Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finished Pics! impmann's Alembic-esque Electric

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57 said:
    Looking fab Andy, I think I prefer without soundhole, but very nice...as usual! Yaaaawn!!
    Yes - soundholes are a bit marmite.  I love them but @impmann didn't want one and I know a lot of people don't like them them at all.  Interestingly, based on the depth of the chamber, @impmann 's is probably closer to a semi-acoustic than mine in spite of the lack of the f-hole ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Those both look superb - loving this thread!
  • Those both look superb - loving this thread!
  • Gorgeous as always! I actually quite like the look of that sound hole

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gorgeous as always! I actually quite like the look of that sound hole
    :)
  • Stunning work, Andy.
  • I think @Andyjr1515 one would be my choice too.

For some reason I'd be trying Rickenbacker pickups on it if it was my build -partly just for the hell of it but also because it kind of looks like it would lend itself to them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the encouraging feedback, folks :)

Onto that pesky bridge.  Much of what Schaller have provided here is not helpful - including some quite obscure router bit and drill sizes!  But what IS helpful is the clear template they provide:

You position it and then use a sharp point to pierce through to the wood for the drilling positions.  A drill press is essential for this task! 

I did the drilling and routing (except two where I don't have the right sized drill!) and added my extra routed slot to accommodate the piezo wires:

Call me picky, but it wouldn't hurt Schaller to add this to the instructions and the template, surely??

Anyway, my drilling and routing is clearly getting more accurate because to my great surprise, it fits!

The two holes I don't have the drill for are for the two fixing bolt ferrules.  I'll get hold of one from Axminster on my next order - it isn't going to hold anything up.  Anyway, you can see broadly how it's going to fit:

One thing I am grateful for - if I understand the Crimson Youtube feature correctly (which also doesn't mention the piezo version), Schaller have stopped supplying a back block and now supply individual ferrules at the back...WHICH ALL HAVE TO BE INDIVIDUALLY EARTHED!  Thank heavens for small mercies!

Anyway, the really exciting thing is that I can soon start the top carve :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676

One thing I am grateful for - if I understand the Crimson Youtube feature correctly (which also doesn't mention the piezo version), Schaller have stopped supplying a back block and now supply individual ferrules at the back...WHICH ALL HAVE TO BE INDIVIDUALLY EARTHED!  Thank heavens for small mercies!

It looks good so far

connecting the individual ferrules isn;t as hard as it sounds.    I have done it a few times on fanned fret builds with graphtech saddles.  I remember thinking it was going to be really difficult but it really wasn't

• WezV said:

It looks good so far

connecting the individual ferrules isn;t as hard as it sounds.    I have done it a few times on fanned fret builds with graphtech saddles.  I remember thinking it was going to be really difficult but it really wasn't

I'm sure you're right, @WezV .  I'm nevertheless grateful to be relieved of one more thing I would be fully capable of c*****g up ;)
  • And the carve starts...

It's my favourite bit and I have to curb my enthusiasm so I don't overdo anything.

I tidied up the outline a touch to be able to incorporate a couple of passing respectful nods to the Alembic style and then started to add some of the other features, such as the 'sucked lozenge' ( @impmann 's very descriptive phrase) cutaway.

Over the next day or so, @impmann and I will discuss exactly what curves want to be where :) 

The time when I've got to start radiusing that pesky fretboard draws closer!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    I deliberately found one with a fixing plate 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    That's my boy! ;)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited September 2017
    After bouncing off my thoughts with @impmann ; I'm probably going to scoop the upper waist a touch and then extend the lozenge to reflect the shape of the lower bout.  Something like this:

• RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    impmann said:
    That's my boy! ;)
    The plates aren't too difficult to make. I prefer them to ferrules.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I'll check with @impmann , but I think the rough carve is now there or thereabouts for me to go to the final filling and shaping of the body.

Imagine the holes filled and dark rather than open and light, but this is where the front currently is:

Here's the back:

And here's the player's viewpoint:

And here's the deranged fan getting uncomfortably close to the player 's viewpoint:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Oh mate that's looking incredible!!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    That is stunning. I love the way the player can see the edges of the fancy top when looking down. And as with all your through-body designs, the back looks as good as the front!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Wow!!!! 
  • impmann said:
    Oh mate that's looking incredible!!!
    :)  So far so good!  Customer still happy...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom