Recommend me a bass

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Lol, I should've added a smiley as that reads a bit harshly.

I play bass more than guitar at home these days. Weirdly I write better guitar parts when I'm playing bass, by singing along with a bass line, than on guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Lol, I should've added a smiley as that reads a bit harshly.

I play bass more than guitar at home these days. Weirdly I write better guitar parts when I'm playing bass, by singing along with a bass line, than on guitar.
    Wasn't taken as harsh. Its rare to play a bass with any kind of bending or vibrato I guess, but I like to add a bit in!

In reality, I think I just like the wide fretboards because they are easier on my hands. I always feel really cramped up on a Jazz.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    edited August 2017
    ICBM said:
    none of them are ...

...never mind. You know what I'm going to say .
    I hope that you were going to say none is.

Eccent-Ric bass guitars have their place. A unique sound and a different ride. Only yesterday evening, I grabbed my 4001 at random to sketch out a bass line on a demo recording. Managed to come up with something that I never would have attempted on brand F, MM or W.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BorkBork Frets: 256

I currently have a short scale Ibanez bass with an active pickup.  It is okay but I want a full scale bass and something that doesn't look as bad.

So I'm thinking a Precision Bass.   I've played Jazz bases quite a bit, they always seem big and round sounding.  The impression I get is Precisions are a bit more focused and a bit harder sounding, probably less Jazz/soul and more suitable for funk?

Anyway, assuming this is broadly correct, what would be good to look at on a budget.  Squire affinity series, or perhaps a classic vibe?  Budget around £250, either new or 2nd hand.

Also, pickups, are the squire pickups reasonable?  I only really know about guitar pickups, for example, the classic vibe ones are pretty good, but some of the Mexican ceramics are not great. 

Another option is starting a partscaster build and buying the bits as I can afford them.

If you're comfortable with constructing and setting a bass up, go with partscaster.  You'll get far better quality and value for money.  

Select a maple neck (with rosewood board if you like softer purr or maple fingerboard if you like snappy), an alder (if you like soft purr) or ash (if you like snappy) body.  Buy some second hand pickups - Lace Sensors or Armstrong are pretty good and cheap as chips.  Get decent hardware too, avoid anything with "vintage" in the name. 

There's no particular bass suited for one style over another in terms of sound - that's all marketing BS. Go with something that feels comfortable and, if you plan on experimenting with different sounds, two pickups for versatility.  A jazz bass will do a decent P-bass tone on the neck pickup or a p bass body with PJ pickups and jazz neck if you like (although there's a bit of a mismatch in output between P and J pickups unless you get a matched set).  Forget about active eq for now. 

If you don't know what you want, go visit a music shop and mess about on a couple of instruments to help you focus your thoughts a bit more.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    In the OP's budget, I'd seriously look at the Indonesian Squier P Bass Special. It's now been discontinued, but they can be found second hand.  Precision body with Jazz neck, PJ pickup configuration and no silly active circuitry to worry about.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I've tried the Jag when bass shopping with my son, as his bass is still that Vintage we bought for £60 our standards weren't that high but the Jag still didn't meet them - looked nice though.
    The VM Jazz is still good, bassist in my old band used one. Changed the bridge but was happy with the pick ups; generally speaking anyone I've been in a band with has low standards but he was an ex pro function player with a closet full of expensive bass gear and still used the VM live.
    The Marcus Miller branded ones might be worth a look but new only from Thomann so they aren't as competitively priced now. Worth bearing in mind if one pops up used. 
    Still not bought my son a new bass, current front runners have been MIM Precisions, but they aren't consistent - you have to try them out. 
    I don't think I've seen that Squier PJ before so that'll go on our list. Just waiting on his exam results - so he's probably f*****d, just joking son...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Precision body with Jazz neck, PJ pickup configuration and no silly active circuitry to worry about.
    Not quite.

This is the 2014 Squier VM Precision Bass in my forum ID thumbnail.

http://i.imgur.com/gP1IZKD.jpg?2

40mm whereas the nut width of a 2014 Squier VM Jazz Bass is 38mm.
    crunchman said:
    Precision body with Jazz neck, PJ pickup configuration and no silly active circuitry to worry about.
    Not quite.

38mm? That's about enough for 2 strings on mine ;)
    The AVRI '63 P is 45mm. 
    The AVRI '63 P is 45mm. 
    I'd post a pic of mine but I don't have a fisheye lens ;)
    That's what your wife said. Ba da boom! ;)
    That's what your wife said. Ba da boom! ;)
    No, sadly she asked for my macro lens...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    crunchman said:
    Not quite.

I wasn't talking about the VM.  There was one in the old Squier Standard Series.