Warmoth build ideas.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24344
I fancy the idea of putting together a warmoth build.

Originally I had thought about getting a regular strat body and then a warmoth scale conversion neck for 24.75 as I much prefer that.

But now I've had a good dig around the warmoth website, I see they do 7/8 size strat bodies which reminded me of the excellent and very comfy Valley Arts guitars that were around years ago.

Has anyone put together such a beast?

I'm thinking 1980s throwback widdle machine. Probably single humbucker (but maybe a neck single as well), Floyd rose, maple board, that sort of thing.

There are very few 24.75 floyd equipped guitars out there so modding or assembling one would seem to be my best option.

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

Originally I had thought about getting a regular strat body and then a warmoth scale conversion neck for 24.75 as I much prefer that.

But now I've had a good dig around the warmoth website, I see they do 7/8 size strat bodies which reminded me of the excellent and very comfy Valley Arts guitars that were around years ago.

I'm thinking 1980s throwback widdle machine. Probably single humbucker (but maybe a neck single as well), Floyd rose, maple board, that sort of thing.

There are very few 24.75 floyd equipped guitars out there so modding or assembling one would seem to be my best option.

Thoughts?
    Probably fun. Look at a Vigier Sawn Lane as well. Gibson scale, very widlley
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    edited July 2017

Thoughts?
    Sounds amazing !
    just make sure you get an edge mounted jack socket !
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

I've been eyeing up the Warmoth site for the last year trying to spec a build - the issue is keeping it classy! Before you know it, all the good intentions turn into a quilted maple topped super-tele in sparkle purple burst, 4 pickups with a flamed maple fingerboard on an ebony neck with crazy inlays.

Actually my build is going to be pretty boring, but you know what I mean.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24344
    I've been looking at the Candy Tangerine colour, with black hardware!

Proper classy like!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I've been looking at the Candy Tangerine colour, with black hardware!

Proper classy like!

Oooh, the Candy Tangerine I very much approve of, tasty!
    Evilmags said:

Thoughts?
    Probably fun. Look at a Vigier Sawn Lane as well. Gibson scale, very widlley
    Ooo!

I had no idea it was Gibson scale. Lovely!
    That Shawn Lane looks lovely.

About £2000. Might actually be cheaper than all the Warmoth bits + vat!

World Guitars are expecting one in October. I might wait and visit to try it out - espectially as the fretboard is completely flat. I can imgaine that being excellent or really crap for me.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Is that with a rosewood board?  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    Sounds like you'd like a Jackson or Charvel Fusion... absolute widdle beasts, both. You could get one for £300/£400. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    Do it with a Musiclander body.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rrobertsrroberts Frets: 1
    I'd say do it, I built one years ago (with a Musiclander body as Sporky suggests) albeit in standard scale length and I found the build process very enjoyable and the end product very satisfying and 9 years later, I still have it and it still gets played almost daily.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    I think the issue with a short scale widdle machine is that 9's will not feel great on there. Any particular reason you want the shorter scale? Do you plan on using 10s?
    I find 24.75 lots more comfy.

i have a Caparison with that scale and a Floyd and 9s work well