Free movement between UK and EU to end in March 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    He's a yank now.
    Google 'Paul Hogan Australian Tax case'.
    Stop ruining my fun dad!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Drew_TNBD said:
    octatonic said:
    He's a yank now.
    Google 'Paul Hogan Australian Tax case'.
    Stop ruining my fun dad!!
    Go to your room and stop playing with it or you will go blind.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    goat said:
    No more spur of the moment romantic weekends in Paris, or sneaky smokey breaks to Amsterdam without applying for a visa in advance. Queuing up for 3 hours in the “outside the EU” anal investigation security line in the airport. Good times!
    based on what? I regularly travel outside the EU, don't need a visa in most places, particularly Asia.

I have a back up though, I can get Irish citizenship
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Drew_TNBD said:
    bodhi said:
    mellowsun said:

I think the ability to live and work freely in an EU country is the biggest loss for Brexit.
    I found it surprising - perhaps even disturbing - that so many people appear to have been quite happy to chuck that privilege into the bin (for all they knew).  Perhaps soon to be repented at leisure by the very same.
    LOL.

You think working class white people are working and living in the EU? Delusion. Absolutely delusional. The closest most of them get is going over to Calais from Dover on a booze cruise.
    As if that is what I said.

I know distinctly "middle class" voters who happily voted to leave (and who looked rather shocked at the result, presumably when it dawned on them what that could conceivably mean).

I found it surprising.  That's all.

The end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    bodhi said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    bodhi said:
    mellowsun said:

I think the ability to live and work freely in an EU country is the biggest loss for Brexit.
    I found it surprising - perhaps even disturbing - that so many people appear to have been quite happy to chuck that privilege into the bin (for all they knew).  Perhaps soon to be repented at leisure by the very same.
    LOL.

You think working class white people are working and living in the EU? Delusion. Absolutely delusional. The closest most of them get is going over to Calais from Dover on a booze cruise.
    As if that is what I said.

I know distinctly "middle class" voters who happily voted to leave (and who looked rather shocked at the result, presumably when it dawned on them what that could conceivably mean).

I found it surprising.  That's all.

The end.
    But stats suggest that most people who voted for Brexit were working class Midlanders and Northerners. They don't see the ability to work and live in the EU as a 'privilege' because they rarely use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    What thicko northerners voted Brexit to stop immigration? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Yep .. damn the white middle classes .. endless holidays in Tuscany will cost more the the queues .. oh darling can you imagine .. queuing with the great unwashed .... having to use a blue passport .. the shame ..

Momentum taking the piss out of Tory middle class hypocrisy .. seems to be popular on Twitter ... pretty spiteful politics but this is what we have now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/27/jeremy-corbyn-facing-hypocrisy-accusations-supporters-create/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

It's great for me cos I have a British and Irish passport. 

Mind you, even after living through years of terrorism in Northern Ireland, nothing has made me want to leave it more than Brexit. 

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Corbyn has millions he is a fuckin idiot hypocrite 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:
    Corbyn is a working class hero .. we have his picture on the wall in our office. Corbyn for PM .... he'll grow loads of money trees and our problems will be over. Cheap power, clean electric cars, three day week ....

Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    Corbyn is a working class hero .. we have his picture on the wall in our office. Corbyn for PM .... he'll grow loads of money trees and our problems will be over. Cheap power, clean electric cars, three day week ....

I have Jason Priestly on mine:

Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

The actor?

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

The actor?
    Yes, I think he's great.  
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Octatonic is the poshest Aussie on the FB.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I don't think middle class educated Brits will have any problems living and working in the EU. As soon as you have a job or can show you are not about to become dependent you get a residency permit in seconds. If your working class and don't hold qualifications you will find the process of issuing such documents (my gardener / handyman followed me from London) as the residents permit (which you need for banks, pay, legal ID,  driving, ect) drags on for months. If you say your buying a house it takes about 3 days to get your ID number. 

Britain has always played by the rules. Other countries do not. A Spaniards coming to the UK just applies for a national insurance number and has access to NHS, can work, open a bank account, pay bills ect. Doesn't work like that the other way round and half the people moaning about Brexit only ever holiday in the EU anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    “I feel betrayed,” Alexandros said. “To have worked so hard here, done those 16-hour hospital shifts, and be treated like this ... with spite. Made to feel you’re not valued, not wanted, not good enough for Britain. It breaks my heart, but I just want to go now. Whatever might happen, we wouldn’t stay.”

How does he think the British public feel? At least the ones who voted to leave. Largely they feel they were dragged into an autocratic monolithic superstate without any say in the matter.

I voted leave, with no strong preference either way tbh. But I can totally see how large portions of the country have increasingly felt betrayal over the decades.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    How does he think the British public feel? At least the ones who voted to leave. Largely they feel they were dragged into an autocratic monolithic superstate without any say in the matter.
    That's the cliché though isn't it? At the risk of repeating all the pre-referendum arguments, we had the best deal out of all EU states - we had opt outs on all the superstate stuff.

Can you give an example of how people have felt betrayed and in what way the EU was responsible for it?

They've certainly been betrayed by various UK governments. They'll be even more betrayed when we leave when job and investment opportunities decrease further.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    mellowsun said:
    Exodus .. a few people. According to the stats there are still people arriving. The situation is always fluid - I bet if I went to France I could find some Brits saying they are leaving as they can't stand the smelly French. In my corner of England I'm seeing new EU migrants every day.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    mellowsun said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    That's the cliché though isn't it? At the risk of repeating all the pre-referendum arguments, we had the best deal out of all EU states - we had opt outs on all the superstate stuff.

Can you give an example of how people have felt betrayed and in what way the EU was responsible for it?

They've certainly been betrayed by various UK governments. They'll be even more betrayed when we leave when job and investment opportunities decrease further.
    Dude it doesn't matter whether their feelings are borne out in the facts or not. What matters is how people felt, and that controlled how they voted - regardless of facts.

And it's not a forgone conclusion that job and investment opportunities will decrease further. That's the real cliche here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom