Scratchplate for Squier Fender Strat

What's Hot
VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
Hi
My daughter has a Squier Fender Strat which she/I would like to change around a little.  One of the things she'd like is to change the scratchplate.  Having a quick look around, there seems to be lots of choices  both in terms of finish, quality and shape.

So my question is - what should I look for and is there a particular shape that would fit her guitar best?  The guitar in question is from about 2000 and is one of the strats that would have come as part of a kit (the serial number starts with CAE).

Be grateful for some pointers.  Ultimately I'll probably change the pick-ups and the pots too but thought I'd ask about the plate first.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Vinylfan said:
    Hi
    My daughter has a Squier Fender Strat which she/I would like to change around a little.  One of the things she'd like is to change the scratchplate.  Having a quick look around, there seems to be lots of choices  both in terms of finish, quality and shape.

So my question is - what should I look for and is there a particular shape that would fit her guitar best?  The guitar in question is from about 2000 and is one of the strats that would have come as part of a kit (the serial number starts with CAE).

Be grateful for some pointers.  Ultimately I'll probably change the pick-ups and the pots too but thought I'd ask about the plate first.

Cheers
    Squiers can be difficult for this as *sometimes* the screw holes on a Fender plate won't match up.
    The best solution is to find a place that will sell actual genuine Squier accessories and don't be fooled by what 'All parts' claim is correct. That lot don't know their arse from their elbow. All they care about is money in the till.

Alternatively, find someone that makes custom plates and send them yours as a template.

Either Scratch It or Jacks Instrument Services but this isn't the cheapest option, it is, however, the best and the most foolproof way of getting one that absolutely fits and to a large degree you get to choose what you have.
    Scratch it can't and won't do bevelled edges or countersunk holes but Jack's will do, however, Jack charges more.

Click those links for the websites.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    The number of screw holes is something to note.
    Also whether the pickup configuration is SSS (traditional 3x single coil), HSS (Humbucker + 2x single coil).
    That should filter out a lot of the wrong ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Thanks chaps - will take a look at the sites you mentioned and also count the number of screw holes!  I was looking on eBay and there are lots out there.  This one has the traditional SSS configuration and we'll probably keep it that way.

Ideally I'd want as straightforward a fit as possible.

Might put out a WTB as well.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    There are a few ebay sellers with a range of USA/Mex/Jap etc but not many specifically for Squiers. Some of them have templates which you can print off to check screw hole position and cutouts etc but it's still a bit of a gamble, and almost always requires firing up the Dremel (or at least a sanding block or small file). If screw holes don't align you could always drill new ones as they won't be seen, but the problem is when they're just a little off and they force the screw into the wood at an angle.

I got a Jaguar pickguard from this ebay seller, screw holes were 99% correct, some minor filing required around the bridge posts.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That feeling when you buy a scratch plate, and it's nearly, but just not quite right.. Worth paying the extra for a custom job, to avoid, imho..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    If it's the same size as normal US/Mex with a different screw pattern, i sell some without screw holes, for you to do yourself.
    Much cheaper than a custom job for sure.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

http://www.guitarselectric.co.uk/SCRATCH_PLATES/cat207304_175212.aspx I've bought a load of stuff off of these guys, they sell on eBay too under the same name. I like them, even cheap stuff I've got from them like repro knobs have been better than stuff I've got elsewhere. They'll send you a template that you can print off to get an idea if it will fit but they often need a wee bit of fettling - even Fender pickguards on Fender guitars!

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    As others have said, screw holes can be an issue.  It's not just Squiers.  Fender Mexico can be different from Fender US.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14560
    On some Chinese-made Squier Affinity STRAT models and the Y serial number examples, the single-ply white scratchplate is slightly elongated in the corner nearest the output jack. So is the control cavity rout beneath.

The upshots of this are:
    1) A regular pickguard may leave the original screw hole exposed.
    2) The screw for the equivalent position on the replacement/upgrade pickguard may have nothing into which to bite. (Only fresh air!)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited August 2017
    Really useful chaps, thanks.  I will do some exploring...

Just looking at the guitar now and it has a 3 ply plate at the moment (looks like 2 white layers and a black layer - presume that is what is meant by 3 ply?) and 11 screw holes so at least I'm narrowing it down!
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Vinylfan said:

Just looking at the guitar now and it has a 3 ply plate at the moment (looks like 2 white layers and a black layer - presume that is what is meant by 3 ply?) and 11 screw holes so at least I'm narrowing it down!
    To about 90% of the pickguards on the market unfortunately!
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alegree said:
    Vinylfan said:

To about 90% of the pickguards on the market unfortunately!
    Fair point!