Recommend me a new car!

What's Hot

Comments

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    BRISTOL86 said:

DanR said:
    I had a look and I'm not showing any Octavia DSG in stock.

I can get Seat or a VW aswell.
    I'm going to need some explanation @DanR (I'm guessing you're a car dealer) :) 
    Aye I work for Skoda but we have VW and Seat in group.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    BRISTOL86 said:
    octatonic said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Roland said:
    If you can stand the attitude of some forum users then you could become a BMW 3 series driver. Autotrader will show you prices and mileages well within your budget. Recent models have integration with your phone for music, podcasts etc.
    3 series is literally my dream car. Wanted one for as long as I've been driving. 

Trouble is after a fiesta and a focus, I think the servicing/maintenance and insurance costs would be a bit of a shock to the system?
    I've had three 3 series now and now we have a 1 series and a 4 series.

The 1 series is more fun for the same money because you can get a bigger motor for the same cash.
    The interiors are great in the 1 series and they are easier to park.
    I can fit a hell of a lot more in my M135i than I could in any of the 3 series.

You might be surprised on insurance- I pay £350 for the M135i which is classed as a performance car- this is fully comp, albeit with 9 years NCD.
    Servicing is more expensive but the service intervals are 18,000 miles for my M135i. A service is about £350.
    Thanks that's helpful. I have 6 or 7 years NCD I think so hopefully the insurance wouldn't be too bad. That servicing cost isn't bad at all, especially as it'll take me 2 years to do 18k....
    No worries happy to help.
    I don't think I'd have another 3 series- they are fine cars but they don't do anything better than a 1 series for me.
    We might go for an X3 or X5 next time and Mrs Oct loves having a convertible so the 4 series suits her.

• guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    edited July 2017
    Had our BMW 325 serviced through a trusted independent garage and it was only more expensive 'cos it needed six plugs instead of the usual four. 

Insurance was also cheaper than our current Zafira... 

Oh, and wait to you see the price of servicing a 4wd Audi
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    DanR said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

DanR said:
    I had a look and I'm not showing any Octavia DSG in stock.

I can get Seat or a VW aswell.
    I'm going to need some explanation @DanR (I'm guessing you're a car dealer) :) 
    Aye I work for Skoda but we have VW and Seat in group.
    Ah ok thanks! If you come across anything interesting do let me know :) 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    BRISTOL86 said:
    DanR said:
    Petrol or Diesel.

I'm assuming no px.
    I'm not actually that bothered (should I be?) 

I only do around 10k a year
    In your shoes I'd be looking at leasing. I tend to mention it a lot on here but if you get the right deal the figures do add up -beating the depreciation on new cars and taking away uncertainty about repairs outside warranty on older cars.

You can get great 10k focus deals at the moment...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7487
    edited July 2017
    octatonic said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    octatonic said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Roland said:
    If you can stand the attitude of some forum users then you could become a BMW 3 series driver. Autotrader will show you prices and mileages well within your budget. Recent models have integration with your phone for music, podcasts etc.
    3 series is literally my dream car. Wanted one for as long as I've been driving. 

Trouble is after a fiesta and a focus, I think the servicing/maintenance and insurance costs would be a bit of a shock to the system?

The 1 series is more fun for the same money because you can get a bigger motor for the same cash.

You might be surprised on insurance- I pay £350 for the M135i which is classed as a performance car- this is fully comp, albeit with 9 years NCD.
    Servicing is more expensive but the service intervals are 18,000 miles for my M135i. A service is about £350.
    Thanks that's helpful. I have 6 or 7 years NCD I think so hopefully the insurance wouldn't be too bad. That servicing cost isn't bad at all, especially as it'll take me 2 years to do 18k....
    I don't think I'd have another 3 series- they are fine cars but they don't do anything better than a 1 series for me.
    We might go for an X3 or X5 next time and Mrs Oct loves having a convertible so the 4 series suits her.

My mate didn't much rate his 3 series. 

He reckons it's almost too good - just a boring car, and very common too. He traded it in for a 1 series, then an old old 7 series (worth about 500 quid, but a beautiful car and incredible to drive, despite the 240k miles!) and now he's on a z4. 

His favourite is the z4 but he really rated the 1 series. 

