Fuzz pedal recommendations

What's Hot
GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
Alright, so I went to PMT the other day, played some fuzzes and the one that most appealed to me was the Eric Johnson Fuzz Face.

However there are 3 major problems with it:
1) It's fucking massive  -  honestly, there are so few parts in it why couldn't it be made mini?
2) It's fucking expensive - £192 for a pedal with about 20 components in it (including pots and jacks) is ridiculous
3) It's fucking old fashioned - no LED, no 9V power input  - it's the 21st century FFS!!

Anyone got any recommendations for a cheaper alternative which addresses the above issues?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Anything that claims to be a Hendrix-style fuzz and is less than £100 is probably a silicon fuzz face or axis fuzz type.

You could build one of these or get it built
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    bbill335 said:
    Anything that claims to be a Hendrix-style fuzz and is less than £100 is probably a silicon fuzz face or axis fuzz type.

You could build one of these or get it built
    A Fuzzdog build is the last-resort for me, as I've already built one pedal this week and cba to build another!!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Turd Fuzz, no question.

I believe it addresses your three issues:

1) Compact and bijou size.
    2) It's a little bit pricey but it is the shit.
    3) "...a custom made Fly is added, that functions as a on/off indicator instead of a standard led indicator. The eyes of the fly light up when stepping on to the TURD Fuzz, and engaging the effect."

https://shop.drno-effects.com/product/turd/

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk/muff.html

I've said it before, but talk to @juansolo ... Boss sized, pretty, sound great. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 147
    edited August 2017
    I've just picked up an AnalogMan Sunface BC183, which is a Fuzzface with the same silicon chip as the Eric Johnson signature. Advantage is the far more practical shape, LED and can be run off power supply or battery. They're both true bypass and similarly priced.

Edit; of course it's hand made too, so the price is more justified than some of the alternatives. Having said that I waited til one came up cheaper second hand. I also imagine there's some good alternatives, but this was the closest in spec. I've got a few different fuzz pedals (Big Muff circuit variants, Fuzz Factory etc), but the silicon Fuzz Face circuit definitely has it's own 'thing'.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    If you want a fuzz face just build one. You can try different transistors etc The money some companies ask for them is ridiculous.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    My favourite fuzzface is the Band of Gypsys mini. I've tried Analogman Sun lions and tried different Dunlop fuzzface pedals and this one just works well. It seems to retain a little more high end than the others. 

That being said that Shanks pedal that Matt Schofield was using on TPS the other week sounded amazing. But then it should, £300 for a fuzzface?!?
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    I got one of these a while back and was really impressed, little pricey but 2 pedals in 1 justifies the price and it sounds huge!! Amazing handbuilt pedal from the very underated green carrot pedal company based in the UK
  • Fulltone 69 is great, can be had for around £100 
  • Probably not gonna be the one you need. But I want an atom fuzz

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Fulltone 69 is great, can be had for around £100 

Another great pedal in the same ballpark, I'd probably go for this if you can get one.

MrMusic said:

Great pedal and I love mine, but it's a Big Muff circuit so sounds and responds differently to the Eric Johnson style Fuzz Face. Still it's lot of fun and much better price than a lot of the other simpler fuzz circuits available.

JD50 said:
    If you want a fuzz face just build one. You can try different transistors etc The money some companies ask for them is ridiculous.

Fair point, fuzz face circuits are much simpler than other pedal circuits so if you're in to the idea of building your own then it's a great starting point and you'll save some cash. Personally I'm terrible at this kind of stuff and would rather spend the time practicing my chops and then just spend gig money on pedals, but full respect to those that do :)
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I've got Magnetic Effects Solar Bender in the classifieds ;)
    Spanner in t'works...   The only outlets left on my power supply are 18v.

Has that fucked me options wise?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    You could get a Hudson Broadcast though they're a bit more than £100, but much more versatile than a FF.

Or run your FF off a battery, like God intended.
    bbill335 said:
    You could get a Hudson Broadcast though they're a bit more than £100, but much more versatile than a FF.

Or run your FF off a battery, like God intended.
    If i wanted something I could only run from a battery, I wouldn't have started this thread - I'd rather not be in a situation at a gig where I need to disassemble a pedal to change the battery in it.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I could sell you a nice cheap led equipped, power compatible Carcosa fuzz or the tiny little ripper that is the Zvex fullolo cheap. In fact you could have both for much less than 1 EJ FF :)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3405
    Why buy one fuzz pedal when you can buy 6 at once?
    https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/muffuletta/

Still very expensive though.....

NelsonP said:
    Why buy one fuzz pedal when you can buy 6 at once?
    https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/muffuletta/

Still very expensive though.....

Not a fan of Muff style fuzz, i'd probably be less of a fan of 6 of them...
  • Can you not daisy chain from somewhere? Tuner pedal? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you