rack mounting my fx pedals

What's Hot
James19931958James19931958 Frets: 98
should i rack mounting my fx pedals so that i can create some floor space? I also say this because i have 3-4 pedals that are on all of the time (except my boss ds 1 distortion which i only use rarely). The pedals that are on all the time are my ts9 and boss superoverdrive. the last pedal is the boss noise suprresor.  I'll only have my cry baby mini wah on the floor.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1594
    Have you got a rack already ? You can get 2U or 3U racks and drop in a tray for pedals answer PSU.
  • no, i havent got a rack yet, but im thinking about getting one so i can get more floor space
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Why bother with a rack?
    Why not just place your pedalboard on top of the amp?

Racks can be great but pedals in racks are almost always a pain- I can say this because I've had about a dozen racks over the years, some with pedals, some without.
    For a start, the slide out trays that pedals sit on are heavy, they usually double the weight of the rack.
    Also, pedals like to slide/fall off when you tip the rack sideways and lug it about.
    Then there is cabling/control brain issues- this doesn't affect you yet (but typically people expand into this once they start) but when using a loop switcher you end up using much more unbalanced cable as you would when connecting them serially, and then you still need something on the ground to control them.
    This takes time to manage and you end up tweaking in the control brain for each room you are playing in- it takes much longer than just reaching down to twiddle knobs or stomping on a pedal, rather than controlling switching.

I still have a rack rig (two actually, one for bass, one for guitar) but it is mostly studio based.
    Pedals are just easier to mess about with in a live situation.

I favour stripping down to the pedals you actually need, rather than taking the kitchen sink.
    YMMV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ok thank you very informative
  • @octatonic ive taken the handle off of my marshall DSL 5c and i have put my boss bcb pedalboard on top and it works, im still thinking about getting the jmp-1, but is it worth me getting a rack mount system (a 3u will be enough for me) for my fx pedasl?
    Only you can say.
  • ok i'll think i'll stck with what i've got for now. I'll need to do a bit more research,  thanks
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    edited July 2017
    Surely, the whole point of a pedalboard is that you can operate it with yo' feets whilst reserving yo' hands for playing the guitar. 

Placing individual effect pedals into a rack container only makes sense if you then get a remote foot controller to switch the individual pedals in and out of the signal path.

Can you see where this logic is leading?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    Weren't you selling your pedals in another thread?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited July 2017
    Have you considered a rack mounted FireWire audio and midi interface unit ? 

The multiple channels could be just what you what you are looking for.
  • the reason im saying this is because the pedals i have left, they are on all the time (i only use 3-4 pedals) which is the sound i like
    the reason im saying this is because the pedals i have left, they are on all the time (i only use 3-4 pedals) which is the sound i like
    You have four pedals all on at once...
    ok ones a reverb, ones a drive, maybe a chorus and a trem and your playing... country and western? 
  • no i have in order of signal path: cry baby mini wah (i rarely use) boss noise supressor - ibanez ts9 and the boss superovedrive.

PS: i play metal/rock
    no i have in order of signal path: cry baby mini wah (i rarely use) boss noise supressor - ibanez ts9 and the boss superovedrive.

PS: i play metal/rock
    You want your wah always on and on a rack away from the floor...how does that work (even if you are a metal player)?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    You need a Roland Pro series Drum sound module with Midi and hook everything up in sync. 
  • @Teyeplayer no, the wah is on the floor and atm, my pedals are on my pedalboard which is currently sitting on top of my amp. the only other thing that ive got on the floor other than the wah is my Digitech RP500
    I can only live where there is light, but I die if the light shines on me. What am I?
  • @octatonic???
    A donkey behind another donkey.
    I'm behind that second donkey.
    And whole nation is behind me.

What's this murder called ?
    @Teyeplayer no, the wah is on the floor and atm, my pedals are on my pedalboard which is currently sitting on top of my amp. the only other thing that ive got on the floor other than the wah is my Digitech RP500
    On the atm? Dude you do know that we have to report any illegal activity revealed on here? Card fraud is a serious crime.