Microphonic Mesa Tremoverb

JD50JD50 Frets: 659
so my amp is making an awful whine..... it's been like this since I bought a couple months ago but only just got round to playing the pre amp valve swap game until today.

put a new valve in V1 a Brand new premium selected and have been sawaping out the other 5 position one by one but no dice.

The whining noise is kind of tolerable in the clean setting and as I go through vintage gain / blues/ modern high gain it gets worse. 

Makes no no difference whether reverb is on or off.

The whine is briefly magnified when I switch the amp off.

I am taking it in for service in September after my hols but if any of you good folk have any suggestion meanwhile?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Is it affected by the controls at all? If so, which ones?

Does it still do it if the rectifier is set to Diode (solid state)?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    Been through all controls and switched between bold/spongy and no difference.

Tap tested all the valves incl power/rectifier and no unexpected noise. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Curious… none of the controls affecting it would seem to indicate a power stage issue, but if it gets worse as you go through the gain modes then it sounds more like the preamp.

I wonder if it's something like a filtering failure in the LT power supply which is then being amplified through the LDR switches? Random guess!

Definitely one for the experienced tech if it's not a valve, anyway - these are not easy amps to troubleshoot, as you'll probably know if you've ever looked inside it. Unfortunately I don't have mine any more, or I could try testing some things.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    ICBM said:
    Curious… none of the controls affecting it would seem to indicate a power stage issue, but if it gets worse as you go through the gain modes then it sounds more like the preamp.

I wonder if it's something like a filtering failure in the LT power supply which is then being amplified through the LDR switches? Random guess!

Definitely one for the experienced tech if it's not a valve, anyway - these are not easy amps to troubleshoot, as you'll probably know if you've ever looked inside it. Unfortunately I don't have mine any more, or I could try testing some things.
    No worries thanks for your help. It's going in for a service in a month so hopefully an easy/not too expensive fix.
    Am taking it to John Kelly who has a good rep and decades of experience so he should be able to find the fault.

Thanks again!
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Would be interested to hear what your tech finds on this one, the ones I have repaired in the past have all had problems with the LDRs, (which are effectively optocouplers), causing channel fade and similar symptoms. But as stated by IC, they are difficult to work on, so I hope it is a cheap / easy fix, but wouldn't Bank on it  :s