Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, killed by trophy hunters in Zimbabwe

What's Hot
jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40671590

I really do hate people sometimes, especially those that kill a defenceless animal for sport - 20,000 lions left in Africa, 90% less than this time a century ago.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Disgusts me that somebody could do this in the name of Sport
      Disgusts me even more that they profit and seek to credibly legitimise slaughter by calling it Conservation.
    Bollocks - just Dracula in charge of the Blood Bank hypocrisy . Wankers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    See I dont agree, unless you are a veggie you really shouldnt have an issue with this.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    robgilmo said:
    See I dont agree, unless you are a veggie you really shouldnt have an issue with this.
    Eating animals that aren't endangered, which are bred to be eaten isn't the same as getting angry about killing endangered (or near to) species for lolz.

If they killed the lion for food you might have a point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Bidley said:
    robgilmo said:
    Eating animals that aren't endangered, which are bred to be eaten isn't the same as getting angry about killing endangered (or near to) species for lolz.

If they killed the lion for food you might have a point.
    But you could argue that at least Xanda had a real life in the wild, and wasn't bred specifically for slaughter for people to buy pre packaged, at the expense of the environment.

Not that I agree with the point, it's a senseless and stupid killing.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Couldn't give a fuck to be honest. 
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Get off your high horses people. Before you criticise the process seek out and listen all the way through to a documentary that was broadcast on R4 about a year ago. It succinctly put both sides of the ecological arguments and there is clearly a lot more to it than the anti culling protagonists would have you believe. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    hywelg said:
    seek out and listen all the way through to a documentary that was broadcast on R4 about a year ago.
    Well that narrows it down.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    What's really sickening is that just last week Xanda was posting on toothandclawtalk.com about how sick it was that a lion called Rex had killed an impala just for sport. Xanda was a peace-loving soul with nothing in his heart but love and he has been taken from us.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    To be honest I just thought they were milking the outrage from last time with all that son of Cecil stuff.

What next? Righteous indignation and shaking of fists when the daughter of the lioness that Cecil's son shagged once gets shot?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's another interesting podcast on the subject. 

http://www.radiolab.org/story/rhino-hunter/

As someone who worked in conservation biology & spent time in  Africa I can see both sides of the argument. That bounty money can pay for a LOT of rangers to prevent poaching/illegal hunting, but it needs proper regulation... Something that can be sadly lacking in these parts of the world. 
    That said, I disagree with hunting for sport (pretty much on principle). 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    It's pathetic when wild animals are given names. And as for lions being defenceless, try telling that to the Christians and see how far you get,

I think they are only given names for the purpose of the tracking collar ID.
    I saw the documentary but I'm not convinced that there was a substantial argument in the "conservation" element.
    It cannot be argued that the animals in general were not a lot more populous before human intervention and that left to do it's own thing that Darwinian Survival and natural Selection had been doing the job perfectly well for thousands of years.
    I think the Culling and Conservation issue is a mitigation of convenience for the justification of a lucrative tourist industry.
      Trophy hunting of Big Game should have died out with Pith Helmets and Edwardian Explorers.
    I support JUMANGI
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    So the guy shot the lion for fun .......but that's ok because he's paid over money which will be used to help protect other lions from...people who shoot lions for fun?
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Trophy hunters are the biggest arseholes on the planet, there's no excuse for it. If they feel the need to fire guns then go to a shooting range or a clay pigeon venue  ......cunts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I have a problem with this on many levels, but essentially the principle is the same as why I disagree with all hunting - as a species, why do we think its OK to kill things for enjoyment?

Whether its a bird or a lion, it shouldn't be acceptable. Its disgusting and retarded IMO.

Just because you are able to kill things, doesn't make it right. I don't have a problem with killing for food, but I do when it's for fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    OK @snap and @Dominic, so you ban all bounty hunting. Now you have two problems.

The locals who need to protect themselves and their livestock will kill predatory big cats themselves in an uncontrollable (on a national scale) way. Much of the demand for culling comes from locals.

The loss of income will reduce the money to pay for game wardens to oversee the conservation of the species. 

On the upside we in our insulated western idyll all feel much better about it all. 

As ever there's more to a story than initially meets the eye, and in this case, as in the case of Cecil, the people promoting the story have an agenda. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Trophy hunting or sport hunting whatever you want to call it is disgusting and I'm at a loss as to what these people get out of it! I don't have a problem if they need to hunt for food.

I saw an article the other week about a circus owner who's elephant keeper was killed by their elephant after years of it being treated cruely. this happened in the States around 1910. The circus company wanted revenge and brought in a crane & hanged the elephant using a chain, the picture of it hanging still disturbed me to this day. What utter disgusting morons.
    They did better than that ............Public executions of Elephants by electrocution in the 1920s
    - drew the biggest crowds of any American event ever !