Mid-life crisisses

What's Hot

Comments

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Rocker said:
    Does wearing jeans at 61 reveal anything about me?

Depends on how tight they are!!
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Our neighbour has fully embraced his mid life crisis. 

He regularly travels to assist in aid missions. Spends half the time volunteering, half the time exploring. 

He also has a pretty sweet line up of bicycles - a very nice road bike, a fixed fork mountain bike and a tourer. 

He did get a couple of nice cars, second hand to minimise losses when he sold them on, but he found it left him wanting - he reckons that experiences are worth a lot more than the "usual" stuff (although I'd argue that, if you've never driven a sports car before, owning a lotus elise is probably as much of an experience as anything). 

He's lucky. His missus does everything with him provided he does he mid life crisis stuff too - typically posh wines, bird watching and seeing more of the UK. 
    Now that sounds like right up my street :-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonka said:

He regularly travels to assist in aid missions. Spends half the time volunteering, half the time exploring. 

He also has a pretty sweet line up of bicycles - a very nice road bike, a fixed fork mountain bike and a tourer. 

He did get a couple of nice cars, second hand to minimise losses when he sold them on, but he found it left him wanting - he reckons that experiences are worth a lot more than the "usual" stuff (although I'd argue that, if you've never driven a sports car before, owning a lotus elise is probably as much of an experience as anything). 

He's lucky. His missus does everything with him provided he does he mid life crisis stuff too - typically posh wines, bird watching and seeing more of the UK. 
    Now that sounds like right up my street :-)

I forgot his best one! He started learning to play bizarre folk instruments I've never heard of. 

Bit of a legend. Brews his own beer too. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398

I know an airline pilot who did this in Africa during his layover time.  Turns out he was also laying over elsewhere - complete with new kid in Kenya !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Fretwired said:
    A friend of mine has adventures ... he's walked up all the big hills in England/Wales and is now doing Scotland - he sometimes goes alone or with a few friends and he gets up to all sorts of things while away. Been on a fishing trawler, up a wind turbine, down a disused mine ... and best of all its cheap. Made lots of friends along the way and stayed in loads of pubs ... on done on public transport and walking.

Sounds boring but he has lots of stories to tell upon his return.
    Doesn't sound boring to me - sounds great!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I bought 9 amps and 6 guitars...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Does wearing jeans at 61 reveal anything about me?

Depends on how tight they are!!
    Hopefully they're not those ones which are skinny on the legs but baggy around the arse.  Carrot jeans, do they call them?  Nobody should go round looking like a superannuated Nick Grimshaw.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    Most significantly, I gave up the proper job and salary and started a small business. Earnings are well under 50% of the old job, and now everything that goes wrong really is my fault.

Obviously, there was also the inevitable mid-engined sports car. Then another one, and another. Down to just two now. Will sell them both this year. Because while I think the driving experience is fantastic, Ms Goldtop prefers to do road trips in a comfy old Lexus. :(

Plus a few vintage guitars, the spendiest of which I'm also selling this year.

So I've got to think up a new and expensive crisis for next year...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    I don't think I had one because I left the wage slave life 15 years ago and didn't breed.
    I do ride motorcycles, play music, cycle and went back to uni though so if I am having a mid life crisis then it started at 32.
    I just call it 'enjoying my life and not making decisions that make me unhappy'.
    Long may it continue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    goldtop said:
    Most significantly, I gave up the proper job and salary and started a small business. Earnings are well under 50% of the old job, and now everything that goes wrong really is my fault.

Obviously, there was also the inevitable mid-engined sports car. Then another one, and another. Down to just two now. Will sell them both this year. Because while I think the driving experience is fantastic, Ms Goldtop prefers to do road trips in a comfy old Lexus. :(

Sounds great - is your business doing the same thing as your old job was?
    I think we could do with some photos of these mid-engined cars too!
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2017
    octatonic said:
    I don't think I had one because I left the wage slave life 15 years ago and didn't breed.
    I do ride motorcycles, play music, cycle and went back to uni though so if I am having a mid life crisis then it started at 32.
    I just call it 'enjoying my life and not making decisions that make me unhappy'.
    Long may it continue.

And that's the point I think most things labeled as a mid life crisis are the person is just more wise/brave/rich/aware of life's fragile nature to now do or own all the things they put off due to commitments to mortgage/family/career
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited July 2017
    I'd agree with that.  I spent my 20s doing stuff I couldn't afford to do as a teenager (motorbikes, guitars) and got married /started a family years later.

I twice left stable jobs to try something else.  Once at 19, I left an office job to earn good money as a despatch rider in London.  That lasted less than a year because I didn't want to end up smashed up and skint, like the other blokes my Dad's age.  I also left an office career late-30s and gave myself a year to find something music-related.  The recession (before Cameron's coalition got in) meant funding/money in that field disappeared, so within 10 months I went back to stability and started a family.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    I bought a M3 convertible. So far every single friend who has seen it has made reference to a MLC. So far, I think I prefer diving into the MLC than trying to ignore it. So many friends have had health problems it make you realise there will be a time when you are not physically able to have a MLC, so do it....now.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2017
    goldtop said:
    I've done something similar, like you, earnings are currently 50% what I was making as a wage slave, but I'm much happier.

You do end up working harder, because every hour has to be chargeable and accounted for. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I don't think I've really had a mid-life crisis, I've never really been any different apart from being fatter, balder, more optically-challenged and less impulsive than I used to be. After a spending spree during which I bought more amps than I've had hot dinners, I've not bought any band gear for years, and the band gigs infrequently these days. I've got the Esprit in the garage however, which probably qualifies me for the mid-life crisis.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Lodious said:
    I bought a M3 convertible. So far every single friend who has seen it has made reference to a MLC. So far, I think I prefer diving into the MLC than trying to ignore it. So many friends have had health problems it make you realise there will be a time when you are not physically able to have a MLC, so do it....now.

Wisdom. 

I would have bought guitars, fast cars and carbon bike in my 20s if I'd been able to afford it. Just enjoy life as it's not coming back.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    Is it possible that MLC simply means having a bit of accrued spare money to buy some toys -it's nothing to do with age ;just that it coincides with the time it's taken to be able to afford some of the things you've always hankered for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Is it possible that MLC simply means having a bit of accrued spare money to buy some toys -it's nothing to do with age ;just that it coincides with the time it's taken to be able to afford some of the things you've always hankered for.
    Agreed, it's the stage of your life too - perhaps not as desperate to put in effort to be promoted at work, kids a bit older so not needing as much constant supervision/attention etc
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    A mid-life crisis is also about
    BigMonka said:
    goldtop said:

Sounds great - is your business doing the same thing as your old job was?
    I think we could do with some photos of these mid-engined cars too!
    No - completely different job, different field, different market, different tech. Self-taught, make it up as I go along. :)

I won't clutter the thread up with a lot of pointy car pix, so just the most mad:

(Most mad, because it was built by a bloke in his shed. Who knows if he left out any safety critical bolts...)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    BigMonka said:
    I've always wanted to build a kit car or restore a classic car (although no previous experience), so I could imagine getting something like a Westfield or a classic mini cooper.

Or maybe signing up for an ironman triathlon someday.
    My brother in law did a year of evening classes in car maintenance and then started building a kit car ( one of his ongoing MLCs). You get loads of support, although it's not cheap. Still, he has this amazing car now even if he can only use it on sunny days. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.