Actual NGD: Edwards '54 Black Beauty - updated

What's Hot
LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
edited August 2017 in Guitar
Hi guys,

After much searching, many WTB posts, and so on around vintage-appointed LPs and Semi-hollows, I decided "F**k it", and bought this. It's a Gibson Custom Shop 1954 Black beauty Edwards E-LP130CD/P in Piano black. It's got SD pickups, Gotoh bridge/tuners, triple binding, ebony fretboard etc. and every single MIJ guitar I've ever owned has been outrageously well appointed:

Pickup Choice:
Ever since getting a Vintage V120 and putting an Oil City P90 pickup in it, I've really really enjoyed the raunch, and watching Johan Segeborn's comparison only reinforced my opinion that this was a pickup I needed back in my life again:

Visuals:
Watching Neville's interview on 'Captain Meets..' showed me the beauty of a Black LP-custom without gold pickups, and an Edwards John Sykes model was something I gassed for, for ages (until I got a Gibson BK Halycon LP that it's my only guitar at the moment!). 

Search:
So combining the two, a black-on-black with gold hardware LP with binding and P90's was the goal - and they really just don't exist in any numbers - t
hat configuration from Gibson is only available in the Stds (which are like hens teeth with P90's) with aftermarket parts. 

Alternatives:
Getting shot of my unplayed instruments (well, all two of them since the wife wanted to keep the acoustic) freed up some cash, and though I did sojourn towards 339's the LP body is something I've fallen over in love with.  I'd considered getting a Gretsch or Epi and upgrading it - but having done that with both my MIM Tele and MIJ Ibanez I've accepted the truth that, that's just a black hole you're pouring money into.

Decision:
The Edwards ticks all the boxes for me - it's light, it's got a 59ish neck profile,  the right colours, knobs, great pickups, tuners, bridge, etc. If I had to pick a problem, it would be that it's poly instead of a nitro finish (and maybe that a real '54 CS would beat the pants off of it). But that is a compromise I'm happy to make!

Now I have to sit on my hands for the 3 weeks it will take to arrive, and the £250 customs duty when it actually turns up at my door.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1950
    edited August 2017
    Nice buy!!

I had a Goldtop SG1802 with SD P90s and the air it pushed through a Tweed was just glorious.

You'll enjoy that a lot   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ouch, that's beautiful @Schnozz ! We'll see how the reality pans out, but for now it's looking very positive and I'm excited to unwrap it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2017
    I had an Edwards Goldtop with P90s once, seriously nice guitar, outrageously well put together, and one of the best Les Paul's Ive ever had. Nice score - That's a really really cool looking guitar you have on the way 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good score!

I've got an Edwards Goldtop. The fit & finish are outstanding. FAR better than any Gibson I've played. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZyylA
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Bloody lovely!!!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Good score!

I've got an Edwards Goldtop. The fit & finish are outstanding. FAR better than any Gibson I've played. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZyylA
    I'm a bit wary of A/B'ing it quality-wise against my Gibson - ultimately it's probably not in the same league, but hopefully that won't stop me enjoying it.
  • Awesome! Always had a hankering for an Edwards, just never enough guts to buy blind though. Looking forward to hearing how it is.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Love Edwards guitars and the LP in particular - looks great with the P90's too!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1790
    I had a cherry sunburst Edwards and sort of regret getting rid of it as I have remained Les Paul less since.

This version with the p90 has caught my eye a couple of times in the past so just a little bit jealous. Enjoy
  • I'm happy to hear the positive feedback, best to stay grounded tho just incase it turns out to be a dog; it'll have been a big chunk of change to lose out on.

If I work under the assumption it's at least passable, then even if my P90 obsession wanes, I could always put in some TV-Jones or mini humbuckers. We'll see how it pans out. 
    It wont be a dog - Edwards are one of the brands I would happily drop dough on sight unseen confident that it will be a great guitar
  • Well, it's here! 

Your parcel is currently with the customs authorities and is being assessed for import duties and local taxes. These will be notified to the addressee and usually need to be paid prior to the parcel being delivered.

Looks like it's being assessed by customs currently. Do they send me a snail mail? Do they attempt to deliver and then take payment? I've not done this in years!
    Depends who the courier is - most of them will email or message you with a link to pay online 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    That is pretty as fuck.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
    edited August 2017
    EMS in Japan, Parcelforce in the UK @BloodEagle ;

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    awesome, always thought that model looked amazing
  • And here we go! 13 days door-to-door:

http://i.imgur.com/16I0L1t.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Xyx0Sss.jpg

It's definitely new stock, but by the age of the strings and dusty fretboard I'm going to assume it wasn't a swift mover, which is why I got it at the price I did - overall £787 for the guitar, £97 for shipping and £163 for duty and handling fee. I admit for this price I could have got myself a Les Paul Trad, but as discussed this comes with THE SPEC. I've seen one listed on Rakuten for £746 since purchasing this, so you might want to grab yourself a bargain: https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ekiweb/item/20150604-esp-21/

Initial impressions:
    Sound - as expected it totally rips the arse out of my HB equipped LP on anything from clean to mid-gain heavy crunch. Once we're into 'cranked plexi' territory then the HB's win out, especially with my Klon in front. I'm eager to try it infront of a Fender-style amp too. On a clean setting there's a very pleasing woody 'clap' on the neck pickup, and I generally hate clean bridge pickup sounds but this one is quite sweet with the tone rolled all the way off off.

Looks - Absolutely looks the business, brass toggle switch, gold hardware and absolutely flawless finish - it must be a very thin poly coat because around the end of the fretboard the corners are very tight, as opposed to my LP's somewhat curved edges. The neck is chunkier than the 60's slim taper on my LP but absolutely nothing like the R8 necks I was looking at. It's very comfortable but more sticky than my LP (maybe it just needs a good clean), so  I'm going to rough up the back of the neck on this baby. It's the same thickness as my regular LP but obviously is double bound. All of the binding is aged other than the front face of the neck binding for some reason. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
  • I'm a sucker for it looking accurate but I've heard the staple pickups are a kind of hot tele neck pickup?
    Re vintage tinted binding -on older Les Paul's its not the actual binding that's yellowing in the main, it's the clear lacquer covering it, therefore, no lacquer on the top binding of the fretboard means no yellowing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom