Boring bike thread

What's Hot
This is my boring bike thread. 

My bike has front and rear reflectors. I'm going to be fitting front and rear SKS chromoplastics to it - can I remove these? 

I ask as, in the manual, it says don't as they're an integral part of the safety system and can stop brake cables catching on the wheels. 

I'm calling bull, but would like a more knowledgeable opinion. The rear chromoplastics have a red reflector anyway, and if I'm out in the dark the lights will go on anyway...

I'm also ripping off my wheel reflectors because they're super dumb and one fell off the other day anyway (bit of a hazard). My tyres are ultra dorky and have a reflective band anyway.

Yawn.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4845
    Hahaha, those damn reflectors!

I feel like a kid again when I unwrap a new bike and it has reflectors everywhere and one of them plastic doughnuts around the cassette to stop your gears being eaten by the wheel.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2903
    Can you post a pic of them? I'm struggling to see how they're an integral part of the safety system! You can always zip tie any loose cables to the frame/forks if you think they might flap into the wheel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Can you post a pic of them? I'm struggling to see how they're an integral part of the safety system! You can always zip tie any loose cables to the frame/forks if you think they might flap into the wheel.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=marin+four+corners&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis8Onww7_VAhWCIVAKHVfdCqUQ_AUIEigC&biw=600&bih=960#imgrc=7buNWvTp0pFHmM:

Seems, ER, a lie to be honest. 

Boromedic said:
    Hahaha, those damn reflectors!

I feel like a kid again when I unwrap a new bike and it has reflectors everywhere and one of them plastic doughnuts around the cassette to stop your gears being eaten by the wheel.

I can't be arsed to get that plastic ring off yet, but when it's deep clean time... :D

Today it's a general clean and mudguard fit day. I need to clean and lube the chain, it came from the shop with dry lube and one run out in the rain later... :( I'm going to try some wet ceramic lube I got cheap on offer instead, hopefully it'll last a bit better in the British summer. 

I don't get the law - I kind of understand pedal reflectors as they move and send a clear signal to drivers. But then, I want to replace the quite-shit platforms that came with the bike with a nice set of platforms but a lot of them don't have reflectors... Making them illegal?!
    Literally I just can't stand looking at them so I whip it straight off! I used to use Rock N Roll extreme blue lube (for my MTB) and it's great stuff although it turns your cassette a lovely shade of blue! I can't get dry lubes to work too well in the UK's changeable weather, so the wet stuff is best. (This is a weird conversation chatting about lube!! Hahaha)

Yeah I've never really investigated the rule of the law and I always use Shimano SPD clipless and the have no space for reflectors so how does that work. I suppose I make up for it as my MTB shoes are made completely from reflective material so you can't miss them. 

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    TTBZ said:
    Cantilever brakes with the old style straddle cable should have something to stop the straddle cable catching on the tyre in the event that the main brake cable fails. So if your bike is set up that way, then the reflectors (on a metal bracket that passes underneath the straddle cable) do form an integral part of the bikes safety system. However, it has been 20 plus years since that system was current tech, as straddle cables were replaced by link cables, then V-brakes and then discs. If you do have old style cantis with straddle cables then a mudguard will do the job and you can safely remove the reflectors.
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    The law says you must have a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors after dark. The front and wheel ones are not a legal requirement, although complete bikes have to have m at point of sale I believe. You must also have a set of lights.

If you get hit by a careless driver they may use the lack of the legally required reflectors to try to diminish their liability. It will not count that you are dressed up like a Christmas tree festooned with blinky lights and reflective decals as their poor eyes will only be able to see those little orange things going round with the pedals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017

A la.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Nobody sells bikes with brakes like that any more. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 987
    That paint pattern looks familiar, I had something similar on an old Universal mountain bike I had about 25 years ago
  • Boromedic said:
    Literally I just can't stand looking at them so I whip it straight off! I used to use Rock N Roll extreme blue lube (for my MTB) and it's great stuff although it turns your cassette a lovely shade of blue! I can't get dry lubes to work too well in the UK's changeable weather, so the wet stuff is best. (This is a weird conversation chatting about lube!! Hahaha)

Yeah I've never really investigated the rule of the law and I always use Shimano SPD clipless and the have no space for reflectors so how does that work. I suppose I make up for it as my MTB shoes are made completely from reflective material so you can't miss them. 

I always used to use fenwicks chain oil, which always worked absolutely great, but I got a bottle of this stuff on offer...

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants/ceramic-wet-lube

Apparently it's pretty good stuff. I was a bit alarmed as I'd just degreased the chain and cassette with Fenwicks FS1 but on working the new oil in (just one drop per link, same as I've always done) it turned quite a dark grey-black colour! Apparently it's completely normal to do that, so I shan't worry... :) 

I would go on a ride today but without mudguards, I'll just get absolutely soaked and filthy. I don't mind rain, but not the dirt... 

Pic of the bike here: 

Didn't manage to get the bloody stickers off before the heavens opened! Not happy. Also, the front derailleur needs indexing - it was fine on the first few rides but seems to have relaxed back a bit and now rubs when on the middle cog. I've never indexed gears before, so I'm a bit nervous about doing it. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2448
    edited August 2017
    the_twin said:
    Nobody sells bikes with brakes like that any more. 
    Not quite, canti brakes are still used on some cyclocross bikes, in certain conditions they can have durability advantages over disc brakes (on sandy courses especially)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    You know what, I admit my own foolishness as I never cared for the law regarding cycling. Funny because as a driver I'm extremely up on the law. My own fault there. 

But the first thing I do when getting a bike is take the front, rear and wheel reflectors off, even the pedals if theyre removable because 'i think they look uncool'. And the bell... 

I also ride on pavements. 

But thats due to being a driver for the past 10 years and seeing how bloody stupid motorists are. 

I wouldnt ride dangerously or through crowds N I'd always give pedestrians the right of way, so I'm not a total outlaw. 

Not that I ask this to defend my own illegal actions here, but as a curious question. 

Has anyone ever been stopped by the police because you're riding on pavements? 

Around here, everyone does, including me since I first started riding. Past officers, in sight of police cars etc, so I kind of thought it was a law that they have tolerance with to some extent. 

Not that thats to say I'm unaware there have been people seriously injured by cyclists when they've been using pavements. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • skunkwerx said:
    You know what, I admit my own foolishness as I never cared for the law regarding cycling. Funny because as a driver I'm extremely up on the law. My own fault there. 

But the first thing I do when getting a bike is take the front, rear and wheel reflectors off, even the pedals if theyre removable because 'i think they look uncool'. And the bell... 

I also ride on pavements. 

But thats due to being a driver for the past 10 years and seeing how bloody stupid motorists are. 

I wouldnt ride dangerously or through crowds N I'd always give pedestrians the right of way, so I'm not a total outlaw. 

Not that I ask this to defend my own illegal actions here, but as a curious question. 

Has anyone ever been stopped by the police because you're riding on pavements? 

Around here, everyone does, including me since I first started riding. Past officers, in sight of police cars etc, so I kind of thought it was a law that they have tolerance with to some extent. 

Not that thats to say I'm unaware there have been people seriously injured by cyclists when they've been using pavements. 

No, but I have seen someone stopped by police - the police were in a car and the guy was riding a pavement near King's Parade. 

Outside of the busy parts, nope, not at all - I doubt anyone particularly cares. Hence why I probably won't worry about my reflectors :) if I'm out in the dark the lights go on anyway. 
    Boromedic said:

I always used to use fenwicks chain oil, which always worked absolutely great, but I got a bottle of this stuff on offer...

Apparently it's pretty good stuff. I was a bit alarmed as I'd just degreased the chain and cassette with Fenwicks FS1 but on working the new oil in (just one drop per link, same as I've always done) it turned quite a dark grey-black colour! Apparently it's completely normal to do that, so I shan't worry... :) 

I would go on a ride today but without mudguards, I'll just get absolutely soaked and filthy. I don't mind rain, but not the dirt... 

