What is your favourite non-Marty Friedman and non-Chris Poland Megadeth album?

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
I'd have to go for Dystopia.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited July 2017
    So Far, So good, So What, though I definitely enjoy Dystopia
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154

That's a bloody good question.  I have thought about it and I don't really like any of the albums without Marty Friedman or Chris Poland.

I was going to say The System Has Failed, then I remembered it actually is Poland...

So Far, So Good... So What! is poor but that's probably down to Mustaine's state of mind at the time, not Jeff Young's fault.  The World Needs A Hero is pretty weak, Pitrelli sounds like a session guy not a band member.  I really disliked the whole Chris Broderick period and as a result of that I just haven't been able to motivate myself to listen to Dystopia even though the reviews were OK.

So by default I'll say United Abominations, although I haven't really listened to it much.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    On second thoughts, can I cheat and say The Craving by MD.45?  That's a great album (the original version, I mean).
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Philly_Q said:

That's a bloody good question.  I have thought about it and I don't really like any of the albums without Marty Friedman or Chris Poland.

I was going to say The System Has Failed, then I remembered it actually is Poland...

So Far, So Good... So What! is poor but that's probably down to Mustaine's state of mind at the time, not Jeff Young's fault.  The World Needs A Hero is pretty weak, Pitrelli sounds like a session guy not a band member.  I really disliked the whole Chris Broderick period and as a result of that I just haven't been able to motivate myself to listen to Dystopia even though the reviews were OK.

So by default I'll say United Abominations, although I haven't really listened to it much.

I can't stand the Chris Broderick era, his playing is too samey for me, technically good, but boring.  It's like his phrasing lacks rhythmic variety, loads of cleanly played 16th notes.  It sounds like midi at times.  

You should check out Dystopia, Kiko is a great player and has left Angra to concentrate on Megadeth.  How long he'll last in Megadeth I don't know, but I guess he could go back to Angra.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    So Far So Good - even though its thr weakest of the best era of Megadeth albums (the first 4) its got some killer tracks on it - Hook in Mouth, In My Darkest Hour, 502. Just skp the Sex Pistols cover and youre golden.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    The World Needs A Hero by a mile. Al Pitrelli's playing is massively underrated. Not a bad track on it!
    beed84 said:
    The World Needs A Hero by a mile. Al Pitrelli's playing is massively underrated. Not a bad track on it!
    Yeah, Al brought a kind of classic hard Rock shred vibe to Megadeth, plus he was nailing Marty's solos live.  
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    edited July 2017
    Dystopia is very good. And I agree with others that The World Needs a Hero is a great record.

But I think I'd have to say Endgame - it has some cracking songs and riffs on it. 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    The albums with Marty Friedman on them are my favourite, but I don't even really like them apart from the specific things Marty Friedman is playing. So this is quite a hard question for me to answer.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    So Far So Good - even though its thr weakest of the best era of Megadeth albums (the first 4) its got some killer tracks on it - Hook in Mouth, In My Darkest Hour, 502. Just skp the Sex Pistols cover and youre golden.
    This. 

Add in Liar and Mary Jane, and there's some of my favourite 'Deth songs right there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Not a fan of megadeth but fuck me is Chris Broderick a beast or what? Totally shed on classical and electric!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Not a fan of megadeth but fuck me is Chris Broderick a beast or what? Totally shed on classical and electric!
    Yeah 's good man.  
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24662
    RobDavies said:
    This. 

Add in Liar and Mary Jane, and there's some of my favourite 'Deth songs right there. 
    Yup.

I really liked Jeff Young's work. His solo in Darkest hour was superb.