Amazed no-one had come up with this before...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9702
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited August 2017
    Yes I saw that. It seems so obvious, if there's enough space for the increased volume. I once did my back in trying to move a washing machine.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    That's really smart, I hope it takes off. Washing machines are ridiculously unwieldy to move around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    It's really quite amazing how recently wheeled luggage was invented too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    It really is so simple. So simple no one thought of it.

I hope it takes off for obvious reasons 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I bought a secondhand washing machine years ago, and was surprised how light it was to move around. It always shook like fuck when it went into spin mode, though. When I took the top of it to change something a while later, I noticed the concrete block was missing, just the bolts left.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Saw this earlier today, I would have thought that you would need a vastly bigger space for the water to weigh the same as concrete. Maybe that's why it hasn't been thought of before, people didn't think it practical. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28505
    axisus said:
    Saw this earlier today, I would have thought that you would need a vastly bigger space for the water to weigh the same as concrete. 
    Concrete is 2.4 times the density of water, so it needs to be 2.4 times the size. There's usually a bit of spare space left inside the machine. I wonder if you could also take advantage of the "slop" by having a part-filled tank, or if that'd make it worse...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    I do hope they've considered what happens when it freezes.
    Seeing as the concrete is just there as a mass damper, there's loads of other solutions you could use but all of them would require cost in terms of design and materials.
    Would be nice to see a £3k Miele machine with active suspension :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    FX_Munkee said:
    Seeing as the concrete is just there as a mass damper, there's loads of other solutions you could use but all of them would require cost in terms of design and materials.
    "If" it freezes, surely?
    Either using a container with expansion space, or antifreeze should do the trick, I would have thought.
    It's not as if there is no other water in various pipes in the machine anyway.
    Active suspension lol :)
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    as long as they don't slowly leak out, a machine without the weight will rip the room apart once it gets going
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12388
    aord43 said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    "If" it freezes, surely?
    Either using a container with expansion space, or antifreeze should do the trick, I would have thought.
    Wouldn't it need some sort of additive in the water anyway to stop it eventually turning green and stinky? Antifreeze sounds a good idea. 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    aord43 said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    "If" it freezes, surely?
    Engineering hat says "when", there is no "if" :)
    The active suspension isn't that far fetched, you basically have a drum suspended on springs. The concrete is there to add inertia so that when it moves it does so relatively slowly. Just add some hydraulic dampers instead and if you're really flash some of those electro-magneticly modifiable ones :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    boogieman said:
    aord43 said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    "If" it freezes, surely?
    Wouldn't it need some sort of additive in the water anyway to stop it eventually turning green and stinky? Antifreeze sounds a good idea. 
    No you just fill the tank as part of the wash cycle and empty it as part of the spin cycle.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    FX_Munkee said:
    aord43 said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    "If" it freezes, surely?
    Engineering hat says "when", there is no "if" :)
    The active suspension isn't that far fetched, you basically have a drum suspended on springs. The concrete is there to add inertia so that when it moves it does so relatively slowly. Just add some hydraulic dampers instead and if you're really flash some of those electro-magneticly modifiable ones :)
    When do washing machines ever freeze? Maybe if kept in a outbuilding they can, but that will cause problems with a machine with a concrete block in it anyaway, not to mention the associated plumbing it's attached to. There's is warning in my washing machine's manual (I read it on a regular basis) to never let the machine freeze up.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    HAL9000 said:
    The cynic in my thinks that manufacturers would mak ethe tank out of a life limited plastic that will fatique and leak after a period of time, thus helping to ensure extra repair bills and need for a replacement machine.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited August 2017
    boogieman said:
    aord43 said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Would be nice to see a £3k Miele machine with active suspension
    "If" it freezes, surely?
    Active suspension lol
    No you just fill the tank as part of the wash cycle and empty it as part of the spin cycle.

Is the correct answer. Edit - however, I'm sure the Ecover shitey washing product lovers would point out that that is a waste of water.

What you could do, is empty and refill  the ballast after a set number of washes. My machine already reminds me to check the filter and run a clean cycle periodically so could easily do that.

• If you can use water, presumably you could also use sand ala the old swing ball bases you used to have in your garden? Sand is less likely to leak and doesn't change with temperature. I'm certainly not a scientist or engineer though. Just the ponderings of a guy who lived through the 80s...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    boogieman said:
    aord43 said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    "If" it freezes, surely?

Buckfast if you're north of the Border.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    Washing machines my arse, I make my missus wash our clothes in the river Ouse, and we bath in it too.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    as long as they don't slowly leak out, a machine without the weight will rip the room apart once it gets going

My old man was one of those assholes who never reads the manual.

He fitted a new machine himself, but never popped the top off to unscrew the locking bolts that keep the innards anchored solid during transit.

Mumsy complained for weeks about the machine vibrating, jumping for attention and making lots of noise during spin.

Eventually I opened it up myself and found one of the locking bolts (about 6mm or so diameter) had snapped anyway and the others were probably on the way!

It was quiet after that. (So was Dad...)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom