Google search is sometimes a very good thing indeed

fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
edited August 2017 in Off Topic
I've recently sold off my electric guitar and amp, and I've been procrastinating over which decent acoustic guitar to buy for £600 or so. Now I know why I've had so many "stupid & childish" sleepless nights - Google made it so.

I was searching for Simon & Patrick guitars, since I fancied either one of those or a Seagull, and I usually never go past page 2 of a Google search. It's taken this long to decide that I quite like smaller bodies, so I was looking at folk models in particular. During the search, I clicked on everything - random eBay trawler bots included.

I decided this time to start at page 10 of the search results and work backwards. Anyway, to cut a long story short, on page 3 I found a link to a site which looked borderline iffy, but the type of site a small shop may have. They have a summer sale at the moment, and lo and behold I found one of the guitars I had been after, priced £120 below anyone else's ex-display price, and well within my budget. They appear to actually exist, have a Facebook page with a photo of the shopfront etc., so I took the plunge.

Just goes to show it sometimes takes a bit of click-work to find something at a good price.

Although the guitar did just have a stock photo, so I'm waiting for the email informing me that there has been some sort of problem, or the guitar was sold 2 weeks ago, or the summer sale was from 2015. Fingers crossed.
Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
My feedback thread is here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 988
    Hope it works out.  Tried a couple of Simon & Patrick acoustics about 10 years ago (in SoundControl Tottenham Court Rd.) & I really liked them.  You don't really see them about much...are they made in Canada?

good luck!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Personally I'd have gone and looked at it if at all possible. I've done 200 mile round trips a couple of times to check out guitars. Some guitars that I liked and ticked all the boxes lacked mojo when in hand.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    My main acoustic for the last 17years has been a Simon&Patrick. I know they're not seen as being the same class as Martins and Taylor's etc, but after a setup I've not found another acoustic that plays and sounds as nice as mine (beaut in the eye of the beholder etc etc)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    axisus said:
    Personally I'd have gone and looked at it if at all possible. I've done 200 mile round trips a couple of times to check out guitars. Some guitars that I liked and ticked all the boxes lacked mojo when in hand.
    It's further away than that. Newport (Wales) to Maidstone is 183 miles one way! Anyway, assuming they have listed the guitar correctly and I'm getting what I think I am, my losses if I want to sell/trade should be manageable.

It's their all-mahogany folk guitar with slotted headstock. I was umming and ahhing about whether I really needed an all-solid acoustic guitar, but for under 500 quid I thought I'd give it a shot.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Well, it arrived in perfect nick and sounds ace. Not bad for £480.