What is good about the PRS DGT?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    If I had the cash and need for another guitar I'd consider a silver sky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    PVO_Dave said:
    Given the recent Silver Sky threads, it’s good to see how many DGT owners we have on here - perhaps someone will buy a Silver Sky and have the bottle to do an NGD about it? :)
    Wish I had the spare cash for one. 

Given your affection for and knowledge of Strats, I’d like to read your opinion on one, if you could get to play one locally?
    I’d certainly like to try one - I’ve absolutely no intention of buying - nor have any spare money after buying the DGT.

The negativity towards them has really surprised me - not sure whether its because (wrongly) people think PRS guitars are expensive trinkets for people who can’t play, a dislike of Paul Smith’s public persona/Mayer, or something else.

I’m definitely not a fan of ‘perfected’ Strats - I’m a real Luddite where they’re concerned - but I reckon if you’re more open minded about these things than me, it’s probably a wonderful guitar.

I’ll definitely report back if I manage to play one.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
    Given the recent Silver Sky threads, it’s good to see how many DGT owners we have on here - perhaps someone will buy a Silver Sky and have the bottle to do an NGD about it? :)
    I don't think I want one but if I see one I'll definitely try it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited April 2018
    Tried one (silver sky)at the recent PRS event at Rich Tone, it was everything PRS and mayer say it is, I would definately get one in the future but possibly wait for the secondhand market where ALL the real PRS bargains are to be had.....

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited April 2018
    I really ought to go to one of these PRS evenings to see if they are actually setup properly, as most of the ones I’ve tried in shops have been average at best 
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Tried one (silver sky)at the recent PRS event at Rich Tone, it was everything PRS and mayer say it is, I would definately get one in the future but possibly wait for the secondhand market where ALL the real PRS bargains are to be had.....
    ....Or wait 6 months for the SE version!   ;)

[Pure speculation of course]
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    ....Or wait 6 months for the SE version!   ;)

[Pure speculation of course]
    I massivly doubt that will happen ever.....

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    I really ought to go to one of these PRS evenings to see if they are actually setup properly, as most of the ones I’ve tried in shops have been average at best 
    unusual to see a poor USA factory set-up - maybe the shop has played around with it, or indeed it has been played in store to long, hence it has become dog eared - Finer nuances of any set-up are a matter of taste, regarding string height/action and string gauge, but in a store it should at least be presentable in a middle ground type of way, to entice you in to buying
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    sweepy said:
    unusual to see a poor USA factory set-up - maybe the shop has played around with it, or indeed it has been played in store to long, hence it has become dog eared - Finer nuances of any set-up are a matter of taste, regarding string height/action and string gauge, but in a store it should at least be presentable in a middle ground type of way, to entice you in to buying
    Interesting point.

PRS used to ship guitars with 9-42s - now 10-46 seems to be the norm on most US guitars - the DGT has/had 11-49s, I believe.

The trend in the industry seems to be to set-up more for tone, rather than out-and-out playability these days. I assume this is based on the volume of sales of particular string gauges? Personally, I need 9s on a Strat and 10s on a PRS or a Gibson - anything heavier just doesn’t work with my geriatric fingers....