Thinking of early 80's Tokai - Generally good?

What's Hot
LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
edited July 2017 in Guitar
As per many other threads, craving some P90 in my life and I see there's an '82 model LS70 which is both a goldtop, and has P90's. I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger - but before I do I realised it might be worth a sanity check!

The serial number is 101xxxx so I gather that's 1982, 1st Run. It's a goldtop with P90's so that narrows it down to 1982 (so I imagine, built in 1981 and put out in 1982 as part of the first run). Mahogany body, laminate spruce top (possibly)., It's listed as a 1956 model, so I gather that means a relatively chunky neck?

Any other info would be grand - it's currently on eBay for £750!

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Bargain.  I have a 81 LS80 gold top and it's one of  the best les Paul's I've played.  Check the weight if it's a concern there are some heavy ones about. Should be a solid maple top.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I think most LS80's have Solid maple top with veneer flame finish..Not sure about a Gold top though (No point having a veneer)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Up to 1982 most LS80s are solid plain tops, LS120 are mostly flame veneers with the odd solid one, LS150 are solid flame tops.  All the gold tops are solid, pointless putting a veneer on and painting it.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    As seen on this catalogue page - http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume506.jpg ?

If so, very cool, and must be one of the rarer early Tokais.

• This one is listed as an LS70GT as discussed so would be that one top right. Is about £750 a good price? Or is it likely to go up significantly?
    edited July 2017
    Think it's likely to go up to about £1000 but you never know, there are a lot of good guitars going cheap at the moment
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited July 2017
    Ask about the neck profile as I have played a fair few with slimmer neck profiles.
  • I see. i've asked on the profile. For much over £1000 I can get a modern (2012?) Les Paul Deluxe and just chuck some P90's in that - but I hear so much amazing stuff about the Tokai!
  • Or of course, a modern LP Studio/Tribute - but I really fancy a nitro finished goldtop :)
    I'm not certain, but I don't think the LS70 will be nitro, that, as far as I know only applied to the LS80 (humbucker a) and above
  • This would almost certainly be a poly finished guitar like the LS50/60, with a slimmer C shaped neck, and while less common, not really a particularly premium/desirable guitar imo 
  • @jumping@shadows ; @john_A that's great, I've got a lower spec Burny on the line that's also poly finished at half the price, so maybe better to defer on this one - rather than clutter this specific Tokai thread with extra discussion around other suppliers, will start a separate thread around it. 

Thank you all!!
  • @WilliamAyerst  No problem mate- I find the poly finished Tokais to be pretty 'meh', and feel rather generic (may as well get a cheapie Epi really), and it's worth spending some more for the premium nitro examples to feel the benefit 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    You don't get nitro finishes on Tokais without spending about £1400+, I think? And, FWIW, Tokai's '80s reputation was based on the relatively low-end poly-finished models (LS50/60 ST-50, etc).

It's only recently that we've gone crazy for the rarer, spendier nitro-finished models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom