Strat Pickup choice

2»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    You want THIS and a £25 pickguard from just about any Fender spares Dealer then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @Alnico - I think the black American Pro already has a minty PG, so right off the shelf?
    @Alegree - stop it - oh go on, you say HSS format, so trad Humbucker bridge and single coil mid + neck but all single coil format? partscaster..........
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    TADodger said:
    @Alnico - I think the black American Pro already has a minty PG, so right off the shelf?
    @Alegree - stop it - oh go on, you say HSS format, so trad Humbucker bridge and single coil mid + neck but all single coil format? partscaster..........
    PAF, high output humbucker, P90, Strat single, Tele bridge and split humbucker from a conventional sized humbucker. 
    Have a read about it on my blog if you're curious https://www.alegree.co.uk/blogs/news/building-a-chameleon-a-pickup-build-saga-part-1-the-concept
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    I will, thanks
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    TADodger said:
    No, it has Parchment.
    It's a VERY nice shade of white but not Mint Green.
    You can get a Mint Green as a Fender Spare Part though, should you want to.
    You get aged white plastics on a parchment plate with a Pro.
    Looks lovely.
    I have to agree though, actual proper Mint Green would look stunning on that guitar and even more so if you splash out on a CS Mint Green plate. I *think* they're nitro lacquered but Mark @guitars4you would know much more than me.
    He might even be able to get you one?

If you're going to buy a Pro, I can't think of anyone I'd rather buy one from more than @DougCoda
    Seriously, you just can't go wrong with Doug and his shop (If you don't already know) is like Mecca for guitarists.
    Ok, so not single coil format but a hum bucker that would fit in an HSS Strat bridge position that will give trad HB, P90 or Strat, or Tele single coil sounds? 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    TADodger said:
    Ok, so not single coil format but a hum bucker that would fit in an HSS Strat bridge position that will give trad HB, P90 or Strat, or Tele single coil sounds? 
    Yes, but no 'ors', just 'ands'. All are available at the flip of a rotary switch.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited July 2017
    TADodger said:
    Thanks for all the information. I do lean towards the SSS Strat as I am a home player, but wanting to do more starting with the Quad Studios Jam. 

Are the standard pickups in the American Pro good enough to not want to change quickly (unless you don't like 60 cycle hum), in which case would you still go for an American Pro and change pickups or is it worth going for an Elite?
    If it's anything to go by, I got a Telecaster Pro a few months back and love the sound. I don't notice any significant issues with hum. Both pickups sound excellent to my ear.

I considered a Telecaster Elite, but preferred the sound and feel of the Pro based on trying them and after checking demo clips on YouTube.
    It's not a competition.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    My favourite strat has HSS with two Fralin Blues Specials in neck and middle and  Fralin Unbucker in the bridge. The split on the Unbucker is 70/30ish so you don't get the same thinned out tone when tapped.

I have the split on a push/push pot. This is just so much easier than a microtoggle or push/pull. 

In addition I also have the ability.to put neck and middle.in series with the bridge controlled by another push/push pot (volume pot). This gives a big volume boost for solos and a fuller tone. 

If I was doing it again I'd have another push/push to flip the split on the Unbucker to get the 30% side for even more versatility. 
    @stratman3142 - thanks, Good to hear.
    @hyweig - I think that I have decided to try to buy something that I don't want to imediately upgrade, but,  I could still put a new loaded pickguard in my G&L.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I've got the Seymour Duncan "Everything Axe Set" in my Strat, it sounds a lot better now, more output and smoother cleans. The bridge can still get bitey and gnarly if you want. Still lacks the mid-range beef that Bareknuckle's have though so I might switch them at some point.