Fargo - Far gone?

57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
Did you all go the distance with the last Fargo?

Observations invited.

* Mr Wrench reappeared to partner Nikki Swango and is the only character to appear/be referenced in all three series.

* What was with Vargo and the self mutilating with the metal toothpick??

There were also other references to Cohen productions littered about...

Was thoroughly absorbing and confusing as usual.
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    edited August 2017
    Yeah I watched the whole thing. Thought it was ok but not as good as the last series.

I thought the whole Varga bullimia thing was going to have some sort of point, but it didn't go anywhere.

David Thewlis was the star of the show, really understated acting and yet very menacing. 

What the hell was the bowling alley scene about??!! Was that guy God? 

Sadly I don't know enough about Coen brothers films to spot the references. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited August 2017
    /\ You need to Google some of these points as there are a slew of interpretations and eagle-eyed observations. Seems some ppl have no lives! BUT it still is intriguing to read and makes you want to revisit scenes to  form the links. Are loads of clips on YTube

The Bowling Alley was 'Purgatory' and  the Paul Marane character (Laura Plamer's Dad from Twin Peaks) appeared earlier in this series where he chatted to Gloria at the Bar on her little trip... This Purgatory reference is heavily Jewish faith-centric it seems so maybe not obvious to all. The choice of an old Beetle is also an ironic reference to Nazis it seems!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Watched the first episode, got the result on Sky+, but haven't summoned up the enthusiasm to watch them, probably because the last series was so great.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I agree that the third series was not as good as the previous two. In fact, I would go as afar as to say that I was a bit deflated at the end. Not sure where it goes from here.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Enjoyed it - engrossing as always but 1 was better than 2 which was better than 3
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I enjoyed it.... fell in love with Nikki Swango and thought Thewlis was brilliant.  
    But the last episode/ending was disappointing.  
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Trying not to read too much into this thread as I've seen only 1st episode.

I have seen first two series and I think they are absolutely great tv. 

This is one? I somehow lost interest. I will watch it at some point - I'm sure. Just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7174
    Loved it. 1st series was narrowly better for me, but this was close behind, with the second somewhat confusingly in third.