Hartman Flanger - any one here used or still using these? (EHX Electric Mistress clone)

What's Hot
jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 147
edited July 2017 in FX
There's one on eBay for £300 - the seller claims that another one recently sold for £500. I realise they used to be popular on the guitar forums back in the day and are no longer in production, but it seems like a high price tag for a copy.

I accept that the original Electric Mistresses aren't always easy to come by either and not everyone is a fan of the volume drop or power supply with those, but online consensus seems to be that it's sonically only about 90% of the way there when compared. I've also seen people claim the cheaper Mooer E-Lady is closer. I'm curious as I have both the Mooer and Hartman, but haven't really compared them. Does any one still use the Hartman and is do you think it's worth the high sale value?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    I've never tried one but the asking money is getting stupid for these. Just buy a mooer or a reissue and pocket the £200+ in change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The Hartman is a good flanger
     I sold one on here for less than that I think
    500 quid though .. at the end of the day it's only a flanger
    (the Helix gray flanger is about the best I've heard btw)
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    I do not like flangers.......but the Hartman analogue flanger sounds fantastic
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 147
    I've never tried one but the asking money is getting stupid for these. Just buy a mooer or a reissue and pocket the £200+ in change.
    Exactly - although the new re-issues sound noticeably less like the Electric Mistress than they used to - and they're no longer analogue. EHX really aren't helping themselves when they allow analog clones like the Mooer to be better than their own re-issues for a lot less money!

Cabicular said:
    The Hartman is a good flanger
     I sold one on here for less than that I think
    500 quid though .. at the end of the day it's only a flanger
    (the Helix gray flanger is about the best I've heard btw)

Do you remember how much yours went for? I got one off Gumtree a few months back for £150, assumed that was the going rate. Haven't tried the gray Helix one - is it the same in the Helix LT etc?

I do not like flangers.......but the Hartman analogue flanger sounds fantastic

It does sound nice. Just not £500 nice!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I think it was about that but I can't find the mails 
    the LT models are identical to the big Helix ones
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I had one, it was nice, but I think I paid £140 for it and sold it for £100 or so when they were still in production. £300+ is silly, they're just a flanger with a sparkly paint job. My mate got one, he had clock noise with his.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    Played my friends alongside my Mooer . Both great .Rather have Mooer and £300 thanks v much
  • I remember having a choice of buying one of the last known genuinely retailed Hartman Flangers here in the UK by a Hartman dealer. I bought it and ended up asking for my money back before they sent it because the Hartman I was borrowing at the time didn't sound any better than the Mooer Elec Lady I also had at the time. Didn't make sense, even though I was hugely gutted to leave the pedal behind and almost heartbroken at the thought of it being the last Hartman Flanger I'd ever see for sale as I knew they were no longer in business.

Shit story, but it meant something to me! Haha.

More importantly, when are Fractal owners going to get a Mistress model??? Jealous of you Helix owners!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    Hi James,

This episode of TPS dedicated to Flangers might be helpful as it features the Mooer and others but sadly, not the Hartman

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Kebabkid said:
    Hi James,

This episode of TPS dedicated to Flangers might be helpful as it features the Mooer and others but sadly, not the Hartman

Strange really cos I know for a fact that Dan loved his Hartman 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 147
    Dominic said:
    Played my friends alongside my Mooer . Both great .Rather have Mooer and £300 thanks v much
    Exactly - seems like a RYRA vs Soul Food debate. Neither is the real thing, but both are very similar yet priced very differently!

I remember having a choice of buying one of the last known genuinely retailed Hartman Flangers here in the UK by a Hartman dealer. I bought it and ended up asking for my money back before they sent it because the Hartman I was borrowing at the time didn't sound any better than the Mooer Elec Lady I also had at the time. Didn't make sense, even though I was hugely gutted to leave the pedal behind and almost heartbroken at the thought of it being the last Hartman Flanger I'd ever see for sale as I knew they were no longer in business.

Shit story, but it meant something to me! Haha.

More importantly, when are Fractal owners going to get a Mistress model??? Jealous of you Helix owners!
     You can still get one - if you don't mind spending £300-£500 :)

Seriously though I think Helix LT is looking like the way forward for me for smaller gigs where I still want all the sounds. I love pedals and amps, but am tired of lugging around a Deluxe Reverb and a heavy board on the tube for smaller mid-week gigs!

Kebabkid said:
    Hi James,

Thanks - TPS is a good show, that's actually what turned me on to the Mooer. I used to play in a Police tribute before moving to London and had one of the older Electric Mistresses for that. Great sound, but the lack of LED was very annoying for live use. The Hartman Flangers used to have an almost mythological status on forums etc; which when you think about it is crazy for a copy.

Looks like the Mooer eventually killed the market for the Hartmans, or I imagine they'd still be in production. Seems like we're very lucky with pedals these days; I can't imagine any of the cheap Danelectro or Behringer pedals rivaling models by the boutique brands 10 years ago!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    The one thing I'll say for that video that they totally fudge over - and try editing out - is the noise of those old EH Mistress pedals. They are hideously noisy. The Mooer is a HUGE upgrade over the old EH for that. Yes, there are very small differences but the Mooer does 95% of what the EH does, with almost 100% less noise and for about 1/10th of the price!

I'd love a real green EH Mistress but I think the idea of owning it is going to be better than the reality. I'll stick to my Mooer...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Had one and sold for 200 I think 3 years ago.  In my experience when it was the only pedal in the chain it was fantastic, sparkly and "organic" but it hated other pedals when it generated lots of clock noise and other artefacts (even when nothing else was switched on) and I moved it on.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319

Yes, I thought that too and I'm sure he's brought it out in other vids.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3298
    Kebabkid said:
    hotpickups said:

Yes, I thought that too and I'm sure he's brought it out in other vids.
    You know it...