LP historic used prices

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I think a lot of reason why the post 2013 guitars are better is down to the historically correct truss rod they started using. You can just feel the increased resonance and vibration in your hand coming through the neck. All truss rods up to and inc 2012 were encased in a rubber sheath which physically isolated it from the wood. From 2013, they changed the truss rod to one identical to those used in the 50's and did not put it inside a rubber sheath. It makes a big difference in my opinion.

Rob.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Not trying to hijack this thread...but 2103 was a good year.. for CS Gibson in my opinion.
    Selling an R8 at the moment.
    Jon
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Ossyrocks said:
    I think a lot of reason why the post 2013 guitars are better is down to the historically correct truss rod they started using. You can just feel the increased resonance and vibration in your hand coming through the neck. All truss rods up to and inc 2012 were encased in a rubber sheath which physically isolated it from the wood. From 2013, they changed the truss rod to one identical to those used in the 50's and did not put it inside a rubber sheath. It makes a big difference in my opinion.
    Yep, that's a good point and something I missed from my list of enhancements.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hootsmon said:

^  If the old THs are now the LP Standard custom shop 2017s.....where is the old, top of the range, Historic RI model?
    They've collapsed the product range into one line. Don't confuse Standard with the USA Standard. The old R8/9/0 designations have kind of gone - all of the guitars are now identified on the certs simply as 'Les Paul Standard' but the serial numbers give away what year is being reissued.

One notable change is that the differences in neck profiles between the R7, R8 and R9 have now apparently gone - all guitars have the same '50s rounded profile (there will of course be variations because they're hand-finished) other than the 'R0', which has a slim neck.

Some will have a negative for models from around the 2012 period with a lam rosewood board, but I've seen a few that still capture all the magical qualities that you want - So depends if you are reading a spec sheet or playing the guitar when you are evaluating them
    My best playing and sounding guitar is a 2012 Custom Shop Les Paul R8. I did have it refinished with a Braz board installed, which has made it even better, but it was a killer guitar when it was stock.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:

Some will have a negative for models from around the 2012 period with a lam rosewood board, but I've seen a few that still capture all the magical qualities that you want - So depends if you are reading a spec sheet or playing the guitar when you are evaluating them
    My best playing and sounding guitar is a 2012 Custom Shop Les Paul R8. I did have it refinished with a Braz board installed, which has made it even better, but it was a killer guitar when it was stock.
    who did such work for you - sounds a nice package
    Brize said:

Historic Makeovers.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    Brize said:

Historic Makeovers.
    I was 1/2 expecting that - seen some good work from those guys - Just curious if you had a similar UK source that's all - Curious statement to a degree but you feel someone like Terry M could undertake such work and offer more of a 'legit' business model but I suppose it will depend on how much demand there is for such a service
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I'll wait to find a cheap historic at some point just to do a makeover and see what it's like before and after
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)