Squier replacing pickups

aord43aord43 Frets: 287
I have a 20-year old Squier Strat with HSS pickups. Bought when I knew nothing about them.  I have never been particularly fond of the bridge humbucker and now in my quest for tone (in lieu of improving my playing, :) ) I am looking at replacing the electronics and pickups.  I want to change the pickguard and replace the lot with a set of single-coils.
Seymore Duncans are nice and all, but a little expensive.  And I am probably not good enough to tell the difference anyway!  What do people think of Tonerider?  Looking for a clapton-type bluesy tone, I was thinking of the TRS-4, available on Amazon for 75 quid for a set.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2017
    Tonerider and iron gear are both good choices in budget but bloody good pickups

If you're spending more than that I'd go oil city ,mojo or Alegree
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    There's a huge difference between ceramic squier pickups and alnico rod ones. You'll certainly notice a significant difference.

With the exchange rate where it is, there's really no logical reason to go US at the moment. You can buy a set of my pickups which are handwound with a lifetime warranty and 30 day swaps for the same price, for instance.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    edited July 2017
    Alegree said:
    There's a huge difference between ceramic squier pickups and alnico rod ones. You'll certainly notice a significant difference.

With the exchange rate where it is, there's really no logical reason to go US at the moment. You can buy a set of my pickups which are handwound with a lifetime warranty and 30 day swaps for the same price, for instance.
    When I get round to buying (may not be for a month or so) I will check yours too, thanks! (checking now too, of course :) )