Pic of the bike here: 

Didn't manage to get the bloody stickers off before the heavens opened! Not happy. Also, the front derailleur needs indexing - it was fine on the first few rides but seems to have relaxed back a bit and now rubs when on the middle cog. I've never indexed gears before, so I'm a bit nervous about doing it. 
    Yeah that Finish Line stuff is supposed to be pretty good, I hate it when you start trying to do stuff and the weather ruins it. Never mind there's always tomorrow maybe?

Lovely looking bike btw, I've not fitted mudguards for years but I'm sure the SKS ones will be pretty straightforward. Regarding your front derailleur is it not just cable stretch causing the issue, new cables tend to stretch over the first few rides so if you have an inline adjuster somewhere (I think they're in your cables at the front looking at them), then tighten it up a tad and see if it helps? Some brifters have a small adjustment in them for the mid range but I think thats on a 2x rather than 3x front derailleur.

I suspect getting the front mudguard stays around the disc brake will be a pain in the arse. And there isn't anything to bolt the bridge onto at the back by the looks of it so a bodge with zip ties is likely to be required. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Theres a few cool gadgets out there I've seen. Indicators that flash amber, they are basically bar end plugs with a button on. They look sweet. Saw a youtube ad, advertising them. 

Also if bar ends are your bag, I've seen decathlon sell light up ones. 

Failing that wear one of the bibs that a lot of bikers wear... you know the 'POLITE' ones, written in the Police font... lol! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • the_twin said:
    I suspect getting the front mudguard stays around the disc brake will be a pain in the arse. And there isn't anything to bolt the bridge onto at the back by the looks of it so a bodge with zip ties is likely to be required. 

The front is going to be a pain - I've booked into the store next Saturday to do it as it's actually quite a fiddly process anyway! The rear should be super easy, there are mounts on the back that are easy to get to but I decided I'd rather a pro do it. 

The front needs a special bolt thing that basically sticks the mount out beyond the disk brake - I let the shop know they're disc brake models and that I have chromoplastics and they said they'd get them fitted. So fingers crossed. 

If they don't work out, I'll flog the one I've opened, return the one that's still packaged and have a look at something else. Raceblades were my preferred choice but they don't go wide enough :(
  • Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:

Pic of the bike here: 

Yeah that Finish Line stuff is supposed to be pretty good, I hate it when you start trying to do stuff and the weather ruins it. Never mind there's always tomorrow maybe?

Lovely looking bike btw, I've not fitted mudguards for years but I'm sure the SKS ones will be pretty straightforward. Regarding your front derailleur is it not just cable stretch causing the issue, new cables tend to stretch over the first few rides so if you have an inline adjuster somewhere (I think they're in your cables at the front looking at them), then tighten it up a tad and see if it helps? Some brifters have a small adjustment in them for the mid range but I think thats on a 2x rather than 3x front derailleur.

Yup, that was exactly it - I tightened to cable just a tiny bit from the adjustment thingy on the cable, a few tests to make sure it was indexed okay otherwise and viola, smooth changes and no rattles! 

The bike is lovely. Heavy (12kg) but it's tough and rolls over anything. I'm no lightweight myself so it doesn't make sense to get an ultra light bike. If I get into it again this will be my commuter (as it's chock full of places for racks, mudguards etc) and then have a separate fast bike for the weekend.

But as I say, perhaps when I'm a bit lighter myself :) for now, it's just great to have a nice bike again. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    Fitting chromoplastic mudguards can be a bit of a pain. I think your front one has similar mounting points to mine, so you end up with curly stays and a tricky bolting method to the fork crown. You've saved yourself a decent amount of pain by getting the shop to do it!
    They're totally worth having though if you intend to use the bike all year, they give much better coverage than things like raceblades.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.