SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Any Gibson 339's around?

What's Hot
In my ongoing search for a more vintage sounding guitar (with a detour to P-90's which has routinely turned up with the square root of "jack" and "S**t" in my budget range), I'm considering a semi-hollow. While I've found 335's to be a bit unwieldy large (especially since I mostly play sitting), I'm considering a 339.

Any around? Given the choice I'm looking for something with a chunkier neck and 57' classics, binding and ideally black!

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good shot, thanks!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    If you can't find a 339 the ES Les Paul might be worth a look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • variplexivariplexi Frets: 108
    I might be parting with my CS336. If of interest please PM. Not exactly the same as a 339 but if a smaller body is what you are after then certainly worth considering.
  • @crunchman ; I'm torn because I really like the R&R shape of the 335 and already have a stonking Les Paul - maybe a 339 would lean me too much towards what I've already got?

@variplexi I will be heading to GuitarGuitar on Wed and will attempt to compare and get back to you?
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Might be worth tracking down a Gibson Midtown.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    @crunchman ; I'm torn because I really like the R&R shape of the 335 and already have a stonking Les Paul - maybe a 339 would lean me too much towards what I've already got?

@variplexi I will be heading to GuitarGuitar on Wed and will attempt to compare and get back to you?
    I've had a 339 and now have an ES Les Paul.  To me the ES LP is more hollow sounding than the 339.  It's a different construction, and a bit more hollow than the 339. The 339 was actually closer in sound to my Les Paul than the ES LP.

The 339 I has was an early one with 57 Classics.  The MHS pickups in the ES LP are a definite improvement on the 57 Classics.

Whether it's construction or pickups I definitely prefer the ES LP.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    As @BluesyDave says ... get a Midtown! 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • I've heard the Midtowns are a bit of a strange beast- richlite boards, plastic inlays, and hollowed out bodies and very LP-like?

@crunchman thank you for the info, I've been thinking about an ES Les Paul (infact, knocked the guy selling that white one on Ebay/Reverb down to £1850) but I'm wary of getting two shades of beige. 

I think the only solution is to head to GuitarGuitar and check them out (they appear to have all three) and work backwards from there?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    "While I've found 335's to be a bit unwieldy large (especially since I mostly play sitting)"

This is a common complaint, especially when you're used to playing smaller guitars. It took me a while to adjust to mine, but I'm glad I stuck with it. It's one of those things that just needs a bit of time to adjust. These days, I find it more comfortable than my strat even, when sitting down.

I know this is shallow, but unless you're particularly 'petite', those 339's just don't look right to me. IMO 335's not only sound better, but look better too. The added bonus is that many more come up on the used market too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Lebarque  agreed and agreed (size, sound) - maybe I just do need to spend time with it. The big LGB-300 I had from Ibanez was quite thick and with sharp, square binding edges dinging into my underarm it was a bit naff. Any suggestions for posture/etc. ? 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    Lebarque said:
    "While I've found 335's to be a bit unwieldy large (especially since I mostly play sitting)"

This is a common complaint, especially when you're used to playing smaller guitars. It took me a while to adjust to mine, but I'm glad I stuck with it. It's one of those things that just needs a bit of time to adjust. These days, I find it more comfortable than my strat even, when sitting down.

I know this is shallow, but unless you're particularly 'petite', those 339's just don't look right to me. IMO 335's not only sound better, but look better too. The added bonus is that many more come up on the used market too.
    I'm over 6ft and have a 336 and 339 and think they look and sound great. 

There's also generally a weight advantage: my 336 weighs around 7lbs and the 339 is similar.  You can get 335s that weigh in at 7.5lbs or less, but they tend to be the pricier models.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Maybe I've just got tubby in my 30's! 
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    I've heard the Midtowns are a bit of a strange beast- richlite boards, plastic inlays, and hollowed out bodies and very LP-like?

I think its only the Custom that has the ritchlite f/b's, the others are rosewood.  The P90 eqipped versions appealed the most (to me).

No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116
    edited July 2017
    If you're after something more vintage sounding, Peach Guitars have some NOS 2013 Gibson ES-390s on a good deal at the moment. Just bought one myself, as I already have a 335 and a Les Paul, and it compliments them rather than competes with them. They're fully hollow and have mini-humbuckers, so different to the ES-339, whilst still having the smaller body size.

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/gibson-es-390-plain-ebony.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl9_55uSm1QIVBb7tCh0t-ARUEAQYASABEgLFVvD_BwE

• Thanks guys, that's really nice - I'm digging into the research around semi-hollows, to see which is goign to fit my needs. I was hoping to get down to GuitarGuitar to A/B some but no luck so far