People asking new prices for used guitars (ebay content)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    Has anyone blamed Brexit yet?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Has anyone blamed Brexit yet?
    If Brexit is pushing up new prices then used prices must follow - eventually. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Still some insane bargains around though, just got to keep looking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    It's absolutely disgusting we are forced to look at and buy these overpriced guitars instead of just not doing that. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    It's absolutely disgusting we are forced to look at and buy these overpriced guitars instead of just not doing that. 
    So so true but way way over the heads....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Without wishing to come across like I 'was evicted from our hole in the ground' when I was a lad, you don't know how lucky you are nowadays. I was lucky to be able to afford a Hondo II with Dimarzios that had an action so high, it removed a finger each time I picked it up. 
    Seriously, the range of gear and the quality of even modestly priced guitars today is fantastic.
    Used prices are mindbogglingly cheap

Lucky lucky bastards! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I agree, it's disgraceful that people try to get more money than the expected norm for guitars on a well known auction site that most people think is full of thieves and shysters and is generally accepted as a bad place to buy or sell guitars.

And how dare someone low ball an offer in the vague chance someone might say yes, and for which a clear and concise no thanks is all that's required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1725
    MtB said:
    I agree with most of this, however the true market rate can also be (up)set by desperate sellers. Someone buys a guitar and soon after suffers from buyers remorse / angry wife syndrome / change of financial circumstances. Desperate for the cash, the seller accepts an offer £300 less than the market rate. Anyone now checking the sold prices sees a new "going rate".

This happened to me recently with my Super Reverb. A guy had sold an immaculate one on ebay for £700 about a month before I advertised mine at £900. I then had several punters quoting and offering me £700 as the "going rate" for this amp.    
    Maybe the 700 was a more realistic price at the time.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited November 2018
    £1300 for a completely handmade Yamaha!?! Disgraceful!!

£2000 for a factory churned Gibson!?! Bargain - Must of been £4000 new.

£800 for a custom built G&L...Ah...But all my heroes had Fender on the headstock 60 years ago - Same guys must be building those right? It's not just a decal.

If you don't like the Quality stuff, scroll on by and keep dickin' about with Fender & Co - You're a Salesman's dream.

Every time I see a thread like this I get my willy out and start tuggin' - Can't get me fly down fast enough
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Jack_ said:
    Back in my day this were all green fields.
    And you could leave your door unlocked ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Jack_ said:
    When I were a lad, we didn't have no doors .....

.... didn't discover them until i was 17/18 or so .....
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    fandango said:
    Jack_ said:
    When I were a lad, we didn't have no doors .....

.... didn't discover them until i was 17/18 or so .....
    One of the best debut albums of all time. Not a single duff track on there.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Why get annoyed? I find it funny when people think they can get nearly new price for something used because they only bought it a few weeks ago, it's used/2nd hand! Mind you not as funny as those who try to bump up the price by claiming whatever they're selling is 'collectors' or 'players grade'. I just laugh and move on.... 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    It can be annoying.  I recognise that sellers have every right to price their gear as they wish, irrespective of how daftly optimistic they may be.  If it's something I'm not interested in buying I really don't give a damn. 

But it's frustrating if it's something you'd really like to buy comes up and you have a greedy and/or stupid seller asking a silly price.  I'm not going to pay well over the odds on principle, so I don't get to buy what I want and he almost certainly doesn't get a sale
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”