greasebucket/ no load

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967

I'm not a big Fender user guy so.....perhaps you can help...

The NO LOAD tone circuit as I understand kicked in when guitar pot was full up on 10 ,below that and the circuit was as normal

1 through to 9 = normal

and 10 = the no load circuit thingy kicks in

is it the same deal with the GREASEBUCKET circuit....full on 10 makes some sort of difference or is the GREASEBUCKET circuit in operation through the full travel of the pot?   sort of a thing......

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14448
    The Greasebucket idea adds a resistor and a second capacitor.

The theory is that this prevents the drop in overall output that a subtractive high frequency roll off control normally introduces.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967
    Is it always in play/on Funky?
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Different. The Greasebucket is a rather overcomplicated system which very slightly reduces the effective cap value at the same time as you turn the pot down, and has a resistor to stop it going fully to zero.

What I don't understand with all these schemes is this…

All the most desirable vintage instruments have perfectly normal simple pot & cap tone controls, and they sound pretty good by all accounts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14448
    hootsmon said:
    Nope. The wee bump in the base of the No-Load pot chassis physically disconnects the wiper from the resistance track. This amounts to a bypass.

ICBM said:

All the most desirable vintage instruments have perfectly normal simple pot & cap tone controls, and they sound pretty good by all accounts.
    Same goes for some recent premium Fender products. In my opinion, the No-Load tone control on the Brown's Canyon / OGRW Telecaster passes too much screechy top end. Changed to a regular CTS A250k and the guitar became usable.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967
    hootsmon said:
    Nope. The wee bump in the base of the No-Load pot chassis physically disconnects the wiper from the resistance track. This amounts to a bypass.

ICBM said:

Same goes for some recent premium Fender products. In my opinion, the No-Load tone control on the Brown's Canyon / OGRW Telecaster passes too much screechy top end. Changed to a regular CTS A250k and the guitar became usable.

Bypass in the no load but not the GB?
    tae be or not tae be
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited July 2017
    I realise its not exactly the same thing, but my 2010 Strat has Delta Tone which has a no load tone on the bridge and middle pickups, and the 'system' includes a slightly hotter bridge pickup. The ability to tame the bridge pickup is very cool and it makes this Strat even more versatile. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom