Ac15 help

wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
My vox has started making a noise like a combination of an envelope filter combined with a shitty distortion pedal, every time i play a note. its not cables, i run two amps and the other is fine. I have out put valves but no spare preamp valves any pointers. I use it pretty much every day and the only thing I've had to do is replace a fuse. HELP please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Change the output valves first if you have those. No biasing necessary on this amp.

If it's not that, swap the preamp valves round - if the problem changes in some way it will be one of them, in which case buy a spare and replace each in turn until the fault goes away.

If it's not that, is it a model with a rectifier valve? If so a spare of those isn't a bad thing to have either, even if it proves not to be the problem.

Also try it through another speaker cabinet, if you have one available - it doesn't sound particularly like a speaker problem but it's worth eliminating. Any impedance or power rating will do for a quick test, as long as you don't crank the amp up too far.

If none of that cures it you need a tech.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited August 2017
    valves swapped, no joy, loud hum developed, im guessing filter cap or something in power supply. id imagine its probably my fault as my little silvertone lives on top of it obscuring the vents. moron. off to tech as soon as i get chance.