Harrison Georgeocaster

What's Hot
shugzshugz Frets: 768
edited July 2017 in Guitar
Hi Folks,

Thought this may or may not be of interest. Over the last few months I've been involved in a little project with a local luthier, Ragh Guitar. Run by Grant MacKay and based in Ayrshire. He's kindly given me a bit of an endorsement deal just to be totally transparent but this guitar here is my own and just a bit fun/ good thing to do.

Ragh/ Grant makes custom stuff in all shapes and sizes and is currently developing his own 'Sonny' guitar range too. Anyhow, this one here was a bit of fun based on the famous George Harrison rosewood Fender Tele he used later on in the Beatles.

This one is NOT a replica nor trying to be anything other than a a good guitar inspired by one of my hero's more famous and well known guitars. Inspired by is maybe a better term!

Some pics and clips here, nothing majorly flash just fone pics and a quick home demo:

The guitar is a mix of old pine, mahogany and panga panga made to classic 60s specs (approx). I did the harness and final build/ setup with Grant doing all the woodworking and paint. Pickups are classic 60s made by Amdusias Devices in Belfast.

Guitar plays great and has been a fab (pun intended!) project and ultimately guitar to be involved in.

Thanks for taking a look.

Cheers 
Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Looks brilliant Hugh. (And you're looking pretty trim yourself these days.)
    Really want to hear it but the clips don't link properly, just to the images.
    ....maybe you're just teasing us?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Ah balls! My apologies there. Hope these work:

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

Basher said:
    Looks brilliant Hugh. (And you're looking pretty trim yourself these days.)
    Really want to hear it but the clips don't link properly, just to the images.
    ....maybe you're just teasing us?
    p.s many thanks as well!

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Fantastic! Really smooth and yet clear. There's an evenness between the positions that I don't often hear on a Tele. (Some seem to do "ice-pick>nice>muffled-mess" on the three way.)

Not sure how much of the sound of this one is down to the wood used or the amp. Either way, it sounds wonderful.

PS: Lord alone knows what "panga panga" is but it seems to work, whatever it's doing.
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    I follow ragh guitar on instagram - love his quirky videos and the guitars look incredible. Been following him since he stared his journey so It's been great to see him grow and grow. Saw this guitar being built. It looks great and your playing is insane as always. 
    edited July 2017
    @Basher @wackojacko ;;

Thanks kindly chaps, huge thanks. I'm still dialling in the pickups a bit in terms of height/ balance but I rate them highly. Think this guitar quite good for me as predominantly a Gibson player as it works well at those sorts of tones of driven a bit.

The amp is my '76 2100 Marshall Lead Bass combo. There's some echo obviously and just ruff fone clip sound etc. The guitar isn't aged at all but can't help think it'll be a bit special with 40 years on it!

Grant is as mad as a bag full of monkeys on mescaline but a very good egg. He's doing his thing and it's maybe not for everyone but isn't following the generic almost template styles of certain others. We are blessed with some great luthiers in this country.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• YasawasYasawas Frets: 27
    Lovely stuff! I had absolutely no idea there was a guy just round the corner making instruments, let alone that they'd be as good and affordable as they seem.
    Good stuff, I'm sure he'd appreciate a visit if you had the time. There's always a guitar or 7 on the go to demo out.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5059
    Nice axe Hugh, I've been watching its progress on the other fb. Bet it doesn't weigh nearly as much as the Jap one I had back in the day! Cool widdling too, as per.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Thanks kindly @fretfinder ;

It's pretty light actually this one. Obviously as no actual rosewood used in the build then there's a good reason. I know the real Rosewood Teles weighed down cruise liners pretty effectively. Not weighed the Georgyboy but thinking under 7.5lbs, probably low 7s. 

Thanks again
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• Very nice that Hugh.
    Something  a bit different and great tasty playing  ;)
    @marktheharp ;

Many thanks. Yeah, it's a Tele but just a wee bit different. Always wanted one but not so much the heavy weight and prices of the 'originals' or even the Far Eastern ones. Will get a real one one day hopefully though :)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited July 2017
    Looks great, sounds damn good too.

Also liking the Krishna sticker (see Eric's 335). I spoke to George once, he was lovely. I'd rock one of those in his memory... 

Edit: just noticed the birth date hidden in the serial number. Nice touch 
    @KKJale ;

Thanks man, appreciated. I found a place that did the repro HK stamp (thanks @Kylef) and a place that did the custom plates. I'm really enjoying this guitar, it works for me as it's quite Gibsony but does do the thinner trad Tele stuff too. Have added a couple more vids over at my Instagram as well if your ears can handle it. 

Would have loved to say hello to the great man but not to be. Glad you did.

Thanks again
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• shugz said:

Cheers
    Hugh
  • Great stuff Hugh!!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    shugz said:

Cheers
    Hugh
    Nice clips.

Oh, and you appear to wearing your hat indoors...........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Nice! Always liked Georges guitar look, you can't go wrong with a Tele!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6145
    axisus said:
    .... you can't go wrong with a Tele!
    And never was a truer word spoken!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    My house, my hat, my guitar, my rules :)

Have you got that....? ;)

Many thanks chaps, still love this guitar even if it and the others not getting much use just now.

Cheers
    Hugh 

www.proudhoney.com