelf over door - tick
    Old Barrel  feature - tick
    Creamware jug - tick
    2x Recess T&G doors adjacent to stove - tick
    Rocking Chair - tick
    Small footstall - tick
    Waxed Barbour hat hanging by door - tick
    Wrought iron sewing table legs (reapplied as brackets) - tick
    Same candlestick and hurricane lamp in kitchen - tick
    Checkered tablecloth - tick

and although not shown here - tobacco pipe as per Mr Beaver - tick

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    image.jpeg 201.8K
    image.jpeg 362.3K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Don't have a single favourite but here are some of my top 10

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited July 2017
    Eek. Difficult one. One painting which means a lot to my extended family, and therefore me, is Guernica by Picasso:

My extended family are/were most definitely not fascists.
    I'm completely ignorant where art is concerned but have a blank wall at home that would benefit from a large print.

The room colours are white and greys -so something like that would look good.

We we have this above the piano - it's. not by a named artist but I like it and it's good fun for the kids.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited July 2017
    It's impossible to choose just one painting but the ones below have always been there or thereabouts.

Robert Motherwell from his large series titled 'Elegy to the Spanish Republic'. There are over 200 works from this series.

I'm surprised nobody has posted anything by Turner yet. This amongst others was a game changer when it was painted. 'Snow Storm - Steam Boat off a Harbour's Mouth'. 

This is by Peter Lanyon from his series based on observations from flying a glider. A pursuit that ultimately led to his death in the 1960s. ' 'Bojewyan Farm'.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Meant to post this before I went on holiday…

Vincent van Gogh - Green Field

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Green_Field_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Why it means so much - this will sound a bit pretentious I know :) - I've seen this up really close, within easy touching distance if I'd wanted to - it's in the National Gallery in Prague, and when I went it was just after the fall of Communism so the gallery was deserted apart from a guard dozing on a chair in the corner. Standing exactly where Vincent was when he painted it and being able to see the brush strokes and the patches of bare canvas between them (it's not quite 'finished'), I had the startling experience of feeling that I was actually in that field in France in 1889 - the whole thing seemed to almost shimmer and come alive. I've never had that experience with any painting or picture before or since. Quite surreal and magical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited July 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've always loved Canaletto.  His architectural detail is peerless...  Technically amazing.  I think he'd have been a photographer if the technology had been around.

bet you never realised Canelloni painted humble old Walton bridge too!  - as seen on BBCs Not Going Out's  latest outing... 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f5/c1/e1/f5c1e1c8b602c9104a4dea604546b078.jpg

https://www.artfund.org/assets/what-to-see/exhibitions/2015/10/canaletto/canalettoaviewofwaltonbridge.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>