Mountain bikes... advice please!

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4820
    That would be a killer to commute on with them fat tyres on it!! Still you'd get fitter more quickly I suppose!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Get a used Boardman Team 29er.

Rockshox Recon fork with thru axle,  excellent SRAM GX 1x gearing and you can pick them up for about £450

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    As above though, commuting on an MTB is not going to be fun unless it's a very short journey
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    strtdv said:
    As above though, commuting on an MTB is not going to be fun unless it's a very short journey
    I didn't find it that bad on my 29er, but....... only with gravel or summer dry tyres, any seriously knobbly stuff and it rapidly gets soul destroying! It did improve my fitness for the road bike though ;)

That's actually a really good spec for the money that's for sure, not sure he can throw his leg over it for a whirl though? You live anywhere near Rutland Water op? I'd take that or the Voodoo for sure as new options.

• Boromedic said:
    That would be a killer to commute on with them fat tyres on it!! Still you'd get fitter more quickly I suppose!

It was quicker than a giant 29er I tried, and rolled better - no front shock to absorb your efforts. 

But yeah, if you're commuting more than a few kilometres, just get a road bike or a cyclocross/tourer (choose which suits you best). It's astonishing how much easier it is to get around on a roadier bike, even when loaded down with panniers. 

But the pine mountain was significantly better (read: fun and also rolled well) than any similarly priced mtb with suspension. I did try a Pine Mountain 1 which had front shocks and that was pretty nice, but you're into quite a bit more cash by then... 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited August 2017
    Just to add, the boardman referenced by @strtdv above is a great spec if you actually do want suspension - proper fork, good gears (same as the marin), great bike for not many pounds. Probably the best deal you'll find spec wise if you want a mtb. 

I miss my old mtb :( it was fun rolling over everything. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Cheers guys. Commuting is out of the question as I'm a 50 minute drive from work, most of it motorway. So this would be for fitness and fun. 

I can always put semi's on to replace the knobblys for longer or easier journeys though, and with lock out suspension that should also make things more versatile. 

Im essex/east london way I'm afraid! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Voodoo gets my vote then, the Boardmans are great too but you're at the mercy of the used market and a genuine seller being honest. I'm not a fan of 1x gears btw but they might suit some. I find when I'm trail riding, climbing, or in between trails on a road I don't have enough range top and bottom. Some people love em like but they're not for me.

edited August 2017
    I tried an amazing bike the other week - if you are sure you want a mountain bike. 

Marin Pine Mountain plus. 

It's on offer in places for about £500 and has a sram 1x10, nobby nics, steel frame and is a blast to ride. I wanted a faster bike for roads and wound up with a touring bike that straddles a bit of everything, but if you want a fun mountain bike, you'll not find better me thinks. Brilliant thing. 

I tried some suspension models but I was advised that budget suspension under 700ish quid isn't up to much. I'm not an expert though. The marin was great fun though. 
    I love me some steel frame goodness like, and that is a lovely bike. I used to have an Orange P7 with rigid forks a long time ago and it was great fun too. I would miss front sus too much now I think to go back but it would be nice to give one a try. I've got a lovely Paul Donuhue steel road frame that I will be building up next year hopefully. Can't wait to get out and use that!

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Boromedic said:
    I tried an amazing bike the other week - if you are sure you want a mountain bike. 

Marin Pine Mountain plus. 

It's on offer in places for about £500 and has a sram 1x10, nobby nics, steel frame and is a blast to ride. I wanted a faster bike for roads and wound up with a touring bike that straddles a bit of everything, but if you want a fun mountain bike, you'll not find better me thinks. Brilliant thing. 

I tried some suspension models but I was advised that budget suspension under 700ish quid isn't up to much. I'm not an expert though. The marin was great fun though. 
    I love me some steel frame goodness like, and that is a lovely bike. I used to have an Orange P7 with rigid forks a long time ago and it was great fun too. I would miss front sus too much now I think to go back but it would be nice to give one a try [...]
    That happens to be my choice of steed. Great bike, although, like you, I wouldn't say no to suspension. Still, it's a very comfortable ride even without.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    Awwww mate, awesome bikes they are I wish I hadn't had to sell mine as I'd put a load of man hours into stripping it and refurbishing the gears etc. but I had no choice at the time. Mine was a 1995 one and I loved it, had Mavic rims and full Shimano. Looked ace once I stripped the chipped coating and polished it up.....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is something about big fat tyres I love. Just the ridiculous look is a part of the charm. The pine mountain isn't that huge but there are plenty of amazing fat bikes out there. 

I dare you. Stand out ;) there is a chap in Cambridge who rides a stocking great big fat bike while wearing a suit. Amazing. 
  • Another possible contender? From Evans, so you could maybe give it a try if you're near one.

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-trail-6-2017-mountain-bike-EV284083

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited August 2017
    I'd personally always go used with mtb, you get so much more for your money! It's such a rip off new. My bikes basically made up all from 2nd hand parts, still probably cost me under a grand but it's better than anything new you'd get for at least £1500 (or at least it was at the time I bought it all)!

Generally suspension is awful on cheap bikes - most of the time I'd rather have rigid forks than some half arsed suspension, at least they're predictable.

Mines a YT Wicked with Lyriks which I love, definitely worth checking them or Canyon out if you want to buy new.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2017
    Has anybody mentioned this one? http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/27-5-hardtail-bikes/vitus-nucleus-275-vr

£500 MBR Mountain Bike Of The Year award winner two years running, they said it even beats the £750 winner!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    What about this Calibre: 

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two-two-v2-mountain-bike-p383858

It it gets great reviews. I thought about getting one but wasn't sure if it would be a massive upgrade over the Carrera Vulcan I already have.

It probably would be - but I need to ride regularly before treating myself to a new bike rather than buying a new bike and hoping it kick starts something.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    edited August 2017
    The Vitus is a nice bike but the parts/spec aren't great in comparison to the Voodoo although the front fork is good, but it has Tektro brakes which are pretty shocking and more of a PIA to maintain than Shimano. He also can't throw a leg over it as they are Chain Reactions own brand I think. The Calibre's are great entry level bikes but, they are 26" wheels which I'd avoid if you're doing any sort of trail riding 27.5 or 29 all the way!

@Iamnobody

The gears and brakes on the Calibre would be an upgrade on your Carrera Vulcan but all in all you have a decent frame and fork there already and it's not worth changing. Ride it more and then when you feel ready or fancy a treat go the next level up and you'll notice a difference more than you would going between them. 

• Boromedic said:
    Awwww mate, awesome bikes they are I wish I hadn't had to sell mine as I'd put a load of man hours into stripping it and refurbishing the gears etc. but I had no choice at the time. Mine was a 1995 one and I loved it, had Mavic rims and full Shimano. Looked ace once I stripped the chipped coating and polished it up.....

That looks amazing. I nearly bought sporky's old clockwork, which was an ace looking bike but alas it was a teency bit too big for me. :(