Mid-life crisisses

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
After reading Emp's latest rage about mid-life-crisis bikers it got me thinking that a mid-life crisis is probably quite expensive so maybe I should start saving up for one!

So inspire me with what you guys have done - bought a motorbike? bought the ridiculous car you wanted as a kid? started cycling and bought a titanium bike? left your wife for a 20year old? started a mad prog originals band? quit your decent job for something random? gone back to college/uni?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2267
    Bought loads of guitars, amps and pedals and gone on mental holidays.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I bought a motorbike about 5 years ago, then again I was riding at 5 years old, and then took 7 years of nagging for the wife to agree as she hates them. Even after all that I was allowed a 125, so by my mid 40s I'm hoping to go full crisis and get a big bike
  • I've done it arse-about-face. Riding motorbikes since I was 12 (legally since 17) led to hanging out at the local rock pub in my early 20s, which led to playing guitar in a band.
    BigMonka said:
    So inspire me with what you guys have done - bought a motorbike? bought the ridiculous car you wanted as a kid? 
    I almost bought Street Hawk when I was a teenager.  It was for sale in Motor Cycle News, by a Welsh stuntman who worked on the programme.  I had an interview with the bank manager, who was about to lend me 10 months wages, as the classic car market was a great investment at the time. 

It all went tits-up when he asked if I was going to transport it in a van or on a trailer and I told him it would be my everyday ride.  For some reason, my reassurance that "I won't be doing stunts on the public highway" wasn't enough. :)

3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4309
    edited July 2017
    I almost bought Street Hawk when I was a teenager.

I think it's fair to say that the internet isn't going to produce a better sentence than that today....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Join a gliding club for a few seasons!

(Apologies for that being German. Nice Astir though!)

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I used to think mid-life crises were odd and sad, as it mainly seemed to be fat blokes showing off and trying to act "young".

Now that I'm mid-life, I see that it really has nothing to do with preening and strutting about. It's more about wanting a bit more freedom and fun in life.

I don't have any money to buy a Harley or keep a mistress, so I'm a bit stuck on what to do. I have been invited to join a folk circle at someone's house, but I'm scared there'll be a bowl for car keys in the hall.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16316
    I've probably had one I just don't recognise what it was. Might have been the attempt at a hipster beard ( which made me look like a tramp), not much of one but budget friendly. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1802
    The whole fast bike or Harley idea leaves me cold.
    could not stay on them when I had them. Now a bike that can do 180mph and 0-60 in the time it takes to blink is more of a suicide pack than an affirmation of life for me.

mistresses are costly and high maintenance in the modern world there are infinite need a shag apps.

giving up the steady job and having a crack on my own in my 40's was the best thing and I love the way I make money these days it's not work.

having only mildly gone off the rails in my 40's compared to the ex Mrs who turned in to a crack snorting hag who moved in with her dealer and a cast of others.

i am planning bigger things for my final decade. I feel at this point my life has been a constant compromise to please every  wife girlfriend child, step child,  business partners etc etc.

my last decade 60-70 will be a quick goodbye to all and most of my possessions and I intend to fill it with only doing the things I want and what makes me happy. It may sound lonely or boring but I spend 18 hours a day pleasing all of the above mostly to the detriment of the things I want to do. Selfish yes but if you get 3 score and 10 having the ten for yourself is logical and liberating in my mind.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    I've endeavoured to lose weight and pursue younger women.

I've been very successful with the former....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16254
    Had the bike since early 20s and the guitar, done the sports car many,many years ago and there is no fun in them with a camera every 200 meters .....having a mistress is even more expensive than a wife .......had a spell of buying clothes that really were 25 years too young for me so that only leaves a yacht or a sex change .
    P.S. I can't afford a yacht .

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4750
    I've endeavoured to lose weight and pursue younger women.

I've been very successful with the former....
    Upgrade your budget for the latter....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    A friend of mine has adventures ... he's walked up all the big hills in England/Wales and is now doing Scotland - he sometimes goes alone or with a few friends and he gets up to all sorts of things while away. Been on a fishing trawler, up a wind turbine, down a disused mine ... and best of all its cheap. Made lots of friends along the way and stayed in loads of pubs ... on done on public transport and walking.

Sounds boring but he has lots of stories to tell upon his return.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23486

I've bought loads and loads of guitars, to the point where there's no space to keep any more.

But I've been doing that since my 20s, so maybe the mid-life crisis will be getting rid of them.

• Lewy said:

I think it's fair to say that the internet isn't going to produce a better sentence than that today....
    Here's the bike, but it wouldn't look anything like that if I'd have bought it.  Continuing the crisis thing, I was 41 when my (only) son was born.  Hopefully I'll have retired by the time he's 35 and moves out.  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Does wearing jeans at 61 reveal anything about me?

Don't recall having a mid life crisis!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    Lewy said:

Here's the bike, but it wouldn't look anything like that if I'd have bought it.  Continuing the crisis thing, I was 41 when my (only) son was born.  Hopefully I'll have retired by the time he's 35 and moves out.  :)

Jeez, you dodged a bullet not buying that.  :s
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2633
    Like @Guitar_Slinger I've been riding motorbikes since I was 13 so been there, still doing that. Played the guitar too since that age so that's out. Losing weight and dating is my latest mission at 48. Not a mid life crisis as such but there's only so much filth you can watch on the internet.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
    I've always wanted to build a kit car or restore a classic car (although no previous experience), so I could imagine getting something like a Westfield or a classic mini cooper.

Or maybe signing up for an ironman triathlon someday.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    Definitely need to shed some weight - not for dating purposes, the rest of me is falling to bits coping with it !

More money and single minded enjoyment has meant a lot of GAS/NGD/NAD in recent times - call it middle aged crisis - - but not only am I way over "quota" I really have run out of all usable space - sadly a cull is needed :(

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Our neighbour has fully embraced his mid life crisis. 

He regularly travels to assist in aid missions. Spends half the time volunteering, half the time exploring. 

He also has a pretty sweet line up of bicycles - a very nice road bike, a fixed fork mountain bike and a tourer. 

He did get a couple of nice cars, second hand to minimise losses when he sold them on, but he found it left him wanting - he reckons that experiences are worth a lot more than the "usual" stuff (although I'd argue that, if you've never driven a sports car before, owning a lotus elise is probably as much of an experience as anything). 

He's lucky. His missus does everything with him provided he does he mid life crisis stuff too - typically posh wines, bird watching and seeing more of the UK.