Marshall JVM50 head - any experience?

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
Toying with a JVM50 head and can...but have no experience of them and no time to go and play one before deciding whether to pull the trigger on one or not.

I have just got rid of a 2525 Mini Jubilee head and cab as I couldn't get on with it, couldn't get a rich tone from it. I'm us By a Rivera Knicklehead Tre combo as my main amp, and a Cornford Harlequin as my practice amp.

Would appreciate any feedback or experience with the JVM.

Cheers

Nik
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ellwood said:

Would appreciate any feedback or experience with the JVM.
    Well, I can't give away my JVM 410h (in sig) which astonishes me cos the JVM is a wonderful gigging amp.  Not exactly a bedroom amp though.  So your primary use is important.  I can't believe the 50 is significantly tamer than the 100W.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Not the head, but I recently tried the combo and was very surprised how full and chunky the sound was, for a modern Marshall. I actually liked it...

That said I absolutely detest the Harlequin, so we may not have anything like the same idea of what a rich tone is .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I can't imagine you not being able to get great tones out of a 2525. All the demos I've heard have been really good. Maybe you just don't like Marshalls?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I have the 410 head (for sale) and before that had the 100w jvm2  2x12 combo....basically it's the modern gain channel from the 4 channel version and a clean channel all of its own. Clean channel and it's dirt modes was quite good but the modern voices high gain channel wasn't to my taste...well green was nice but Amber and red were way too modern for my tastes....even though I liked the sound demo on YouTube from cranbourne mudic. The 4 channel head has a more classic  voiced gain channel with all the gain anyone could ever need and then way beyond but it's voice is more of a classic tone ie DSL ish....way more up my street. But still for me the DSL still beats it and so this the reason I'm flogging mine. I had to try one...itch needed scratching. The JVM 2 series have a quite scooped metal voicing ....on my 4 channel I max the kids and wind the gain back to taste.  

I don't know you're tastes but you could love it or hate it depending.....
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    I have a 410h that's not for sale!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited August 2017
    I had a 205 and 410 for a while, very convenient amps, lots of switching etc and using the alternative tone control settings suggested on the Marshall forums you can get them to sound pretty vintage.

I did just end up using the clean channel with pedals after a while which was a waste of 75% of the amp so sold it haha.

Just get a Friedman Pink Taco and be done with it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    photek said:
    I had a 205 and 410 for a while, very convenient amps, lots of switching etc and using the alternative tone control settings suggested on the Marshall forums you can get them to sound pretty vintage.

I did just end up using the clean channel with pedals after a while which was a waste of 75% of the amp so sold it haha.

Just get a Friedman Pink Taco and be done with it ;)
    Funnily enough I was looking at a Runt..Thanks everyone for the input. Think I will stick with the Rivera until I have time to try some options out...

Cheers!
  • -Ed--Ed- Frets: 28
    I've got a JVM 205 and really rate it. Very versatile, does modern, 80's and vintage-ish very well. I ended up plugging a JMP-1 Pre into it and using it as a power amp for a long while. The stock foot switch is decent and the midi works well.
    I've never gigged it and can confirm that the master volume on these amps is very, very well designed. It sounds great at low vol

If you want an amp that you can gig with and play at home, a JVM would be a great move

I've still got it but haven't played it for over a year as I've gone down the Kemper route.