Klotz La Grange cable

What's Hot
GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
I bought one of these in December '14 and it's been my favourite cable ever since, so I was more than a little pissed off when it died for no apparent reason and under no stress etc whatsoever this weekend. 

Normally you just just swallow a lead dying, but these are pretty pricey so I was seething. 

Imagine my delight upon doscovering that they carry a manufacturers warrant of 5 years!

It goes back via guitarguitar tomorrow. Pretty good service, that. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    From the admittedly crappy pictures I can see of these they don't look anything special - the plugs look like Neutrik and the cable looks like van Damme. Nice to get a 5 year warranty though.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    Gagaryn said:
    From the admittedly crappy pictures I can see of these they don't look anything special - the plugs look like Neutrik and the cable looks like van Damme. Nice to get a 5 year warranty though.
    It's their own cable I believe. 

https://shop.klotz-ais.com/shop/5489-premade/5452-guitar-instrument-cable/6227-lapr.html

Won a fair few awards too 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Gagaryn said:
    From the admittedly crappy pictures I can see of these they don't look anything special
    It's excellent cable, and they use good quality Neutrik plugs.

I'd rather that than money wasted on fancy-looking cables that aren't as well made.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Sporky said:
    Gagaryn said:
    From the admittedly crappy pictures I can see of these they don't look anything special

I'd rather that than money wasted on fancy-looking cables that aren't as well made.
    I agree with @Sporky Klotz cables and connectors are good quality and I've never had any adverse issues with them.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Do they do a glittery version? ;-)
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    Gagaryn said:
    I'll put a note in with my return requesting one 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    A long time ago I had a couple of unexplained mid-cable failures with Klotz cable, and I've never really trusted it since. After that I've always used Horizon for my own cables, with total reliability so far.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Gagaryn said:
    They do the Europa cable, which is braided. Three colour combinations.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    I have a Klotz cable I made up myself with Neutrik jacks and in the last couple of years it's gone microphonic. Very loud rustling/rubbing noises whenever I handle the cable. Ironically, the cable is labelled "low microphonics".

Best idea I can come up with is that a bad solder joint at one of the plugs is acting like a diode, or resistance, which in conjunction with the distributed capacitance is somehow acting like a transducer.. or something. I'll reflow the joints either end next time I fire up the old soldering iron.
    A solder joint can't act as a diode - that would require a semiconducting element.

Could be that the antistatic bit has been damaged (though it's both tough and flexible). Is it anywhere specific on the cable that is making the noise?
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Sporky said:
    Gagaryn said:

Mine (from 2002 Sporky!) are still going strong after some hefty abuse. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited July 2017
    Sporky said:
    A solder joint can't act as a diode - that would require a semiconducting element.
    Which can happen if it's cracked and a very thin layer of oxide forms.

Sporky said:

Could be that the antistatic bit has been damaged (though it's both tough and flexible).
    I would guess the opposite - that the shield braiding has broken somewhere, but is still making a fairly good connection past the break via the conductive plastic so it doesn't go to an open circuit. Even a normal cable will often mostly work like that since the individual braiding strands usually don't break in the same place.

Yes, I am a geek and I have post-mortemed dead cables to find out why :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2017
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:
    You'd have to use some very weird solder for that to become a semiconductor.

Simplest way I can work out is if you had a heavily tin based solder and had used sulphuric acid to clean the joint. Even then it'd need doping with something.

Good point on the shielding - it'd take a fair bit of work to do that much damage, but not implausible. IIRC La Grange is a spiral shield rather than braided, which might make that more likely. I used to like Sommer Spirit for patch leads - that had two spiral shields, wound in opposite directions. Bit of a git to solder the plugs but almost indestructible.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    Cables can exhibit some very strange behaviour. There's many a time I've sensed somethings not quite right with something mic'ed up .... the signal needs more gain than normal and it sounds kind of hollow. Then you unscrew the mic lead lead ends ... looks OK, check the mic lead on a multi lead tester and it tests fine. So you swap the cable out and the faults gone, the other lead is duff but not in a way that's detectable with a continuity test ........... to the point I don't test cables with a cable tester anymore except maybe speaker cables
    I don't honestly know what goes wrong within the cable to create that fault but it crops up all the time in the PA business
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited July 2017
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

Simplest way I can work out is if you had a heavily tin based solder and had used sulphuric acid to clean the joint. Even then it'd need doping with something.
    I think it happens more like the junction in a crystal radio detector, rather than a true semiconductor material. Bear in mind that almost all electronics solder *is* almost all tin with minor impurities, and you're halfway there…

I'm pretty sure this is a known mechanism.

(Edit - although as yet, I can't find a reference to it anywhere now!)

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637

I will investigate further... from recollection, handling the cable anywhere along its length produces loud noise, which is why I suspected some parasitic component at the jacks rather than a localised fault in the shielding.

Good point @icbm, tin is just below silicon and germanium in the periodic table. I was thinking along the lines of oxide or excess flux.

Good point @icbm, tin is just below silicon and germanium in the periodic table. 

Erm... that's why I suggested tin as the most likely path. Tin sulphide is semi-conducting, hence the sulphuric acid comment.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

I think it happens more like the junction in a crystal radio detector, rather than a true semiconductor material. Bear in mind that almost all electronics solder *is* almost all tin with minor impurities, and you're halfway there…

I'm pretty sure this is a known mechanism.

(Edit - although as yet, I can't find a reference to it anywhere now!)
    I can remember it being cited as a phenomena  when I used to work in Broadcast Engineering.