Edit: grammar fail. Still a bit of a fail 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    octatonic said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    octatonic said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Roland said:

He reckons it's almost too good - just a boring car, and very common too. He traded it in for a 1 series, then an old old 7 series (worth about 500 quid, but a beautiful car and incredible to drive, despite the 240k miles!) and now he's on a z4. 

The 1 series is a bit of a genius design.
    A light nippy RWD hatchback.
    It is so chuckable, especially the M135i with 325 HP, although you have to be careful with it as rear traction can go at weird moments.
    I wish it had a limited slip diff- it would be perfect then.
    octatonic said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    octatonic said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Roland said:

Did I mention I drive a Focus? :) 
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Mazda 3, current shape.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    you might be able to find a used fiat spider for close to your budget.
    probably not what you are looking for. the Unconnect system in fiats works well with the iPhone. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9692
    edited August 2017
    celentium said:
    Mazda 3, current shape.
    ^Very reliable. Also Honda Civic. Japanese cars appear to be very well engineered. Our last four cars have all been Toyota's and the reliability has been outstanding. However Toyota interiors can be a bit plasticy and the infotainment system is probably not up to the OP's requirements. My son's Civic is better in these areas.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    Unimog.

Or a Yeti. Yetis are ace.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2017
    HAL9000 said:
    celentium said:
    Mazda 3, current shape.
    ^Very reliable. Also Honda Civic. Japanese cars appear to be very well engineered. Our last four cars have all been Toyota's and the reliability has been outstanding. However Toyota interiors can be a bit plasticy and the infotainment system is probably not up to the OP's requirements. My son's Civic is better these areas.
    I drive a 54-plate Civic 1.6 and for what it is (a £1500, high-mile first car) I could not ask for more - it has been simply fantastic. I don't treat it particularly well but it's never given me any trouble, other than the occasional consumable.

From what I can tell, the just-replaced 2011-2016 Civic is not a great choice - hence why I didn't recommend it, despite being a general fan of Hondas. The 1.4 and 1.8 petrol engines are seriously outdated and lacking in both green credentials and poke. The diesels are apparently very good, but why would you want a diesel? There are definite positives to this model though - something Civics always score well on is interior space, packaging and quality. The boot is fucking massive, and the seating is really flexible. Worth considering if you're carrying a lot of gear.

The brand new Civic, on the other hand, looks fantastic. I sat in one in a showroom and thought it was great - that was a top-spec one with everything on it, but still. Great engines and gearboxes, lovely interior, huge boot, sleeker and better looking than the outgoing one as well. Another one that I had a look around was the HR-V, a small crossover which is maybe the same size as a Civic but slightly higher - I believe it's actually based on the Jazz platform though. That seemed like a pretty nice car too, and the boot is even bigger.

My mate has just bought a pretty fantastic Mazda 6 estate, and I believe he wouldn't hesitate to recommend the current 3 as well.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    You should really get ahead of the curve and get a car powered by a fuel-cell.

• Mazda's have clutch problems, no? Isn't there a law suit over this?

I like Honda but the headrest tilts forward at a super uncomfortable angle.
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    edited August 2017
    My 09 Mazda 2 has done 70,000 miles and never had a problem with the clutch.

Tyres, brake discs and pads, track rod ends and one shock absorber are the only parts that have needed replacing so far.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    Bucket said:

The diesels are apparently very good, but why would you want a diesel? 
    If you do a lot of miles, or tow...

The only reason to rule out diesels altogether is so you don't have to put up with all the hysterical doom-peddlers.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    Golf.

The answer to almost eveyer "which car..?" question is either an MX5 or some kind of Golf. In this case, it's clearly a Golf. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Golf.

The answer to almost eveyer "which car..?" question is either an MX5 or some kind of Golf. In this case, it's clearly a Golf. 
    The golf is the front running sensible option.

The 3 series is the front running slightly less sensible option, but I'm surprised at how reasonable the insurance etc is - not as bad as I thought it would be. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    I can certainly see the argument for a 3-series, but the latest ones are getting quite funny looking imo. And having spent a week in a rental car with 265 bhp (granted a Megane Cup, not a BMW) I'm really struggling to see the point in anything over 200 bhp. You're over the limit within 3 seconds of booting it which actually makes it quite a bit less fun for me - you can't enjoy pushing the car itself without losing your licence.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires