Friedman Runt users talk to me :)

What's Hot
After sending my faulty Marshall 2525 head back I'm looking for a similar head though I still found the Marshall too bright and a little harsh 

I fancy a Runt head though I would have preferred EL34's the 50 watt version is still too big and loud for home use and over budget so looking at the EL84 20 watt version. It's double what I paid for the Marshall but looks to be worth it 

What's it like for bottom end punch?

The clean sounds great and the OD channels appears to be very versatile 

Any long term users care to chip in?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The silence is deafening lol 
  • Hiya,

I'm a Run 20 user - it's got a 3 band EQ on it, a wonderful clean channel, two modes of gain (more/less) and separate master volumes. It also has a built-in load box and so half the time I simply run the XLR from my audio input into the back of the amp and go at it - excellent for getting real power tube distortion while using headphones.

It's plenty loud - and sounds outrageously good at slightly-too-loud-to-talk-over volumes and above, but can get a really really nice sound lower than that.

Honestly it destroys any other amp I've ever played through in tone, as long as you're quite sure that you want that "Marshall of your Dreams". Can go from early Thrash to Zepplin. It CANNOT do high-gain natively (unless you run a distortion pedal into the clean channel).

In my mind it was a toss up between this and a Mesa MkV:25 and realistically I think it's a 50/50 split, but the Mesa and cab was a bridge too far, for options I wasn't sure I was going to use.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I found it lacking when compared to the 2525. To me the Friedman was a little buzzy and just didn't hit with the same authority as the Marshall. I don't really find the Marshall bright though! 
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Can't talk about the Runt too much (although I have played one) but I have the Pink Taco it's based off and that has way more balls than most Marshalls and certainly the 2525. Kicks me in the nuts through the little Friedman 1x12 and through my 2x12 it's truly monsterous. 
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    If you can spend a bit more buy a small box or a dirty Shirley.  The runt didn't do anything for me and I love Friedman's!
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I had the 50w head and while there was nothing bad about it, it never really felt like a Friedman.

I much prefer my Dirty Shirley.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the input guys. I'm a little surprised as I was expecting rave reviews

I'd rather the 20w Shirley and use a good boost and volume control on guitar to add flexibility.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Adamski said:
    Can't talk about the Runt too much (although I have played one) but I have the Pink Taco it's based off and that has way more balls than most Marshalls and certainly the 2525. Kicks me in the nuts through the little Friedman 1x12 and through my 2x12 it's truly monsterous. 
    I liked the PT but I still preferred the 2525. The Friedman still had that small amp sound, that I can only associate to the EL84s. Both the PT &Runt both seem to really lose it at volume, I couldn't get either of them to stay together at half volume, even with a boost out front. The 2525 remains golden throughout its whole volume taper and although I think the PT sounds better at really low volumes, the 2525 just hits harder and louder. 

I really liked the Dirty Shirley though, it's voicing seems to work better with the el84s, it's just looser and a bit more ballsy than both the PT & Runt.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a look at the DS Mini and though it's more expensive I think it may actually do what I want better than the Runt or PT

As with the Marshall im only looking for harder blues tones and classic rock tones as I have my Engl Ironball for tight metal and my Carvin legacy for Lead

On the 2525 I never used the lead channel as I found it stiff and harsh with no feel to it. I used the clean channel on 3 with the rhythm clip pulled out and then boosted with my Magik Box Doug Aldrich pedal for something harder and that sounds great
    I'd be pretty confident you could get the 20w Shirley for £1300.

It's probably worth the extra £150.