Why do people leave everything to the last minute?

What's Hot
MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
Well... me too...

Third year (this year) of my degree is an Industrial Placement year - now I'm partially to blame because I um'd and er'd because the plagiarism nonsense early in the year (requirements for all the roles are "predicted a first" and I had a zero until it was sorted out) - but the companies that I'm applying to are still at the pre-interview stage (except one). So I occasionally get an email asking for further information.

The only one place that is post-interview is the lab I've been working part time for - they interviewed me last week, then gave me the job (The lab post is my back-up so I'd have a Placement rather than not, as it's ostensibly general IT work, the other vacancies are security or forensics posts), and they left things late enough that the start date is next week.

So, while I have a job for a year I'm also a bit fudged - I start with my old boss as my new boss in a few days - a boss that I want to be my part-time boss again for the final year so I'm not totally poverty stricken like my first year... and there might come a time in the next few weeks where a position that is specific to my degree becomes available... 

If these companies got back to me weeks ago I could have made a decision before starting somewhere that leaving might risk the burning of a bridge

Actually I'm double fudged - I'd budgeted for travel and food based on being at work 6 days between now and pay day now it's 10 days at work... and I don't have the funds left for two weekly season tickets... again with a month or two's notice I'd have been able to set aside money better. But a week and a half was all the notice I had and I only really thought about budget issues last night

Erg!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    I'll reply later.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Gassage said:
    I'll reply later.
    Have a lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I don't care about your life.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    There are, in the words of the late Douglas Adams, three reasons.
    1. Ignorance.
    2. Stupidity.
    3. Nothing else.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Sorry that you've been messed around; it's possibly due to poor planning, slow budget approval process, laziness, incompetence....none of which help you. I suspect the company management pride themselves on their agile ability
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Drew_TNBD said:
    My feelings! They bleed!

Ow!

Psst... wanna fund me? https://www.gofundme.com/send-myranda-to-work ;

LOL
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    Putting off something until the last possible minute is worthwhile, on the offchance that the Earth will be destroyed by a giant asteroid/alien invasion in the mean time and you won't have to do it at all.

That's typical human logic, anyway.

Kind of like the idea that if you voluntarily give some money to a government lottery agency, there's about the same chance of winning enough to never have to do anything you don't want to again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    You seem like a very nice person from your posts but I think the go and fund me thing is quite awful.You are letting yourself down .Don't resort to this horrible medium.
    There are many very deserving causes in the world and some truly sad stories involving illness etc but this cheeky faceless digital begging bowl is just a chancer's charter.
    We are all beset by financial realities and need to think out of the box to overcome them .......this is not the way.
    Having said that it isn't easy but this medium is truly horrible.......even a homeless vagrant has to rough it out on the streets to get a bit of charity ...........this really is the lazy man's / woman's begging option.
    You are better than that ...........don't let the fact that many have seized upon it make it feel ok - I THINK IT WAS CONCEIVED FOR SEED CAPITAL FOR INNOVATIVE IDEAS BUT HAS BEEN PERVERTED.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Myranda said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    My feelings! They bleed!

Ow!

Psst... wanna fund me? https://www.gofundme.com/send-myranda-to-work ;

LOL
    Post a pic of your face holding today's newspaper next to it and I'll throw you some pennies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Am I too late to post to this?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    Zarquon!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited July 2017
    I started reading your post and got confused. But here's my general advice for life logistics: get organised, plan ahead, prioritise and then get it done, never leave anything to the last minute unless there's a good reason to. The challenge is when others don't operate the same way and cause conflict with your priorities, then you need to harry them and negotiate.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Where's Emp when you need him?

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24349
    Sorry... I was contemplating a suitable response to Mr Community Spirit earlier.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I used to procrastinate a lot, especially when I was a teenager.
    Something happened to me In my 20's, not exactly sure why or how but I just decided that I wanted to be more organised, so I became more organised.

So now I set reminders for things, anything from appointments to things I know I need to do in the future, to how I practice music,  to family/friends birthdays- I had a palm pilot until smartphones were a thing, now I just use my phone.
    Things get done early or on time, never late.
    It becomes a habit and you get good at it.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24349
    Come on peeps....  We raised a load for Alnico in his hour of need, Myranda's only after £250 to make the difference to her career.  If everyone chucked in the price of a sandwich, she'd be sorted in no time.   Or covered in sandwiches.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I have always been the king of last minute. I need a desperate deadline to get my ass in gear. Almost failed my honours degree - started my dissertation the day they wanted them handed in! This is no joke!!!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    My stepson is known by everyone as Last Minute Dan. Totally disorganised, hardly ever plans anything, lives fairly chaotically and drives his wife demented at times. He's always been the same according to my wife. Thing is, he gets away with it, I've never known such a lucky guy for things turning out ok every time, no matter how late he leaves things. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    My sister is the same.......but I have noticed that her life is fashioned around flexibility .......it's actually a methodology in it's own right permitting last minute swerves very often for the better .It appears dis-organised to the outsider but is actually a strategy .......a case of Method in the Madness .
     Your stepson @boogieman isn't lucky .....he's probably very sharp .Imagine the winnings if you never played your poker hand until you had seen every other person's cards ! ............aha !
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    octatonic said:
    I used to procrastinate a lot, especially when I was a teenager.
    Something happened to me In my 20's, not exactly sure why or how but I just decided that I wanted to be more organised, so I became more organised.

So now I set reminders for things, anything from appointments to things I know I need to do in the future, to how I practice music,  to family/friends birthdays- I had a palm pilot until smartphones were a thing, now I just use my phone.
    Things get done early or on time, never late.
    It becomes a habit and you get good at it.
    I used to procrastinate too, these days I can't be bothered. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.