Has anybody brought back a guitar from a trip to the states?

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
I'm off to LA and San Francisco in October for a few weeks.

Last time I was over there were some tremendous deals especially on used fenders.

Not the best time with the exchange rate but obviously have a lot more guitars for sale and ones that are not so common in the UK.

I'd probably try to buy on the 2nd part of the trip as I am flying from LA to SF half way through and would prefer not to have to make another journey with any purchase.

If I happened to buy a bolt on neck guitar what if I took it apart wrapped it up and put in my cases?  

Flying and airports annoy me at the best times the extra stress of carrying a guitar might not be worth it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11468
    I've bought one back, but it was a relatively cheap one so came in under the £390 customs limit before you have headaches over duty.

The airline let me carry it in the cabin so it was relatively simple.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    Same here but was bolt-on so it went in a suitcase. A 70s Champ went in another one (and an Octafuzz, Rat, other bits)
  • I brought back an acoustic Ibanez (EW series) and it was fine. Had it in a hard case (one of the cheaper ones with polystyrene surrounded by material) I'd say that if you can unbolt the neck and pack it you won't have any breakage issues whatsoever. As for paying duty tax on it? That's another matter. You could take all the evidence of it being new off it (stickers and stuff) and then just say it was yours, and you'd been using it in the States. Even better if you can pay cash for the guitar and don't keep the receipt anywhere near it - you'll be fine :D 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7198
    My 1962 Jaguar came back from NY (eventually) as carry on. 

Not without a heart attack first mind you. 
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    You can carry it as hand luggage, if you check it in and it has rosewood on it you'll need the CITES certificate.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
    tFB Trader
    You can carry it as hand luggage, if you check it in and it has rosewood on it you'll need the CITES certificate.
    if it is personal luggage and you are carrying it with you don't need CITES paperwork if the guitar is made before 2/1/17 - but is advisable to have some receipt to indicate make, model, age and serial number - If it is Brazilian then certainly advisable to get CITES paperwork - But then depends how long you are in the USA for as it can take 2/3 weeks to acquire appropriate paperwork as the USA dealer will certainly not have an export CITES paperwork ready, so I dare say that won't suit your plans, unless an extended stay

If your plan is to break it into parts and smuggle it back in, then the whole risk is on your part if caught
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Post the receipt and any case candy back to yourself, relic it a bit and take an old strap you've had for years with you to put on it ;)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30943
    edited July 2017
    Yes, I brought a 1974 Strat back. Carry on, carry off, not stopped.

(Assume the Customs officers knew 70's strats are dogwank)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    I brought a guitar back and landed at Heathrow at 0600.  There was nobody in the Red Channel just a phone.  I called them up and the upshot was they couldn't be bothered to send someone down so they let me go through!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited July 2017
    Yep, thought I wouldn't risk it so kept to the duty-free max value and bought a bombproof softcase as I assumed it was going to go in the hold.

In the end the stewardess very kindly took it on board and put in the cupboard where they keep their coats, and the customs officer once back in the UK couldn't have been more uninterested in it.

Should have gone for an AVRI, the exchange rate was ridiculous at the time
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    X
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I brought one back about 10 years ago...i got a guitar with case ....scuffed it up a bit on the balcony and put a load of stickers on and walked through with it without problem.....i suppose you could take a old wreck over in a case and bring a good one back and bin the old one :)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Two Brazilian Rosewood accoustics. Scadged a lift on a rich clients plane and landed in Dundee...
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    I go to the US fairly often as my middle son lives there and TBH I haven't found anything lately on CL or shops that was a better buy than you could get over here up to the £390 duty free barrier.

New can be a fair bit cheaper but don't forget to add on state tax and the problem of getting though Customs.

It's OK people saying to break down a Fender but nowadays they often ask to look in your case and a lot of kerfuffle with HMRC after a long transatlantic flight is the last thing you need just to save a few quid.  
  • Yeah, brought back a strat in 2015. Just bought a screwdriver, seperated the neck off the body and put it in my hold luggage suitcase. It was fine!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom